[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Alternative to the bent press

Alternative to the bent press

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Alternative to the bent press

Postby Cade » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:43 am

The bent press is an exercise I always wanted to incorporate into my fitness routine. The thing is, I don't think my lower back can handle the twisting motion under pressure. Does anyone have alternative exercises that stress the same muscles in a similar fashion?
Cade

Re: Alternative to the bent press

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:22 am

Not sure what a bent press is, you got a picture or video?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Cade » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 pm

This article pretty much covers it: http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/how-to-bent-press/
Cade

Postby blinki » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm not really sure why anyone would do that other than cause it looks interesting so not really sure what you are trying to train with it?

My best guess is shoulders/tris and core? I'd just do them separate, making sure your programme has sufficient pressing and heavy compounds with extra core stuff if you fancy it
blinki

Postby Cade » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 am

This was a staple of the old strongmen and it helped to build a rock-solid trunk. The bent press will make your lats very strong and improve hip mobility. Arthur Saxon and Sandow used this exercise a great deal in their training. It pretty much works out your entire body.
Cade

Postby blinki » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:25 am

Yeah but like you pretty much said it is not back friendly at all. If you have a well balanced programme, I don't think you'll be missing anything by not doing it. Together those are probably why you don't see much of it and I don't get why you'd be trying to specifically replace it on general terms. I don't think there is anything that replaces it like for like anyway so I'd get the question more if it were something more specific like suggesting core stability exercises
blinki

Postby Cade » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 pm

You're right, there's nothing quite like the bent press so it'll be hard to replace with an alternate. I did find a guy on YouTube who breaks the steps down without using weight. I will try it out that way to stretch my trunk out first then add small weights.

I feel if the old strongmen found it of value, it's worth doing.
Cade

Postby baldy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:56 pm

How about something like a Turkish Get up?

[quote="Cade"]I feel if the old strongmen found it of value, it's worth doing.

Not sure about that logic, lots of crazy stuff the old strongmen used or had to do for comps. Probably a reason why people don't do them any more.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Cade » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 pm

[quote="baldy"]How about something like a Turkish Get up?

[quote="Cade"]I feel if the old strongmen found it of value, it's worth doing.

Not sure about that logic, lots of crazy stuff the old strongmen used or had to do for comps. Probably a reason why people don't do them any more.

I know Pavel still promotes the bent press with his kettlebell training so it's still a valuable exercise.

The Turkish Get up has been compared to the bent press in some ways. Definitely worth doing. Thanks!
Cade

Return to Power and Strength