ch 5's coverage of WSM

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

ch 5's coverage of WSM

Postby gauze » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

what did i do to deserve this shit? the commentary never fails to patronise me and the competitor's. nick halling even had the cheek to say a competitor had "a lot to learn about this strongman business" - just terrible. and it's obvious Colin Bryce is head ref, so why have him commentate too and not have him mention anything worthwhile? and perhaps the most disgusting thing of all - not having the final on NYD. jan 2nd, who gives a shit? i remember watching strongman when i was younger and being amazed by everything, i just can't see channel 5's coverage having the same effect on anyone.
gauze

Postby Phil2 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah it was funny how you could see Colin Bryce on the screen yet he was also doing commentary as if it was 'live'.

To be fair on c5 at least they picked WSM up when BBC didn't want it any more. Shame they also did the same with Neighbours :(
Phil2

Postby JP » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 pm

The main show from TWI (production company) WSM and BSM are pretty poor in comparison to some stuff thats made from the superseries and then what the eastern europeans put out.

I dont quite understand their target market - but many workmates and random people always talk about how they saw a show and talk about the weights in amazement. So i guess it does sell?
JP
Site Admin

Postby gauze » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 pm

hey JP, did you hear about Arild Haugen giving up strongman for boxing? seems crazy, but i guess he's chasing the $.
gauze

Postby JP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:41 pm

i didnt hear that he went to boxing - just that he stopped strongman! Imagine receiving a jab from him :D

Oli Thompson did an amateur wrestling match recently:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-siW0n31QE

imagine signin up to a nice and relaxed amateur submission wrestling thing and then hearing that you will face him :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Re: ch 5's coverage of WSM

Postby Centinal » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 am

gauze wrote:what did i do to deserve this shit? the commentary never fails to patronise me and the competitor's. nick halling even had the cheek to say a competitor had "a lot to learn about this strongman business" - just terrible. and it's obvious Colin Bryce is head ref, so why have him commentate too and not have him mention anything worthwhile? and perhaps the most disgusting thing of all - not having the final on NYD. jan 2nd, who gives a shit? i remember watching strongman when i was younger and being amazed by everything, i just can't see channel 5's coverage having the same effect on anyone.

The Guy he was referring to about 'not knowing the strongman game' was Brian Siders. He's a damn fine powerlifter and competitor at The Arnold Classic. He's one of my favorite squatters.

The commentators really annoyed me too. They say the same old thing over and over. They have no idea of the pain everyone who qualified went through to get there.

But then i am also grateful that Channel 5 televised it at all. Not everyone has satellite do they?
"Thank you for your recent enquiry. Our gym does indeed have free weights - they go up to 20kg. Unfortunately we don't have a squat rack but we have mats and Swiss balls for you to do squats on, if that's any help."

http://www.teambarbarian.com/
Centinal

Re: ch 5's coverage of WSM

Postby ninearms » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:16 am

Centinal wrote:The commentators really annoyed me too. They say the same old thing over and over. They have no idea of the pain everyone who qualified went through to get there.

Hmm...I think Colin Bryce might have some idea...
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby JP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 am

have to remember, they are not interested in commentating the events to people like us!

This is one of the differences between strongman and other "real" sports: any other sport commentating would be aimed at people who are interested in that sport in its own merits - not just as a freak show spectacle.

The commentating in finland is touch different, more focused on the sport itself. The shows are usually aired quickly after the comp, last time it was on the next day, and the commentating was done by that channels sports journalists.

WSM and BSM is a freakshow, aimed to create awe and wonder among the spectators. From that point of view they do their job ok IMO.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Power and Strength