How to shut people up about my veganism?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: How to shut people up about my veganism?

Postby JS » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 am

Being questioned about being vegan comes with the territory and the questions never ever stop as you always meet new folk in life. I never push my views on others and to be honest never bring it up first. The hardest to deal with are folk who push the reasons we need to eat meat etc and you have to stay calm :)
Defo read up on all the info you can so you can understand the vegan diet fully yourself as well as explain to folk where you are getting all those things you are supposedly missing!
JS

Postby Konstantin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 am

JS wrote:Being questioned about being vegan comes with the territory and the questions never ever stop as you always meet new folk in life. I never push my views on others and to be honest never bring it up first. The hardest to deal with are folk who push the reasons we need to eat meat etc and you have to stay calm :)
Defo read up on all the info you can so you can understand the vegan diet fully yourself as well as explain to folk where you are getting all those things you are supposedly missing!

Yep, absolutely. We're sort of at the emergence of what is likely to be a mainstream lifestyle in future, and that's something to take pride in and also to be aware of the shit we get as a result. Like the first gay people who were open about it, and the first black Americans who went into whites only cafes, we're still starting something off.

Know your nutritions and if you get a query you don't know about, look it up or ask on VF. A couple of times I mentioned it to people after I looked it up and felt it just tied up the loose end - and concluded that vegan concerns are generally unfounded.

Why only 2 meals a day? It seems you're missing breakfast. There's loads of cereals, personally I have chopped fresh fruit, porridge, ground seeds and raisins, which I love. If you're losing weight you could even fry some stuff for the extra calories.

It's common to lose calories when people switch to vegan. A simple solution is just eat more. Which is also enjoyable.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Password » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi :)
So, I've given it a few days to try to stop losing weight, and as you mention Konstantin and beforewisdom, by having 3 meals a day (Have been having no breakfast for years, never really enjoyed it), because at this rate I'm going to end up skinny, and that's not nice is it. I thought it was best to not have any breakfast as I go jogging in the mornings, so at present i go jogging and have loads of fruit when I get back home.
For the moment it sees to be working... thanks for your tips :)

As for comments of various family members and friends, I guess they just got bored with the lack of reaction they had from me! so that's SUCCESS!!! As for others i will inevitably encounter, I will make sure I keep in mind all your ideas. Although it may not be okay if I start offering blowjobs everytime haha!!!
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Eating animals, Jonathan Safran Foer
Password

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Password wrote:Hi :)
So, I've given it a few days to try to stop losing weight, and as you mention Konstantin and beforewisdom, by having 3 meals a day (Have been having no breakfast for years, never really enjoyed it), because at this rate I'm going to end up skinny, and that's not nice is it. I thought it was best to not have any breakfast as I go jogging in the mornings, so at present i go jogging and have loads of fruit when I get back home.
For the moment it sees to be working... thanks for your tips :)

Great news!

Fruit is a great start. If you continue to be athletic working up to a real breakfast ( significant protein content ) will only help you more. People who don't like breakfast usually come to like it more if they eat less in the evening.

As for comments of various family members and friends, I guess they just got bored with the lack of reaction they had from me!

Bingo!

Often, when omnis start asking you questions about veganism, especially at meal times, they are only trying to entertain themselves or take passive aggressive swipes at you. They aren't interested in answers.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby nomeat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I made the same experience - so do not feel discouraged because of a number of people who obviously do not know what they are talking about. Medical research has shown that a life without meat is more healthy, and protein manufacturers such as Abnova make possible even more reliable results in research. One day, when they will be sitting in front of their TV with big bellies and shortly before a heart attack you will still be able to do sports and be fine. Only thing - do not mix veggie life with diets, eat as much as your body wants to eat and do not force yourself to eat less. Especially at the beginning of a veggie life the body has to get used to the new situation.

Good luck!
Last edited by nomeat on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomeat

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Password wrote:As for comments of various family members and friends, I guess they just got bored with the lack of reaction they had from me! so that's SUCCESS!!!

Awesome!

As has been said, the thing with veganism is that a successful vegan undermines many people's ideas on the order of the world. It is extremely unnerving to some that veganism exists, and that vegan can be healthy.

As such, just by existing, some people take that as an attack.

I know, it is absurd. Luckily, it rarely gets too bad, but when you first go vegan folks often experience the tip of the iceberg on that subject. That's when friends and family get to feel threatened and make inane comments.

You handled that well!

It is just useful to know that sometimes, without saying anything, people will take a vegan existing as a full attack on meat eating culture, even when you don't say anything. It isn't just preachy vegans that get treated badly. It helps to know this, since then you can just focus on taking care of yourself instead of trying to make sense why someone is being an asshole after you ordered some pasta and decided to forgo the parmesan.

Good work!

Let us know how it goes.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Password » Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I just don't tell people anymore now... I mean, unless they offer me a piece of meat that is.

The people I see often do know, but otherwise, I keep it to myself.
My step mother is really pissing me off, as whenever we talk about veganism, at her demand, she looks at me and others in dismay, almost pity and says ''It's not now that your change in diet will make a difference... but in 2 years, you will be very sick''. I just say that I won't and that I'll prove it because in two years I will be just fine, as I am now. <It kills me not to get back at here and suggest she tries going vegan since she's a bit fat, but I son't think that would help haha!

Ah, I guess it's the adolescent inside me that comes out whenever there's an opportuinity to create disorder!
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Password

Postby Konstantin » Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I'd be tempted to write down some stats now and review them in 2 years time - your height and weight, weights lifted, running times, maybe a photo. Smugness is not to be encouraged by rubbing people's noses in it is fun.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby IsmailaGodHasHeard » Sun May 20, 2012 3:03 am

Invite them to your next doctor appointment so that they can know that you are healthy. Once they know that, they really have no right to bother you about it.
IsmailaGodHasHeard

Postby thestoatyone » Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Sounds like you're doing a good job! For your mum; she may just be worried about you. Might be an idea to book a doctors appointment in a couple of months time and ask her to come along? Don't know if doctors will allow that, but t should prove that you're going to be fine...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Password » Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 pm

thestoatyone wrote:Sounds like you're doing a good job! For your mum; she may just be worried about you. Might be an idea to book a doctors appointment in a couple of months time and ask her to come along? Don't know if doctors will allow that, but t should prove that you're going to be fine...
IsmailaGodHasHeard wrote:Invite them to your next doctor appointment so that they can know that you are healthy. Once they know that, they really have no right to bother you about it.
Konstantin wrote:I'd be tempted to write down some stats now and review them in 2 years time - your height and weight, weights lifted, running times, maybe a photo. Smugness is not to be encouraged by rubbing people's noses in it is fun.

I like the idea of the graph very much! I will definitely do that :). Thanks.

Hmm... can't be bothered to go to those lenghts just because she decided to worry. It's not like i look unhealthy, au contraire!
Password

Postby thestoatyone » Fri May 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Password wrote:Hmm... can't be bothered to go to those lenghts just because she decided to worry. It's not like i look unhealthy, au contraire!

atta girl :wink:
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to New Vegan