UFC 90 Silva Cote - Spoilers

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

UFC 90 Silva Cote - Spoilers

Postby puppydog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:17 pm

So that was a disappointing finish to the card. Was a little bit surprised with Silva toying with Cote, almost treating him like a student or something and not wanting to go too hard.

Other fights were entertaining too.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Re: UFC 90 Silva Cote - Spoilers

Postby wannalift » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

[quote="omar tan"]So that was a disappointing finish to the card. Was a little bit surprised with Silva toying with Cote, almost treating him like a student or something and not wanting to go too hard.

Other fights were entertaining too.

not really. Silva is a counter striker. Cote was good about not being too aggressive. Cote was just looking for one KO punch rather than exchanging with him. probably wouldn't have worked, but it was a better strategy than most employ against Silva.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby puppydog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm

I just didn't think that was 100% effort by Anderson Silva.
Anyhow it was disappointing that Cote's knee gave out, I would've liked to see him get KTFO
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Marty » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Looked like Anderson was farting about to me also, though he did seem to explode into activity everytime Cote actually closed, was good but boring counter strategy by Cote. LOL @ when anderson offered to help him up, funny as hell.

Kos V Alves was dissapointing, maybe hughes isnt as washed up as everybody says, since he at least could get Alves down... eventually. Why on earth Kos didnt try to get him down in the centre of the ring iono, unless he was worried about those knees.
GSP is gonna have his hands full, but I think he will still win even against the team of Alves and his "nutritionist" (sorry dont like Pitbull)
Marty

Postby JP » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:18 am

Silva fight was awesome - its goot to see the fight last a bit to see more of his movements and style :D Time seems to go slower for him, his reaction speed and accuracy is unreal!

Bummer about the knee though...

Other fights were good too. Alves fight was exiting because of the style differences. His kicks look really vicious, and blows when connecting really brutal. Josh Koscheck deserves all respect for just pushing on and not getting scared at all, he just went for it.

Pissing me off when the audience boos immediately when there is a small lull in evident action - the guys wrestle and try to find ways to get into better positions and the audience boos immediately because all fights are not just some slug fests!
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 am

Could it be that mma fans tend not to be discerning sports fans but rather temporary exiles from WWE? *shock*

I'm with Marty and Omar on the Silva situation. I've always liked him before, but I think at the weekend he showed he had disappeared up his own arse. He did everything he could to show that this wasn't a fight, it was an Anderson Silva exhibition.

He wasn't looking to counter the majority of the time, he was out of range posing and clowning. There was no need for that, in the two rounds he didn't show superiority over Cote. Offering to help Cote up was clear disrespect too.

He could also have showed a little grace when Cote suffered his injury. Instead he's acting all pissed off and huffy, like Cote had dared to ruin the Silva exhibition.

I'll be looking for him to lose next fight, I thought it was a shocking display.

Good card overall though :) Was happy to see Werdum get KTFO.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:45 am

[quote="JP"]Pissing me off when the audience boos immediately when there is a small lull in evident action

yeah - even at some point they were booing the griffon/sherk match i think.
that was two wrestlers trading great standup for 3 full rounds - wtf?
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Mouse » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Pissing me off when the audience boos immediately when there is a small lull in evident action - the guys wrestle and try to find ways to get into better positions and the audience boos immediately because all fights are not just some slug fests![/quote]

True dat. I think refs should be more conservative about standups. I understand they want this to be a spectator sport but sometime I wish they would let things run their course a little bit longer.
Mouse

Return to Martial Arts