Couture vs Lesnar

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Couture vs Lesnar

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:44 am

So it seems Randy's signed a new deal with the UFC, kicking off with a bout with Lesnar in November.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7017&zoneid=2

[quote]The ink is still drying on Randy Couture’s new three-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the culmination of a year’s uncertainty on his fighting future.

Announced on Tuesday during a media teleconference, Couture will face Brock Lesnar in the main event of UFC 91 in Las Vegas on Nov. 15. His journey back to the UFC wasn’t a linear path, nor was it easy on the soft-spoken champion, but now, his days away from competition are happily numbered.

“The best place for me to fight is in the Octagon,” Couture said. “Not in the courtroom, not anywhere else.”

The disagreements that sparked his exodus from the UFC appear to have been quashed – for now. Almost a year ago, he was ready to walk away from the Las Vegas based promotion. He had two reasons for his exit – a lack of respect from the organization, and its inability to make a Fedor Emelianenko fight happen. But he was still tied to his UFC contract, and until today, locked up in arbitration proceedings to determine whether he’d ever be free. Unable to offer any fight-related services to other promotions, Couture began to re-assess his previous stance.

“The biggest part of my decision was first of all communicating with Lorenzo and Dana about clearing up a lot of the things that I was feeling,” Couture said. “The second part was getting frustrated with our legal system and being tired of throwing money at lawyers and the legal system with no end in sight. I want to fight. That’s what I do, that’s what I do best.”

Both Couture and White say they are determined to put the past behind them and move on. According to UFC president Dana White, the court battle over Couture’s fight contract is over. His old contract, a four-fight deal signed on Dec. 11, 2006, has been torn up.

Asked whether he would take the same actions again, Couture was uncertain. In a career filled with many ups and downs both in and out of the Octagon, it was clear he hadn’t put the episode in perspective yet.

“I could have lived without a lot of it,” he said. “You always kind of look back and hope that things would have gone differently. I don’t know if there are regrets, but I could have made better decisions, done things differently.”
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:53 am

yeah this is an interesting one.

a lot of people are saying this is an easy win for Randy but I certainly don't think so.

other forums, people are saying that "lesnar doesn't deserve' a title shot already but I'd say why the hell not? It's a fight people want to see and i think Lesnar has a real chance.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am

It's not a title shot is it? I think it'll be a 3-rounder, which doesn't favour Randy as much as championship distance.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 pm

yes it's a championship match.

randy is still the champ with noguiera the 'interim' champ.
the way it should pan out is:

noguiera vs. mir for a shot at the winner of randy vs. lesnar.

i'd say 5 rounds favours lesnar more..... i don't think fitness will be an issue, and all he needs is one big punch and to get a good position on the ground to overpower and pummel.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Cool, I prefer the 5 round distance anyway. Brock's last fight was over almost before it started.

[quote="omar tan"]i don't think fitness will be an issue, and all he needs is one big punch and to get a good position on the ground to overpower and pummel.

I could see Brock gassing personally, he fights at quite a frenetic pace and is a very big guy. He didn't look to pummel much in his last fight, just maintain position and not over commit.

Nog and Mir are out for a while playing at TUF coaching aren't they? :evil: I suppose that is the reason for Brock getting his title shot.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:50 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]I He didn't look to pummel much in his last fight, just maintain position and not over commit.

Nog and Mir are out for a while playing at TUF coaching aren't they? :evil: I suppose that is the reason for Brock getting his title shot.

True and True
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby No other way » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 pm

brock doesn't deserve a title shot. he's only fought twice. they should still fight but not for the title. i don't think brocks power will be that big of a deal. his wrestling skills aren't up to randys. i hate dana white even more now. one way or the other he'll be happy because he's getting a big paycheck. brock wins dana's new star will be champ(bullshit). randy wins he's got his golden boy back. i also hate how dana and brock are talking so much shit on fedor when they're trying to get him to fight randy.
No other way

Postby JP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:42 am

trying to get him fight randy? I thought fedor always wanted to fight him - but just cant because of contractual bullshit reasons?

heres the dana whites video blog where the fight is announced:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnxj3UlnmQ

I really dont like Lesnar and his WWE style boasting and bullshit. From my uneducated point of view Randy is much more talented fighter, but might get caught by the brute force of Lesnar. Anything is possible...
JP
Site Admin

Postby sonnyd7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 am

interesting match actually.

couture's got much more experience and skills, but you really have to wonder when age is going to catch up to him.

will he be able to out-wrestle someone who outweighs him by 40+ lbs and used to be an NCAA champion wrestler, who's also in his prime age? lot of questions and ifs going into this fight, it will be interesting. I'm calling it 50/50, though if this fight happened years back I'd say randy. I know the guy's impressive especially at his age, but i'm expecting it to catch up to him soon.
Surfing is the art of dancing with the ocean
sonnyd7

Postby Heinrich » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 am

I dont like it.
Its like giving Serra a titleshot because he won a TV-Show...
I think noone will argue about Couture beeing the better fighter by far. But still anything can happen.

I dont know, I didnt want to see Bob Sapp, Hong-Man Choi and the kind in K-1, I dont want that kind of attraction in the UFC.
Heinrich

Postby SpugFab » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:12 am

What are the alternative fights worth seeing?

Nog and Mir are on TUF, which is the UFC method for creating "household names". They are out for a while, then fighting each other.

Randy realised that the UFC had him by the nuts, so has agreed to come back. Who should he go up against?
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 am

[quote="spug_myers"]Nog and Mir are on TUF, which is the UFC method for creating "household names". They are out for a while, then fighting each other.

Randy realised that the UFC had him by the nuts, so has agreed to come back. Who should he go up against?

Exactly.

The UFC heavyweight division is not as 'stacked' as other divisions. The only people for Randy to fight would be people he's already beaten.

I'd rather see Anderson Silva vs. Randy at light-heavyweight.

I know that most of the purists disagree but I think this is a great fight. Maybe Lesnar hasn't paid his "MMA dues" but he is as mentioned, a championship level wrestler, and he gave up a pretty decent job to move over to MMA and along with him came millions of fans, in all likelihood.

It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an agreement with him ahead of time that he'd get a title shot in the early going.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Heinrich » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 pm

yea... dunno

Id rather see CroCop vs Arlovski while waiting for Fedor to come then to see Couture being thrown to the wolves...
Heinrich

Postby prenna » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:21 am

I can't help thinking that all this talk of "Lesnar hasn't earned the title shot" that is happening all over the net is from people conveniently forgetting that the UFC doesn't give a sh*t who earned what in the cage. It's about who will toe the line and who will make them money. Right now, the WWE guy will draw in new audiences.

As for the fight itself, it's an interesting one. Couture could pull it off but Lesnar is a real threat. Should be a good fight with both fighters out to prove something.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Randy/Fedor will never happen. As long as the UFC refuse to let Fedor compete in Sambo competition if he's fighting for them, he'll probably never sign.
prenna

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:32 pm

[quote="omar tan"]

I'd rather see Anderson Silva vs. Randy at light-heavyweight.

Me too! This would be awesome and I wouldnt be at all suprised if it happens, Dana likes these kind of "superfight" matchups
Marty

Next

Return to Martial Arts