5 0 Around finaly when you need them

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

5 0 Around finaly when you need them

Postby GenTDuke » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:46 pm

Today I was harrased by some crazy Seek guy (he was wearing the bandana) I think he was high or something. I was getting realy worried becuase I might have to hurt him. Luckily the police where just around the corner, I got them on my side and they arrested the guy. Its so easy to be perceived as the aggressor, luckily I kept my cool and allowed him to be manic, I have seen a few Ma's get in trouble with the law because of situations like this. I saw my future disintergrating before my eyes when I was considering how to dispose of the problem, but luckily I was cool and so were the police... close call.

I hear alot of critisism of Ma's walking away from a fight but most of the time it is the correct option. Especialy considering he no doubt carried weopons due to his religion.

Anyway, random rant. Other ma's I know have delt with situations differently (I have seen attack signs up), its so easy to spin the most effective fighter as the one at fault. Its so realy easy to hurt someone realy badly I have to be very careful how I deal with aggressors or I will get in the shit.

Anyway shit happens luckily I get to walk away this time, no criminal record and no guilt.
GenTDuke

Re: 5 0 Around finaly when you need them

Postby drummer boy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:05 am

[quote="GenTDuke"]Today I was harrased by some crazy Seek guy (he was wearing the bandana)

Hey mate, just FYI, it's Sikh, not "Seek" :) Sikh means "student" or "disciple" and comes from the Panjabi verb sikhna, "to study" or "to learn".

As for "the bandana" I suppose you're referring to the man's turban, the English translation for pugri, or traditional Sikh head covering.

I'm sorry about the incident you had to endure, but rest assured that most Sikhs would do not condone that type of behavior. In fact some Sikhs are vegan, and some even participate on this board from time to time :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one rep.
drummer boy

Postby GenTDuke » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:18 am

I yeah I know a few Sikhs and have enjoyed food at a few Sikh temples, thats another reason I was a bit shocked, I couldnt believ he was being such an idiot.

He was literaly wearing a bandana with the Sikh symbol on it, alot of the young Sikhs do that as well as cut their hair.

Peace
GenTDuke

Postby JP » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:56 am

is intoxication ok in sikh religion?

Well done for keeping your cool. I think 100m sprint is the best self defence skill in most situations. not good for ego, but if you know yourself and know what you can do, who cares right?

Situations like this trouble me sometimes though - and i get these incontrollable waves of aggression and i really want to take it out on some arsehole who harasses people or me. So far i have controlled myself in 99 times out of 100 situations (some demonstrations it has just boiled over and i have regretted it afterwards...).

Once i got attacked by 5-6 guys and they tried to trip me to start kicking me. They attacked me out of the blue, hits flying in from all sides, i managed to escape. I followed the crew for a few minutes and when they passes a police patrol car i went to them and explained the situation. Got some compensation money out of the two guys there, only like £100 but anyways it was a lot of money to me in those days :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 pm

JP, You're ok with ratting people out to the cops?
loveliberate

Postby drummer boy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:54 pm

[quote="JP"]is intoxication ok in sikh religion?

No. I don't know that intoxication is approved of in any religion, except perhaps Rastafarianism.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one rep.
drummer boy

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:58 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]JP, You're ok with ratting people out to the cops?

yeah, better to leave the bullies alone and let them take on someone else, huh? come on, I hope you're not serious here :roll:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:08 pm

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="loveliberate"]JP, You're ok with ratting people out to the cops?

yeah, better to leave the bullies alone and let them take on someone else, huh? come on, I hope you're not serious here :roll:

Hiya Fredrik,
The question was for JP specifically - I was under the impression that he was/is an Anarchist and as such would favor a different response than relying on the cops.
loveliberate

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:11 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]Hiya Fredrik,
The question was for JP specifically - I was under the impression that he was/is an Anarchist and as such would favor a different response than relying on the cops.

ok, point taken. I just thought it was a quite harsch choice of words, the way I see it this seemed to be a case of making sure these guys wouldn't harrass and beat up anyone else. but as you say, your comment was to JP so perhaps it's better have him answer this :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Well done JP, although I am sure you were not just waiting for a cop car to arrive :lol:

Dont be silly LL, altough the qestion wasnt addressed to me I feel I need to make a point: He has to exist in this system, its not like he can break the rules or norms and take other measures simply because he wills it, you have to work within the confinds of society as it is in order to get by.
GenTDuke

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 pm

I consider getting the police involved to be a rather extreme / harsh action for anyone to take.

Generally I think it is a REAL bad idea to depend on the police or almost anyone else for one's own defense and I think the court & prison systems can be as much or more of a problem than the actions or alleged actions that land folks in them. Realistically, there may be times where they are the best available options but I think far too many folks rely on them way too often.

We exist in this system, yes, but we should be actively working to change it and certainly not rely on it. I do not believe anyone should simply accept
unjust or irrational laws just to get by, etc. In this example, community organizing, nonviolence training and personal defense training are preferable options for people to explore.
loveliberate

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:30 pm

you have some valid points there. but you can't seriously think that "community organizing, nonviolence training and personal defense training" was an option in this case?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:36 pm

At least as much so as getting the police involved. Of course these options need to be implemented before one is attacked, be done on an ongoing basis, etc but why wouldn't they be options?
loveliberate

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:12 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]At least as much so as getting the police involved. Of course these options need to be implemented before one is attacked, be done on an ongoing basis, etc but why wouldn't they be options?

they're not options when you're faced with the real situation where a bunch of people just physically harrassed you.

ok, now we're really assuming a lot of stuff here, so let's for JP's sake leave him out of this and talk about a hypothetical situation. the situation I'm defending here is when you just have been beaten by a group of people, and to avoid having other people getting beaten up the same night talking to the police is a good thing. I guess you're talking from a perspective that you should on a long term avoid these kind of situations all together, and then I agree with you, but this wasn't my perspective.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Thanks for explaining where you are coming from Fredrik. I have been in situations similar to that more than once without choosing to involve the police. I remain curious to see JPs reply.
loveliberate

Next

Return to Martial Arts