Traditional (not BJJ) Jiu Jitsu for basic self defence

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Traditional (not BJJ) Jiu Jitsu for basic self defence

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 am

[quote="shellie"]Oh this thread is interesting as I too have been training jujitsu for a few months now :-) I find it extremely difficult at times but also addictive and I love watching the higher grades they are very efficient and explosive.
We do a half hour warm up too and a lot of it is break falls. Therest of the class all come for different reasons so some like to have a hobby and keep fit and pick up self defence whereas there are also ones who use it on the door and all others in between.
I find I am very slow now like a jujitsu robot but its so much fun and its nice when it all starts making sense.

yeah to clarify, I'm talking about traditional jiu jitsu :) Is yours also traditional?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby shellie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Yes you mean jujitsu, not bjj

Do u think u will go back?
shellie

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:46 pm

[quote="shellie"]Yes you mean jujitsu, not bjj

Do u think u will go back?

No I don't think I will. Just sent them a message saying that while the people were brilliant, I just didn't think Jitsu was a good fit for me.

Very interested that some doormen do it. I've talked with a few people involved. Some took the view that at first it isn't practical but as you get quite advanced it is. But yeah not for me :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby muchluv » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:07 pm

You sound like a busy man, Lordmuppet! :D

I think what baldy mentioned is an extremely important point of 1 year with someone versus 6 weeks of the best. I do get what he is saying and I'm sure thats the case in some circumstances, it's just in self defence methodology can be so different between teachers and arts. I think people often think martial arts is fighting, therefore it can be self defence. And a lot of them will market themselves as self defence, but they may not have the other neccesary parts like adrenaline exposure/pressure testing, situation control, pre-emtive striking...basically the kind of things in the article I linked to you before! :D

One other thing regarding ju-jitsu, being on the floor is considered often not to the a great place in a 'street fight', because for one, lots of fights happen now with multiples, which obviously means if you try to wrestle one, the other[s] will be kicking you. Even if it appears to be only one, their mate could come round the corner, or any random person who wants to get involved. Also on top of this on the floor it's hard to see if they are accessing a weapon such as a knife because you will be tied up with them. Obviously too a mat is not the same as a road. That is not to say it's not good to train it though, just bare it in mind! :D

I will pm you some links!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:37 pm

[quote="muchluv"]You sound like a busy man, Lordmuppet! :D

I think what baldy mentioned is an extremely important point of 1 year with someone versus 6 weeks of the best. I do get what he is saying and I'm sure thats the case in some circumstances, it's just in self defence methodology can be so different between teachers and arts. I think people often think martial arts is fighting, therefore it can be self defence. And a lot of them will market themselves as self defence, but they may not have the other neccesary parts like adrenaline exposure/pressure testing, situation control, pre-emtive striking...basically the kind of things in the article I linked to you before! :D

One other thing regarding ju-jitsu, being on the floor is considered often not to the a great place in a 'street fight', because for one, lots of fights happen now with multiples, which obviously means if you try to wrestle one, the other[s] will be kicking you. Even if it appears to be only one, their mate could come round the corner, or any random person who wants to get involved. Also on top of this on the floor it's hard to see if they are accessing a weapon such as a knife because you will be tied up with them. Obviously too a mat is not the same as a road. That is not to say it's not good to train it though, just bare it in mind! :D

I will pm you some links!

yeah that all makes sense but, to be fair, traditional jiu jitsu (unlike BJJ?) doesn't spend much time at all (if any) on groundwork for exactly the reason you give. That said I figure throws can still be useful as hitting the ground hurts :)
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Previous

Return to Martial Arts