British School Culture of Weightlifting

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Did you have access to weightlifting at:

Secondary (high) School
38%
College
No votes
Neither
63%

Total votes : 8

Postby buzz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Deckerz (wayne) on here is/was a secondary school PE teacher, and taught plenty kettlebell stuff from what I can remember him saying.

I didn't have access to anything, though I do remember a wee secret weights room at school. Not sure who got to use it though.

Not a school, but good vid of a weightlifting club on the west coast - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZhadz4 ... r_embedded
buzz

Postby Andrewc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Hayden wrote:My highschool (in Australia) had a simple weights gym including the standard cable and weight stack machines. We weren't allowed to use it until we were 15 or 16 years old. No help with programs, no technique help...nothing
finding olympic weightlifting equipment in Victorian gyms is very rare.

My school had no weights whatsoever, not even a single dumbbell. Although we had a lot of sports teams and good facilities in general, including a gymnastics foam pit which a few friends and I would use when we'd sneak into the gymnasium after hours. 8)
Andrewc

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:47 pm

I remember being introduced to weights in senior school and going mad one day and puking my guts up all over the floor. But to be honest I was too busy smoking weed to be bothered with weight trainining... loved hockey though :oops:
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Previous

Return to Power and Strength