Combat classes with a mashed hand?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Gelert » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

If you want them out, and thus permanently damaged, yes. Why fuck someone up permanently if you can put a brake on things just by mainly hurting them?

Besides that's thumbs, not fingers, right?
Gelert

Postby Crash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Keep as far out of your assailant's reach if s/he has a knife as you can. If they demand your wallet, throw your wallet in one direction and run the other way as fast as you can.

If you are close enough to jab or touch any part of the knife wielder's body, you are letting him/her too close to you.
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Gelert » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:00 am

The 21 foot rule.

Statistics exist that demonstrate the danger zone for an armed defender dealing with someone with a knife is as much as twenty one feet, based upon reaction times and so forth. It's an over simplification, certainly, but distinctions between upper body strikes and (presumably lower body strikes) in terms of safe distance are fairly moot.

Bear in mind that sometimes knife-wielding loons are after the bearer of the wallet and not the wallet, so just dumping your wallet may just take up valuable time.
Gelert

Postby Crash » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Very true, but it might distract him/her enough to give one a running chance. :D

Of course different scenarios call for different measures - but imho it's always a good idea to keep a knife wielding loon as far away as possible. :wink:
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Mouse » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 am

Referring to the original question, has anyone suggested checking out a grappling style?
Mouse

Postby october_lost » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Judo is a good idea.

WC as finger jab techniques there in the first form.
october_lost

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 pm

I've not done Ikedo (I can't spell, LA LA LA, someone make that be right please:)), infact I may be mixing it up with something else, anyway, there's a martial art form that's based on making energy with circles, and putting locks, arm bars, and even a throw or two I think.

Firstly, is it Ikedo(can't spell...) secondly, if it isn't and you know what I'm talking about, would this be good for someone who can't punch?
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Gelert » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:14 pm

You've either done aikido or IKEA. One's an utterly brutal means of destroying a man by killing his soul from the inside, the other's a far eastern martial art.

Are the previous posters seriously suggesting judo and grappling as a serious option for dealing with real world problems, in particular the knife threat the OP is concerned with?
Gelert

Postby Mouse » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:34 am

Sure, why not? While I am very enthusiastic about grappling in general, I don't go for glib statements like "grappling is the only way to win a fight" or "all fights go to the ground". There are other approaches to fighting. But it would seem to me that for someone with a long term hand injury that may make hitting things difficult, training in a style without striking might be well worth considering.

As for the knife thing, I kinda overlooked that. Is that a specific thing you're particularly concerned with or just one of various hypothetical situations?
Mouse

Postby october_lost » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 pm

[quote="Gelert"]Are the previous posters seriously suggesting judo and grappling as a serious option for dealing with real world problems, in particular the knife threat the OP is concerned with?

Thought the discussion was about having a mashed up hand, so I thought said person might have felt more comfortable moving away from strikes.
october_lost

Previous

Return to Martial Arts