So u think high prot intake is important to build muscless!?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

So u think high prot intake is important to build muscless!?

Postby RICCO » Tue May 27, 2008 9:43 am

Hi all,
before of all, pls sorry my english, I'm italian :)

I stopped eating meat 1 month ago, just 1 month.

I'm confused about prots.

I don't know if we really need high prot intake to gain muscless

High calories!
yes

Balanced and pure diet!
yes

How much prots?

Do u think vegan still need to count them and keep them at 1.2/2.2 gr*kg of body weight?

Ufficial and unufficiual science get me confused.

Economical interest makes me in doubt.

:)))

talk about it

hugs
ric
RICCO

Postby remez » Tue May 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Well I think hight protein diet isn't necessary.
1g/kg would be enough but i take 2 g maybe more but more and more am I thinking of reducing it.
I use tofu, seitan, TVP soy and soy isolate in my diet to increase protein intake but I think I'm gonna cut it out because I saw a lot of people who got big and lean look with small amounts of protein but enough calories through balanced diet.
Also I've recently read a book on proteins and it confirmed that you don't even need higher doses than a normal sedentary citizen.

Here, look at it:
http://www.iom.edu/CMS/3788/4615/5635.aspx
remez

hi man

Postby RICCO » Tue May 27, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm going to read it

thank u to reply

I'm thinking the same

but I need to confirm it!!

:)))))

later
RICCO

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 pm

I don't supplement protein at all. And I am very well muscled. I believe athletes can get enough protein from a normal, healthy, whole food diet. I think Dave Noisy and I are in agreement with this. I am still gaining muscle, as I get back to my old fitness. Whole foods seem to work for me ! :lol:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby spinfuser » Tue May 27, 2008 10:51 pm

http://www.myspace.com/veganlifeandfitness look at this guy. He's got muscles on a fruitarian diet
spinfuser

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed May 28, 2008 5:55 am

JohnBarleycorn wrote:I don't supplement protein at all. And I am very well muscled. I believe athletes can get enough protein from a normal, healthy, whole food diet. I think Dave Noisy and I are in agreement with this. I am still gaining muscle, as I get back to my old fitness. Whole foods seem to work for me ! :lol:

You got it! I'm actually trying to keep it down around 30g/day for me (0.5g/kg of lean body mass), i can't of course, but it's most definitely not hurting me. I'm massacring my opponents on the track, getting much faster when they're not. ;)
Dave Noisy

uhhh

Postby RICCO » Wed May 28, 2008 7:31 am

thank u so much guys

it's really hard to rich alone such a empirical knowledge :))

I mean it is against the world ;-)

I'm studying and trying

keep in touch

than u again

lot of peace
lot of love
to all of u

Riccardo
RICCO

Postby JP » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 am

What is your sport?

Several studies have shown positive effects of higher protein intake for strength athletes. I dont know anything about endurance athletes, but for honestys sake it has to be said that Dave Noisy has not produced any other evidence apart from anecdotal and some guru advice to back up his really low protein intake experiment.

So i guess it depends how adventurous you want to be ;)

It probably makes such little difference for endurance athletes that even with negative effect you wouldnt really notice it, and could keep on progressing even if a slower rate, or with just long term negative impact and it would only matter if you were really serious about your sport.

Since this is in New Vegan section, it has to be said that protein intake level doesnt have anything to do with veganism. being vegan doesnt require low protein intake despite the reputation and there are many people who are vegan and eat a high protein diet.
JP
Site Admin

hi JP

Postby RICCO » Wed May 28, 2008 9:24 am

I was a PLifter
than I played for a while with the Olifts
still I do them sometimes 'cause is funny

I lift!!

Now I workout with Clean and Press, Dips and soo
in EDT style

I admire Charles Stanley, Pavel Tsatsouline, Sheiko and a couple of others.

Dunno if I was wrong in posting here this topic

I'm a new Vegan and I had doubt about high prots intake just before that

But when I eat meat I haven't such a problem, u know

I think the problem of the unbalanced diet comes out in low calories regimen
anyway

so that all become complicated to recognize as a dogma

u r vegav. isn't it

do u play strenght sport?

tell me about your experience please

thank u
RICCO

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu May 29, 2008 6:07 am

JP wrote:but for honestys sake it has to be said that Dave Noisy has not produced any other evidence apart from anecdotal and some guru advice to back up his really low protein intake experiment.

Back it up?

Read my log, i'm out-sprinting the sprinters at the track. That takes muscle, which i wouldn't have if i weren't getting sufficient amounts of protein.

I'm afraid the scale is skewed way in the wrong direction on how much protein we can use/need.
Dave Noisy

interesting Dave

Postby RICCO » Thu May 29, 2008 7:29 am

interesting!!
RICCO

Postby JP » Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 am

thats why i said "apart from anecdotal" dave...
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 am

Dave Noisy wrote:Read my log, i'm out-sprinting the sprinters at the track. That takes muscle, which i wouldn't have if i weren't getting sufficient amounts of protein.

Have you not considered the possibility you might have got better at sprinting? You know, those things called technical improvements, CNS efficiency and strength endurance...An increase in power is not dependent on an increase in muscle mass.

Why do elite Olympic lifters put up bigger and bigger totals whilst staying at the same weight for years and years? Because they continue to make technical improvements and become more and more efficient lifters.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 am

ninearms wrote:
Dave Noisy wrote:Read my log, i'm out-sprinting the sprinters at the track. That takes muscle, which i wouldn't have if i weren't getting sufficient amounts of protein.

Have you not considered the possibility you might have got better at sprinting? You know, those things called technical improvements, CNS efficiency and strength endurance...An increase in power is not dependent on an increase in muscle mass.

I dunno - where does the power from a sprint come from? It's certainly not depending on my aerobic engine.

If i were lifting, i'd be doing PB's regularly. Would that really be occurring if i were deficient in protein?
Dave Noisy

Postby JP » Fri May 30, 2008 10:33 am

Dave Noisy wrote:If i were lifting, i'd be doing PB's regularly. Would that really be occurring if i were deficient in protein?

But if i was track sprinting, i would be breaking PBs all the time. Would that really be occurring if protein intake wasnt important?
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to New Vegan