how many beans...

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

how many beans...

Postby pandiriver » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:25 pm

what amount of beans or chickpeas or whatever would I need to substitute the two eggs I normally eat with my daily salad?
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Blaz » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Theoretically 50g of raw kidney (blah! what a word) beans. If you include other sources of protein, too (like cereals). Beans have good protein structure, so no difficulties here. Peas, 48g theoretically, but they have slightly less efective protein structure, so combine them with cereals, rice, soymilk or vegetables (like spinach, even potatoes) for greater efficiency. One middle-sized egg = 6g protein, huge egg=9g protein, smal=4g protein. Of course, the ratio protein/fat is much higher with beans.

Blaz
The object of Strength is to control Power, which should pave the way for Noncruel Freedom. If Mind sustains Strength, and Noncruel Freedom supplies Spirit, which enhances Mind, then the head of causality unites its tail and Time is willing to serve Mind.
Blaz

Postby JP » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:30 pm

well if middle sized egg has only 6g of protein then a can of chickpeas should give you more already. They are handly because they are tasty cold as well (i'm showing my bad cooking credentials here again). I think can of chickpeas is usually around 16g of protein, don't have one at hand now, sorry...

But there are loads of good ways to enhance salads protein content than just adding beans. Could add nuts as well like walnuts, perhaps have a dressing made from tahini (30% protein, yeah 50% fat as well, but one needs their good fats!) and so on. Perhaps more gifted people could give more examples as well :)

Tofu would be brilliant as well of course.

But usually it is not possible to do a clear cut 1 to 1 substitutions like that when you take the jump to veganism mate. It's a whole new world and as an athlete it is worth it to change dietary habits more than just with remove/replace way.
JP
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:10 am

well.. tofu is a bit expensive :cry: ... large eggs are cheap, I like cheap being a student and all. I'll try nuts and beans of some sort. maybe soyprotein mixed with water or something
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Protein Factory

Postby VeganAustrian » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:39 am

Try Protein Factory at http://www.Proteinfactory.com

Currently $4.44 USD for a lb. of soy protein. It has 26g per serving.

They have rice protein as well; however I don't know the values for that (e.g. price and protein content.

Have fun,

Erin
I am a Lurker.
VeganAustrian

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:22 am

Eggs are only cheap because the hens paid for them.
Mary

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:10 pm

I dont worry too much about protein as long as I eat lots of protein containing foods everyday - I like chickpeas or mixed beans or nuts or seeds or tofu in my salads! Ty quinoa too. All these protein sources are not as concentrated as meats which makes them more digestable and healthier for the body and whats more you often get either or both of slow-releasing complex carbs and healthy fats! Tahini is really good cos of calcium too. Makes nice salad dressings or dip for crudites....
Fruitbat

Re: Protein Factory

Postby tylerm » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:29 pm

VeganAustrian wrote:Try Protein Factory at http://www.Proteinfactory.com

Currently $4.44 USD for a lb. of soy protein. It has 26g per serving.

They have rice protein as well; however I don't know the values for that (e.g. price and protein content.

Have fun,

Erin

Wow! that place is cheap. I just bought a think of veg protein powder at the foodstore yesterday for $17, and it is probably only a pound or so. That site you listed also has hemp protein...
tylerm

Return to New Vegan