Lordmuppet's first comp report

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Lordmuppet's first comp report

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am

BDFPA Scottish Push/Pull 2012

Decided to go by public transport so woke up at 5am (about 5 hours sleep unfortunately) to get all kit together and catch the 7.30am bus. Got 7.30 bus to train and then took that for 4 stops. Total trip door to door was 2 hours and cost £13 return.

Thing was set up at a small gym called Boab's gym. Had given up on weighing in at 67.5kg a few weeks ago. Not sure why. Anyway so I weighed in at 71.5kg. About 11 lifters. People were very friendly and helpful. Mostly an older crowd (45 plus) with two other young ones like me. I'm a bit of klutz so was making a bit of a mess of the rules for my first few lifts. Didn't know about the one minute rule for lifting after the bar is loaded and kept forgetting to go tell referees my next lift.

Warming up with record holders was certainly fun! Started off with a light opening lift on both bench and deadlift as has been drilled into my head by Baldy, Talyn and JP amongst others (thanks!). So yeah started off with a 60kg bench that felt like a feather. For second lift went up to 70kg which also felt lighter than it should have so decided to go after my old touch and go record (which was 81.4kg) and asked for 82kg. Went up fairly well but don't think there was a huge amount left in the tank even though observers claimed there was (they always do though don't they?). Couldn't get any leg drive at all despite having figured it out for the home gym. Anyway beating the old touch and go record and adding 3kg to the paused bench record was excellent.

Deadlift warm up felt strangely heavy but then the opening lift of 120kg went up easily (albeit rather unbalanced ... i think the arms weren't symmetrical). Went for a safe 150kg for the second lift and this felt very light so I got all excited and went for what seemed like a foolish PR attempt at 176kg for the third lift (1 kg PR at a lower bw than before). No idea why (more forgiving bar? lighter weights than in gym? more adrenaline from having a crowd) but it went up pretty fast and left me rather wishing I had gone for 180kg ha ha ha as that's the qualifying amount for single lift deadlift in the 75kg raw men's category. That said 4kg is 8.8lb which is a lot and I suspect i might have missed it.

Anyway I got solid comp experience and added 1.6kg to my total which is now at 71.5kg as opposed to 74kg so a very good day at the office.

here are the lifts

Bench 60kg
no video as video guy had to become a loader

Bench 70kg

Bench 82kg (3kg paused PR, 0.6kg PR on the old touch and go record)

Deadlift 120kg

Deadlift 150kg

Deadlift 176kg (1kg PR and at few kg lower bw)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Lordmuppet's first comp report

Postby Talyn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 am

Great work mate and nice write up. 6/6 and two PB's - can't get much better than that!

Must feel good to get the first one under the belt eh?

Lordmuppet wrote:I got all excited and went for what seemed like a foolish PR attempt at 176kg for the third lift (1 kg PR at a lower bw than before). No idea why (more forgiving bar? lighter weights than in gym? more adrenaline from having a crowd)

LOL I know this feeling well - it's the reason why I beat my deadlift PB back in July. Adrenaline is better than any drug.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 am

Talyn wrote:Great work mate and nice write up. 6/6 and two PB's - can't get much better than that!

Must feel good to get the first one under the belt eh?

Lordmuppet wrote:I got all excited and went for what seemed like a foolish PR attempt at 176kg for the third lift (1 kg PR at a lower bw than before). No idea why (more forgiving bar? lighter weights than in gym? more adrenaline from having a crowd)

LOL I know this feeling well - it's the reason why I beat my deadlift PB back in July. Adrenaline is better than any drug.

yeah it's definitely good. Was nice that it was a fairly low key one so no one was too annoyed by my various klutziness around regulations. Next time will be able to focus more on the lifts and also enjoy other people's more.

edited to add: first time using baby powder for the legs so maybe that helped.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby mouche » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

Congratulations!

Really good for me to read a report from a beginner, if I compete one day then it'll be good to know all the mistakes I'm likely to make (things like not knowing the rules inside-out, being too nervous, etc), so thanks for that!

Planned the next one yet?
mouche

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am

Lordmuppet wrote:Was nice that it was a fairly low key one so no one was too annoyed by my various klutziness around regulations. Next time will be able to focus more on the lifts and also enjoy other people's more..

Good to have someone coaching you on the day and picking your lifts. Takes the pressure off a little, of course needs to be someone you trust and knows your lifting.
Can actually be more stressful coaching people than competing.

Well done on your first comp, more to come I am sure. You have a DL qualifier to nail!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

mouche wrote:Congratulations!

Really good for me to read a report from a beginner, if I compete one day then it'll be good to know all the mistakes I'm likely to make (things like not knowing the rules inside-out, being too nervous, etc), so thanks for that!

Planned the next one yet?

this is a good one.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-a ... ting-meet/

Biggest thing I'd say is don't bother trying to make weight for the first comp. Just go in and make your light opening lifts and then have fun from there on.

edited to add: not sure about the next one but there will be one some time next year. Need to sit down and write new program for myself. Will be focused on adding mass.

edited to add: best thing about the comp honestly was weigh in where I got to see that everyone else's has a freaky looking chest that sticks out and it's not just me :lol: The power moobs had been the main reason i was cutting i think.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 am

baldy wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:Was nice that it was a fairly low key one so no one was too annoyed by my various klutziness around regulations. Next time will be able to focus more on the lifts and also enjoy other people's more..

Good to have someone coaching you on the day and picking your lifts. Takes the pressure off a little, of course needs to be someone you trust and knows your lifting.
Can actually be more stressful coaching people than competing.

Well done on your first comp, more to come I am sure. You have a DL qualifier to nail!

Yeah i was aware of this but didn't have a suitable person. Dad was going to come but he'd be more confused than me.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 pm

That deadlift looked easy! Good job!! 8)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby JP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

good work mate :)

next time you can take smaller jumps, opening a bit higher, with experience comes more control of the lifts you know you can do.

onwards!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 am

Nice nice nice. There's plenty more on that DL which is already big for a man of your weight.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Orkje » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Well done! Makes me think about doing a comp myself in the near future...
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Orkje wrote:Well done! Makes me think about doing a comp myself in the near future...

do eeeet :)
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Awesome job! 180 deadlift is just waiting for you to nail it, maybe even a bit more in there :mrgreen:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Return to Power and Strength