Judogi cut for women?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Judogi cut for women?

Postby Freccia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 pm

So I've just started doing Ju Jitsu (traditional, not BJJ). I'm female, 5'6" (1.66 metres) and slim (weigh around 53,54 kilos, 8 and a half stone).
As instructed I went and bought a judogi, 180cm. Thing is, this thing is MASSIVE on me! I realise it should shrink (washing it at 90° as I speak, not recommended but I'm a bit desperate, LoL!), but should it not, my question is... are there judogis cut for women, especially slimmer ones like me?
I have seen a lot of BJJ uniforms cut for women that are very easy on the eye, but not sure they're suitable for traditional JJ, also I'd be the only one wearing one... :roll:

So back to my original question... any judogis out there cut especially for slimmer women? All advice appreciated!
Freccia

Re: Judogi cut for women?

Postby XindestructibleX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am

Since we are the same size (167cm/53kg) I see how a 180cm is a totally uninsightful instruction.

I remember how I used an 160cm jacket (170cm recommended only if broad shoulders/long arms). If trousers are too short get separate ones. About easy on the eyes I don´t know, practical though, and hopefully someone else here on the forum has more detailed and uptodate recommendations for you. If you don´t have the possibility to visit a well-stocked martial arts shoppe, that is.

The slim cuts I tried were too weak. Don´t underestimate how a loose fit, though not far too big a costume, also makes you look more intimidating.
Enjoy your Jj !
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:44 am

Washing at 90 degrees is totally recommended if you want to shrink it. I was shocked how much mine shrunk and that was only at 60, hope yours is not now too small.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Orkje » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm

As far as I know (I've been doing judo for fifteen years) no judogis are cut to 'suit' women. All female judokas look somewhat bulky in their gi. Tumble drying the gi may also help to shrink it if you really want it to. Don't forget that ease of movement when wearing it is paramount, though :-)
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby Freccia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks so much for your replies everyone! I tried it on after washing it at 90, and it does seem to have shrunk. I don't have a tumble drier, but I do have a pressure cooker... that was Plan B.. ;)
I have class tonight... fingers crossed!!! Thanks again!!
Freccia

Return to Martial Arts