Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm

I've recently been suffering the consequences of doing a pretty obscure martial art while having an interest in travelling and living in different places - i.e. I can't find anyone who does my bleedin' style (martial tai chi chuan).

After almost a year without access to a class, I have taken action, and taken up Brazilian jiu-jitsu. This was pretty speculative at first, just thought I'd give it a try - but it's awesome!

And hard. Groundfighting is a whole new thing to me, and I'm useless. But I love it.

Are there any other VFers doing BJJ at the moment?
Clem Snide

Re: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Also when I told a friend I was now doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu she said 'Is that like normal jiu-jitsu but with all your pubes shaved off?'
Clem Snide

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

But martial Taijichuan is so good. Its a shame to stop it...........

I know it takes ages to learn well, but in the right hands its pretty devastating.

But its true there are very few people doing it ! I have to travel 100 miles each way to attend my class.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Clem Snide wrote:Also when I told a friend I was now doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu she said 'Is that like normal jiu-jitsu but with all your pubes shaved off?'

:lol:

I haven't been on the mats in about six months. Looking to get back around April/May at Gil Melendez/Jake Shields' gym, but I did it for a little more than a year in 2009-10. It's an awesome martial art and form of exercise. The type of conditioning needed to succeed is hard to come by, so all the half-assers/posers are usually scared off.

When did you start? What gym are you training with? I presume it's gi? Gotten your first sub yet? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!
KC Masterpiece

Postby Aussiveg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:28 pm

I've been doing it for a couple of years now and i love it. the gym i train at is a MMA gym but the coach is a black belt in BJJ with Gracie Barra Sydney. the funny thing about BJJ is that you feel like you aren't getting anywhere then all of a sudden it all falls into place. good luck don't give up. here is a picture of me at the last tournament I'm the guy in the rashie holding the kids arms in the air.Image
Aussiveg

Postby Ken O'Shaughnessy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Been training for 2 years in Manchester, UK, it's become not just part of my life, but my entire life!
If you find it tough, keep going it doesnt get less tough, but you deal with it better over time.
Never heard about shaving the pubes lol! My Instructor told me that when he lived in Rio, at gracie barra, there were tumbleweed balls of pubes that used to roll about the mats!
Ken O'Shaughnessy

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Only been doing it two weeks so far, did my first free sparring this week - no subs, but got a couple of guard passes. Loving it so far. And yes, it's gi, but I don't have one yet...

JohnBC, where do you train tai chi - is it in UK?

KC - get back on the mats you wimp!
Clem Snide

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Anyone want to fill me in on the big difference(s) between this and judo?
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby MaximusNZ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:10 am

I have been doing BJJ for around 18 months now with a really cool Gracie Brown Belt.
MaximusNZ

Postby Ken O'Shaughnessy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 am

FH, Bjj and Judo are two sides of the same coin, and the share quite a few techniques, the main difference is, in Judo you will spend more time practising the stand up, pinning and control, and in BJJ, you will learn more about positional dominance, transitions, guard passing and sweeps on the ground.
Ken O'Shaughnessy

Postby No other way » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I've been training for a few years now under one of dave camarillo's black belts. I love it.
No other way

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 pm

As far as I can tell the difference with Judo is that in Judo you can win by throwing your opponent as well as subs, whereas BJJ you have to sub your opponent. (Or else it goes to points) BJJ they leave you on the ground longer, and you can't win by pins either, I think.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Ken O'Shaughnessy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 pm

dave camarillo was on the fightworks podcast a few week ago, well worth a listen!

In competition, in Judo you win by ippon, which is throw ending with an opponent on their back, Pinning an opponent their back touching the mat for 25 seconds or submission, i dontknow if advantages are given.

In BJJ competition, you win by Submission or points, points are awarded for takedowns, sweeps, passing the guard and establishing a position for 3 seconds. advantages are also awarded for sub attempts.
Ken O'Shaughnessy

Postby Ken O'Shaughnessy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:42 pm

/

awesome dave/dan camarillo hl
Ken O'Shaughnessy

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah I really respect the Camarillo bros and the way they've blended Judo and BJJ into their own style of "guerilla jiu jitsu."
That style is one of the main reasons why Jacare is one of my favorite fighters.

As the sport gains in popularity viz. its use in MMA, I think it's future hinges on innovation like this, or like Jake Shields' blend
of wrestling and BJJ for "American Jiu Jitsu" or (as much as I don't care for its cultish aspects) Eddie Bravo's 10th Planet
system.
KC Masterpiece

Next

Return to Martial Arts