Red Belt!

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Red Belt!

Postby Frostfire » Sun May 16, 2004 7:55 am

Hi everyone, just wanted to say I passed my red belt test today! For anyone who doesn't know me, I do a Korean martial art (mix of Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do and other traditional styles). In my system, the belts go:

White - Yellow - Green - Blue - Red - RedBlack - Black (then 9 or 10 levels of black).

Did really well with my kicks, but my rolling was way off. I seriously need to work on that, I roll like a brick! My right shoulder has a big bruise on it now :( Otherwise, all went well.

Yay! I was SO nervous, I tested in front of my grandmaster. That just adds stress because this martial art is his life and creation. Also, if I do badly it reflects poorly on my instructor! The last thing I want to do is get him in trouble!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby stateofflux » Sun May 16, 2004 8:04 am

well done, Crystal CONGRATULATIONS!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Sun May 16, 2004 10:04 am

congrats! good work 8)

I am curious - what is this martial art? who is the grandmaster?
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby prenna » Sun May 16, 2004 10:28 am

Congratulations!!! Well done!!
prenna

Postby Frostfire » Sun May 16, 2004 1:06 pm

[quote="pandiriver"]I am curious - what is this martial art? who is the grandmaster?

Whew! That's one hell of a question. Here is the long answer: My martial art is specifically called Moo Lim Do. It's history is a long, messy, complicated story that I don't know fully. It is advertised as being Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do.

Okay, I'm sure, and from what I understand, it was a family secret passed down for generations until the beginning of the last century when my grandmaster, Mr. Lim, started teaching it. He teaches here in Utah, his son teaches in California, and I think he has some family that teaches in Korea.

Now, the unsure part: I think that it has something to do with Kuk Sool Won (a different Korean martial art). I've seen older pictures where students are wearing Kuk Sool Won patches. It's rumored that he helped start that style, but there was a falling out and he has split from it. No one ever talks about it, so much animosity and pride! Can't ask questions because it is disrespectful.

Seems to be a common theme in Korean martial arts to have unknown histories (Hapkido's origins are unknown as well). Wierd stuff. These styles haven't been around for that long, but the histories are starting to die off with those individuals who were around when they started. No one will say anything, and if they do, it is usually skewed in their favor! Very different from Japanese or Chinese martial arts that seem to have clear histories.

Okay, I'm sure that does not answer your question! The short answer: it is a mixture of Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do, and other traditional Korean martial arts :D.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Mary » Sun May 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Congratulations Crystal! Nice to know the world is full of vegans getting better and better at their chosen sports. Sounds an interesting tradition. I know what you mean about pride and falling out all over the place though. Somebody has come into Wolverhampton teaching karate. He got in the local paper, saying his school was the best because they had a Japanese master come over and train with the dojo for a weekend course. He said, "it isn't every day you get to train with a seventh dan."

Well, it isn't every day, but it is every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Josh, who trains Séamus and I, is the coach for the Federation of English Karate Organisations, and trains up the England teams for international competitions. So how come this guy ignored him? Because he fell out with Josh, after nearly losing to him in a competition twenty plus years ago. What happened was he realised he was losing, so he fouled the match so that neither man would win.

I didn't hear that one from Josh though - he is too proud to talk about his fallings out! Another Sensei at the club showed me a magazine with a description of the fight. (They are wondering if I should write a book about Josh's career, so are getting info together for me to have a look at when I have time.) Funny to see Josh as a young man though. Although he doesn't look old now (he is only in his fifties I think) he looks like a teenager back in his competition days. And his eight year old grandson is the spitting image of him. :lol:
Mary

Postby wannalift » Sun May 16, 2004 3:00 pm

well done! how much longer until blackbelt?
train hard,
~david
wannalift

Return to Martial Arts