Vegan strength table 2005

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

First update

Postby Oak » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:19 am

Great everybody.

How close is veganEssentials to that 600kg total? Just 15.9kg to go! I was hoping to catch up with you big guys this year. But it's just not going to happen. Next year though...

Johnathan - do you see you've moved to Pos 7, not bad at all - that deadlift is getting big. That deadlifting of Kathryns is also getting scary - almost near Rene's and Crystals!
Although Rene was testing hers this week so have to see how she does.

Great Squatting Ironman d, hope to see you doing more of the same. You did this PB with Joni right? Better get back down the gym with him :lol:

MichaelHobson - you meany, why do you have to be so strong! Taken over me, I am no longer in the top 10 :cry: ! It's so cool actually to see so many people progressing. Now you need to lift 0.4kg (about 1lb) to get even with Blaz.

Check out your positions on the wilks as a few of you have gone up,
Oak :D
Oak

Re: First update

Postby michaelhobson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Oak wrote:MichaelHobson - you meany, why do you have to be so strong! Taken over me, I am no longer in the top 10 :cry: ! It's so cool actually to see so many people progressing. Now you need to lift 0.4kg (about 1lb) to get even with Blaz.

Sorry Oak! Yeah I'm not far behind Blaz and Jonathan, but then it is another 100kg to get in to the top 5 :shock:

Oh well, it does give us something to work for. I need to find some vegan lifters in Richmond to workout with. I find it hard to relate to the guys at the gym talking about eating 10 chickens a day!

Thanks again for maintaining the strength table, everyone seems to really enjoy it.
michaelhobson

Postby willpeavy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:34 pm

Hey Oak thanks for maintaining this chart!!!

These aren't my 1 rep maxes (I don't even know what my 1 rep maxes are, these are just my maxes for my normal sets I've done). I need to find a good spotter at the gym to help me out before I try maxing out

I'll probably be the lowest person on the list, but I just wanted to get some numbers up on the strength table to try to improve upon.

my weight = 82kg

bench = 61kg
dead = 84kg
squat = 45kg

***Note: the squats were done with the 50lb dumbbells (the deads and benches were done by the normal rules). I'll do normal squats (barbell on shoulders) next week at the gym and post my results on here.
willpeavy

Postby tylerm » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:35 pm

Will, you will probably quickly jump up in weights now that you are at a proper gym. With all the dips, pullups and pushups you list in your log, it sure sounds like you have lots of strength.
tylerm

30!

Postby Oak » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:47 pm

Great Will, You are the 30th person on the table.

Those lifts are good and i think that you can do more on the squat. So looking forward to hearing about how that went.
Also you are really close to the 100kg deadlift benchmark :wink:

Starting off on the bottom is exciting because for almost every improvement you'll be overtaking someone :lol:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby michaelhobson » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:07 pm

So I set out to do deadlifts today just for reps, but you guys have me started on this 1 rep max thing. It's great fun and I can't seem to just lift for reps right now. Here is how it went:

10x135lb
8x185
5x225
1x325
1x335
1x345 or 156.5kg

Until next week... :twisted:
michaelhobson

Postby willpeavy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:29 am

I did deads and squats tonight and I pushed much harder than last week:

squat - 75kg
dead - 102kg
willpeavy

Postby willpeavy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:44 am

Did bench presses tonight and bested last week's bench by 10 lbs (about 4.5kg)

bench = 66kg
Last edited by willpeavy on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willpeavy

Postby buzz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:33 am

Aargghh - you've just over taken me Will :D

Watch out though, testing my new 1rpm's in about two weeks :twisted:
buzz

Postby willpeavy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:58 pm

Hey Buzz!!

It looks like we can have a friendly competition since we're both around the same level. I look forward to seeing your new numbers in a couple of weeks.

My legs are still aching pretty badly from my squat/dead session a couple days ago, so I'm going to rest up and be much easier on them next week!
willpeavy

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:44 pm

hehe
back session last night.
deadlifted 165kg (363lb). i have a photo that i will get up in my training log asap. i tell you something-holding the weight for 10seconds whilst kathryn took the photo is hard work!!
failed at 170kg :(
next time maybe-i have only been doing deadlifts and heavy lower back stuff for about 3-4months so im hoping that ill be up to 190kg ish by the fitness week.

jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby tylerm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:50 pm

Great DL jonathon. I can't wait till the end of this powerlifting routine where I get to do my 1 rep maxes! only a bit over 4 weeks before I start off with my bench 1 RM. I know I will destroy all my PR's, as I feel as though I could do so already :D

One thing that has really helped me with my deadlifting is paying attention to my breathing. I never did before, don't even know how I breathed while deadlifting. What I have been doing, and for squats as well, is to take in a big breath while squatting down and keeping the air in my diaphragm, pushing my belly out. Then hold it until you are almost locked out, and exhale. This made me fly through my last couple sets of deadlifts last week, while the first three seemed like much more work. I can't wait to deadlift tomorrow!
tylerm

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:11 pm

yeah-thats what i do too. inflating my belly really helps me lift more. i also found that (by following some advice from a link on here) if i concentrate more on pulling the weight backwards than upwards the weight flies up. i roll the weight perhaps 2inches towards me then i lift and that momentum carries me up.

jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby J » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:36 am

OK, so I have my bench on here as 129.5 but at a competition I did 134 but didn't pause long enough. (I didn't bounce it but I didn't come to a complete stop with the weight resting on my chest.) And on the squat I have 152 but at a comp I did 156.8 just slightly losing my balance and needing to take a step forward at the finish thus it wasn't counted. (It reallys seems dumb to me that that would be redlighted.)

.....I'd like that extra 20 pounds to put me at 502.2..... :) Been so long since I put anything new I just wanted something to feel good about. If you don't think the lifts should count as they were both redlighted that's fine. Anyway the squat and deadlift won't be going anywhere for probably a very long time as they are both bothering my lower back. It seems no matter what I do I round the lower back just a little when bringing my damm thighs up into my stomach. I'm starting to think I'm just not built right.
J

Postby VeganEssentials » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:11 am

C'mon, J - you're built to be able to put up some big squat and DL numbers in the future! Hell, less than 3 months ago I was telling myself that there was no way in hell I'd be squatting 500 in anything less than a few years' time, and with some form change I'm already getting dangerously close. Perhaps taking some time to analyze form and possibly work on some changes to it and you might start craking out PRs like never before. Hell, I said I'd never be able to do low bar squats and they were my key to progress, and I might even change to sumo stance for DLs just to see if I can boost things up with them as well. Never underestimate how much altering form can change things!

You punched up some big improvements in the DL at the meet, and I'm sure you've got it in you to keep boosting it. Just watch that lower back and keep at it - before long I'm sure you'll be back knocking out some new numbers. As I know too well, if you've gone through a lot of long work/school days and stress recently that's not a time where you can expect a lot of progress - if you can maintain through them and bust it all out afterward you're set. Don't give up hope on it too soon!

Ryan
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength