Vegan Strength Table 2008

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Ambi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Is there a qualifiable way of doing the lifts with dumbells, or would I need to find some barbells to get on the table?

Not that it's a pressing issue, I've never even done a deadlift. I haven't got around to telling my instructor "I want to do bench presses and squats and deadlifts so I can have an entry on an internet message board".
Ambi

Postby buzz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:40 pm

[quote="Ambi"]Is there a qualifiable way of doing the lifts with dumbells, or would I need to find some barbells to get on the table?

'Fraid not, need to get on the barbell case.

[quote]Not that it's a pressing issue, I've never even done a deadlift. I haven't got around to telling my instructor "I want to do bench presses and squats and deadlifts so I can have an entry on an internet message board".

Just tell them you've been liasing with some well informed top-levels strength athletes, and free weights are the way to go :)
buzz

Postby Ambi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Last time I saw her I said I wanted less of the machines and more compound lifts, because I'm easily influenced. I'm off the machines for everything but pulldowns now, but apart from insisting on squats (I'm doing freaky ones on half a stability ball for some extra core work), I didn't get more compound stuff.

I'm going to keep training with dumbells and look for a gym I can go to for a session to use barbells. I figure my BB squat weight isn't something I can work out from DB exercises, but with bench presses and deadlifts it should translate fairly well, right?

Also, can I trust random folks at the gym to spot me? I don't have anyone suitable to bring along.
Ambi

Postby buzz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

[quote="Ambi"]Last time I saw her I said I wanted less of the machines and more compound lifts, because I'm easily influenced. I'm off the machines for everything but pulldowns now, but apart from insisting on squats (I'm doing freaky ones on half a stability ball for some extra core work), I didn't get more compound stuff.

I'm going to keep training with dumbells and look for a gym I can go to for a session to use barbells. I figure my BB squat weight isn't something I can work out from DB exercises, but with bench presses and deadlifts it should translate fairly well, right?

Also, can I trust random folks at the gym to spot me? I don't have anyone suitable to bring along.

Main base of your sessions should really be squats, deads, and pressing, but it would be unusual to find a PT who will actually build a routine like this. Dumbells are ok, but worth mixing it up with barbells too, I'd say majority of work (at least compound work) should be done using barbells rather than dumbells.

Yeah, squat you won't get too much of an idea, as with a barbell would be a fair bit higher than any DB variation, same with deadlift really, but bench would be fairly relative (like pressing 10kg DB's might equate to 25-30kg BB). Main thing to get spotted on is bench (and squat depending on equipment/cage used), and randoms should be ok, just make sure they don't give you assistance on the positive on the lift ("It's all you... BB style :))
buzz

Postby Ambi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm not going to be using barbells regularly any time soon :-/. I don't have space for a bench at home, and going to a different gym would be less convenient and cost 2-4 times as much as I'm paying now.
Ambi

Postby The Duke » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Ambi,

You got a choice here ...

If you want to weigh 98 kilos, be fat and ugly, have stubble, and be capable of tearing the arms off a Hell's Angel ... just follow Buzz's advise.

If, however, you want to weigh 96 kilos, be fat and ugly, have stubble, and be capable of tearing the arms off a Hell's Angel ... you need to come to me! :D

I'm the ripped one, see?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 pm

[quote="The Duke"]You got a choice here ...

You either vote for the mumps or the measles :?
SpugFab

Postby Ambi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 pm

I met an ex- Hell's Angel/prison bike gang member last month. I reckon I could have had him!

Advise any time you feel like it. I like my crazy wobbly squats though, they're fun.
Ambi

Postby buzz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 pm

[quote="Ambi"]I'm not going to be using barbells regularly any time soon :-/. I don't have space for a bench at home, and going to a different gym would be less convenient and cost 2-4 times as much as I'm paying now.

Ah, I didn't realise your current gym didn't have any barbells :? Maybe buy a cheap one and sneak it in?

[quote="The Duke"]I'm the ripped one, see?

Sounds like time for a pose off! You haven't seen new improved '08 metro-buzz :)
buzz

Postby The Duke » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:14 pm

[quote="buzz"] You haven't seen new improved '08 metro-buzz :)

Are you "February Cover Guy - Mens Health"?

Ultimate abbs in eight weeks ... by Buzz.

Get laid four times a day ... Buzz's great advice inside.

Our cover model reveals inside how to go from 25% bodyfat to 6% in only three weeks with no difficult dieting, just daily vomiting and constant diarrhoea ...

Give your girl the ultimate orgasm - more advice from Buzz inside ...

The Karma Sutra ... Jordan and Peter Andre. Critique by Buzz ...

Shock story ... Peter admits Buzz has better abbs ...

Five orgasms a day ... "Use your head says Buzz". (Who has reportedly had several ribs removed and spent hours making his back more supple).

The truth about The Duke ... By Buzz "He's a c... ... ... ..." more inside.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Now now children - enough trash talking. This is a serious thread where serious people post serious feats of strength. :lol: 8)

Can one of you moderator types split the thread please! :D
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby big_james » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]quote]
Yeah, I'm sure my form is terrible. I've never had any one on one tuition, I just pick it up by watching videos on YouTube. If only Edinburgh wasn't so far away. :cry:

James, we seem very closely matched in height, weight and lifts. Start a training log and go for it. :P

training log? in a book or online here?

i'm lucky, i train with a UK junior champ (he uses suits and knee wraps) but he really helps with form. and having some one tell you your back is straight and feet and hands and bum are all in the right place really helps.
big_james

Postby Jr. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey Jono,can you put my 280 deadlift from last sunday on the table.It was for 2 but that doesn't matter.Want to get a 300 next thursday without straps hopefully.
Jr.

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 am

[quote="big_james"]training log? in a book or online here?

Here, http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
And while you're at it, get yourself on this list, http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12941
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby ralst » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:20 am

[quote="Jr."]Hey Jono,can you put my 280 deadlift from last sunday on the table.It was for 2 but that doesn't matter.Want to get a 300 next thursday without straps hopefully.

That's a huge deadlift :shock:

Jonathan, could you update my squat on the table to 129.2?

Thanks,
Eric
ralst

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength