Little help anyone?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Little help anyone?

Postby Mia092314 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey everyone!

Its so nice to have actually found a forum dedicated to vegan fitness. I have been wanting to go vegan for a while. I went vegetarian this past year (out of health, and ethical reasons involving animals that I work with on a daily basis) and attempted a vegan switch but unfortunately something went wrong and I think I took it too fast and didn't do enough research plus i don't think i took my active lifestyle into account. I'm 17, 5'6 and 146 (im actually a bit below my doctor's recommended weight by 4 lbs) and female. Now, I would really like to try again, but i want to do it in a healthy and controlled way. I don't want to lose any more weight, if anything I would love to put on a bit more(muscle), and would love any help anyone could offer and I'm looking forward to posting with you all! I don't want to swap a vegan lifestyle for my active one (i love running, cardioand weights and i do these things 3-4x a week, sometimes 5x), i really want to see them work together. Plus, i saw a nutritionist and she says that i need 125 grams of protein a day...im not sure but sometimes i feel like thats too much). Also my hair has been thinning and I know that it can be a ton of different things but what kind deficiency can cause hair to thin. I used to have really thick hair and I've noticed it started to thin near the hairline and along the sides of my hair so much so i can see patches that never used to be there and Im very worried) If someone could help me or point me in the right direction it would be super helpful. I saw a nutritionist as well but some things she said i just weren't too sure about. Anyway, its so nice to meet you all and I look forward to posting!!!

Thanks and lookin forward to hearing from you!
Mia092314

Re: Little help anyone?

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 am

Hey mia, welcome to VF :)

I would recommend consulting a registered dietitian and not someone who calls themselves a nutritionist as it is not a regulated title in most countries and most of their advice may not be evidence based.

Just going on what you have posted it seems that you are quite active and slightly underweight. This means you are probably in a negative calorie balance most days. So you need to eat more. Maybe add a shake loaded with fruit, flaxseed, soymilk and some protein powder a few hours before you train and maybe add in a bit more fat at every meal. Training wise, if you want to build some muscle you may have to cut down on the cardio a bit as that volume (3-4x a week) is usually counter-productive to muscle gains.

Hair loss can be attributed to many things, so you should probably get a blood test, but zinc, iron and vitamin c deficiency can contribute to it. And these are all easily addressed with vegan foods. Check out this article on hair loss by, Ryan Andrews, a vegan dietitian.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby Mia092314 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow :shock:! , Thankyou so much, the article is interesting to read and i am beginning to add more zinc and more leafy green variety into my diet. Spinach, Kale, and Collards are a staple in my house but i could definitely use more variety. In terms of vitamins, I eat a lot of fruit(watermelon,canteloupe,apples,grapes,kiwi,papaya ect), possibly too much so i doubt a vitamin c deficiency is the issue, iron and zinc on the other hand i doubt im getting enough of and i definitely think i need a vitamin for zinc to supplement my diet along with zinc containing foods. I will be looking into a registered dietitian, I'm pretty sure the one my mom set me up with didn't know what she was talking about. My doctor is also kind of iffy on the idea of me not eating any animal meats or by products which I find a bit shocking and disappointing. I feel like I'm kind of on my own in this situation but I really appreciate the advice and the links for the article. One more thing, what is your take on multivitamins, I know I'm going to need a b12 supplement at least, but should I bother with an iron. I know its possible to OD on certain vitamins/minerals so it would be nice to hear someone elses view on the situation... Thanks again!
Mia092314

Postby alexander » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:52 am

Nice to meet you, although i cannot give you any advice I just want to wish you a best luck for that.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby Talyn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am

alexander wrote:Nice to meet you, although i cannot give you any advice I just want to wish you a best luck for that.

Why did you resurrect a two year old thread?
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Return to New Vegan