vegetarians, almost vegans, non-vegans, please click here

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 pm

[quote="Tourterelle"]Very cute! Don't see any wine on the table however. . .

If it was my last supper I would want red wine and maybe some pasta.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 pm

if it was my last supper i'd like the person to the left of my avatar AND NOBODY ELSE AROUND.
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 am

I'll admit to being one of those vegetarians who kept making excuses during the transition to veganism. now that I'm past that, I don't think I can go back! 8)
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Gelert » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:16 am

[quote="XkillerX"]if it was my last supper i'd like the person to the left of my avatar AND NOBODY ELSE AROUND.

Cannibalism doesn't suit you mate.

Why don't you try kale, quinoa and sprouted broccoli instead?
Gelert

I am appalled

Postby Pumcake » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 pm

I am in the process of going vegan because I also don't believe in the poor treatment of animals, but I was absolutely appalled at your post! This site is for people who are vegan or who are looking to become vegan who need help and support from people who understand, and the judgment from you is completely unacceptable and is against the user agreement. I will be reporting you to the site administrators as soon as I figure out how.

I am all for a vegan lifestyle, but forcing your views on people and calling them murderers... I can't think of words strong enough to express the anger I feel at you for posting this!
Pumcake

Re: I am appalled

Postby Gelert » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

[quote="Pumcake"]I am in the process of going vegan because I also don't believe in the poor treatment of animals, but I was absolutely appalled at your post! This site is for people who are vegan or who are looking to become vegan who need help and support from people who understand, and the judgment from you is completely unacceptable and is against the user agreement. I will be reporting you to the site administrators as soon as I figure out how.

I am all for a vegan lifestyle, but forcing your views on people and calling them murderers... I can't think of words strong enough to express the anger I feel at you for posting this!

OK, so you are Toby Young, and I claim my five pounds.

I suggest you park your bandwagon of righteous indignation right there in the corner. This is your first post within the community and already you want to arbitrate what is and is not "completely acceptable" and think that this is not "forcing your views" because you obviously don't tolerate someone with a different opinion to yours.

If you had lurked a bit more, or been a bit more attuned to the background music, you might find that xkillerx is being partly ironic, partly saying truth in jest. Congratulations on embarking on your transition to becoming vegan - when you do cross over properly you might see where xKillerx is coming from and perhaps have a more informed perspective, not to mention the right, to criticise without hypocrisy.

On the other hand, if you still wish to complain to admins, I suggest you click on one of the links below, the button marked "pm" and then do so with ardour and no doubt they will treat your complaint with the fullest attention that they deem it deserves.

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/profi ... rofile&u=2

Feel free to complain about me as well while you're at it.

In fact, if xkillerx gets banned for something as bone as this, I'll go outside and may be some time as well.
Gelert

Postby Pumcake » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:32 am

You're right, this is my first post. From browsing the site I got the impression that I could expect some support here while I make the difficult transition from 11 years of vegetarianism into being completely vegan and giving up most of my favourite foods. Instead I found judgment from someone who (I believe?) also used to consume animal products.

I am very tolerant of other views, but I am not tolerant of people who are so judgmental of people who have not made the same sacrifices/life choices as themselves. I actually share XKiller's view, but I also understand that it is a hard change to make, and behaving so judgmentally towards people who are probably trying to make the change to veganism themselves does not seem the best way to encourage others to live a vegan lifestyle.

I am sure this site is also a great place to vent when you are saddened by the cruelty in the world but that can be done without passing harsh judgment on the people who are trying to convert to a more cruelty-free way of living.

Thanks for the info about contacting the admins, my intention is not to have anyone kicked off the site but maybe reminded that (as I understand it) this site is intended to provide support for people with their vegan lifestyle, or who wish to become vegan. Not to make them feel bad for not having converted sooner. As a new member I very recently saw the user agreement, and I actually skimmed through it.

Maybe I was just unfortunate in my choice of forums.
Pumcake

Re: I am appalled

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 am

Lets look at this from another perspective:

you're looking to change your lifestyle to a vegan one, but instead of asking questions, you spend your time reporting and complaining? Is that really higher up than become vegan on your list of priorities?

edit:IF xkillerx got banned for something like that, I think I'd probably consider leaving vf, that said, I highly doubt he will be banned.

also IF xkillerx had his own church, I would hope to attend at least once.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby fredrikw » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:08 am

Pumcake,
I think a good thing when approaching a new social setting, may it be virtual like VF or in real life like a work place, is to spend some time watching and learning about the social interaction before passing judgement or starting to report people. Not a good way to make friends and find support, don't you think?

Also, singling out one out of thousands of threads and claiming it to be significant for the whole community is also taking your generalisations a bit too far. Take it easy, have a look around for a while, and you'll see that this community is indeed very supportive for exactly what you're looking for. Right now it sounds more like you're looking for problems rather than solutions.

Even if we don't always agree on things here, banning people is very rarely done. Apart from spammers we have banned less than 10 people in our soon 5 years of existence.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby The Duke » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:45 am

But can't we ban Killer and Gelert anyway?

"Make an example of 'em", that's what I say.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby XkillerX » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:58 am

yes, ban me, i'm contagious!!! and gelert, he needs a reality check anyways.

and the duke will go on another six month trip soon, so nobody will notice if we ban him as well!

and fredrik, because he does not ban members often enough!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby emm7 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 am

yes ban them all in front of the whole church but we must have them interrogated and tortured first!
send for the spanish inquisition to force these Heretics to confess their sins! (but tell them to bring a proper rack with them this time instead of a dish-rack)
we could even attack them with sticks as well (hang on though, they might rather enjoy that!!!!)

but wait, without xkillerx who will be pastor of the church of sick filth?*

(please please can it be me???? oh go on????? pretty please with hundreds-and-thousands artfully arranged on top?????)
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 am

Ban them all. The invisible pink unicorn will know his own.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby The Duke » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 am

Lock this thread, burn us all, and BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Gelert » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:21 am

I think we should be excommunicated to the following location

12° 40′ 0″ N, 108° 3′ 0″ E

Apt in so many ways, particularly if you use the original spelling of the place.
Gelert

PreviousNext

Return to New Vegan