Looking for advice for first competition

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Looking for advice for first competition

Postby Webb » Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm competing in my first strongman competition next weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for non-lifting related items I should consider taking. I'm not really sure what snacks to take, I have never eaten while training so I don't know what foods do or do not sit well for me while I'm doing events. I imagine fruit, oats, protein, etc.. will do, I just don't want too much sugar cause it can make me feel sick. It will be indoors so I figured I can just refill a water bottle in the bathroom as needed. I'll probably take a change of clothes as well, and a friend is letting me use the tacky he is bringing.
Webb

Re: Looking for advice for first competition

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm

loo roll, builders bars, smartphone with camera
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JP » Wed May 28, 2014 10:36 am

nice one! whats the competition? what are the events?

People have different strategies, personally i would have a hearty breakfast, oatmeal, mysli or something like that, and then keep feeding myself mainly bananas and some kind of bars with high carb content throughout the competition. i decide beforehand when i should eat a banana for instance so i dont forget it in the rush of a competition. Usually a good time is straight after the second event (maximum time to digest). I also drink a about 50/50 sugary isotonic drinks and water through the day.

many comps run way over time, and keeping the energy up is vital.

I go high on caffeine and other stimulants so thats another thing to note so you dont get a crash. Constrant supply = no crash :)

go through every event and think what you need for them, and pack your bag accordingly. take things like straps and stuff anyway, you never know if they change rules and you can use them anyway.

Think which shoes you use for each event, lifting shoes, hiking boots, running shoes etc.

have own supply of chalk and stuff like that too.

all the best for the comp :) let us know how it goes!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Webb » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 am

Thanks for the replies! The competition is RVA Alpha Strongman and the events are a medley (axle, log, DL, 18" DL), farmers hold for time, yoke race 40ft and back, keg/sled medley, and max stones. The novice division has LW and HW classes, under and over 200, I'm in the LW.

I was planning on just drinking water, but isotonic drinks definitely make sense to bring, as do clif bars. I'm going to bring some chalk, and my belt is the only equipment I'm using. I'll probably have a different shirt for the stones.

Thanks, I hope I get some videos to post. I've had a lot of fun training for it, I think I will have a great time.
Webb

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri May 30, 2014 5:55 pm

wasn't joking about loo roll. They will quite likely run out of it ...
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby silver » Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm

...and you won't be alone in being nervous...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby Webb » Sat May 31, 2014 3:17 am

Haha thanks, I know, it's already in the bag.
Webb

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 pm

The competition was awesome! I had a ton of fun and can't wait to do another one. I placed 7th of 9 in my class, didn't place last in any of the events, got 3rd in one event, and was the lightest person so I feel great about it.
Webb

Postby mo! » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:19 pm

cool. :)
Congrats, too!
mo!

Return to Power and Strength