first bjj tournament in a week

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Mouse » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah I learned a lot. I'll compete again when I get the chance, whenever that is. Thanks for the words of support.
Mouse

Postby Crash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 pm

It took guts to compete Mouse - next time you'll know what to expect. 8)

Good luck with your comp Fist of Doom.
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Clem Snide » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

[quote="Mouse"]Yeah I learned a lot. I'll compete again when I get the chance, whenever that is. Thanks for the words of support.

Did you get a video of the fight? Useful learning tool.
Clem Snide

sorry for thread jackin mouse

Postby fist of doom » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Mouse, good for you. A first time tournament is vexing. hurry up and wait. hurry up and wait. you'll do better next time now that you know what it's like. switching camps now and again might help you get out of that partner rut too. i'm originally from Philly. where do you roll? if you're ever in PGH, pm me. you're more than welcome to try out my gym.

my experience:
cut from 192 to 169 in 3 weeks by cutting out beer and carbs and started jogging every morning and incorporating more of a raw diet.

weighed in friday and registered. arrived sat morning. rested fed and ready. 3 other guys on my team were competing and we had 2 fantastic team mate/coaches there so it was reall chill. i've been in a ton of folkstyle/freestyle tournaments in my teens, but other that mtn biking i have not truly competed since 96 so i had some jitters.

they announced my bracket and i'm looking at the other guys and i know in my head i can wreck any one of em. except they don't announce my name. or that of my one team mates.

we go to the judges table and they start saying they might have lost our registration forms. i'm about to pitch a fit. they tell us to wait. the tourny starts. it's my weight class. i'm watching the matches mf'n the judges under my breath for losing my papers the whole time. suddenly, they announce my name. i'm set. rip off my sweats, hug my team mates. no nerves. just focused and prepared. run out to the mat and shake hands. the ref say. no, go over to the table.

i go over thinkin i'm gonna get my red or green anklet. they tell me you're too old. (32) that's why your not in this bracket. you're in the masters class.

felt like the biggest assh0le in the world.

regardless, feeling like a pie took all the pressure off. i ended up getting 3rd. blew up my knee and i walk silly now. i'm far happier that i got my fat ass off the couch and into the gym, maintained discipline and actually competed again than the fact that i got a trophy. everyone on my team placed as well. it's a solo sport and i'm a solitary fella, but it feels good to be on a team again.

anyways, shoulda scrambled faster, shoulda pushed harder, shoulda done more to impose my will and my pace. shoulda, coulda, woulda. funny how one never looks back at accomplishments, one fixates on the one that got away. and shouldn't have. i'm very displeased with my performance and can't wait to get back on the mat to work on my game. the diet is staying till 170 is my walkaround weight. first place next time. still happy i did it. great experience.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski
fist of doom

Postby JP » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:55 pm

cheers for the write up man - but not much description about the fights themselves :D

Good work regardless!
JP
Site Admin

Postby BJJNick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Wow, awesome. Just found this site and I'm happy to see there are other Vegan grapplers out there.

Grats on the tourney. Losing your first time is almost expected. It's a learning experience.

Where was the tourney held?
BJJNick

Previous

Return to Martial Arts