Negative mindset when training self-defense

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby tempehmomma » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 pm

[quote="HumanGazelle"]Mostly fights aren't won by skill or prowess, they're won by being unafraid of the consequences of severely damaging your opponent. In other words, by sociopaths. How is that healthy? Who would want to pump their aggression levels up so much that they're constantly fantasising about how to inflict pain and damage, about how much other people deserve it, about how much some people need putting in their place (even if they do)? You'll lose the ability to relate to people. I don't particularly want to relate to thugs but neither do I want to get off on the knowledge I could take them. Before long that leads to wanting to test your abilities, waiting for the opportunity to prove yourself, soon enough you'll be encouraging a situation instead of avoiding it. That's the path to the Dark Side.
Exactly the path I want to walk down. The Dark Side gives me a sense of power. I can feel it when I train and practice. The fantasies are the adrenaline rush I need to maintain the edge I need to survive in non-combat situations as well. I can't just turn it on when I need too so I try to keep it on most of the time.

I've never had to use martial arts or self-defense in a street situation, however I need to see it work in order to know what damage I can do and what I'm capable off.

Yes, I fantasize about stomping someones face or head in with the heel of my foot, the physical reaction of an asshole's knee being taken out by my low roundhouse kick, knocking someones front teeth out. I think about it without feeling or emotion.

It sucks I can't afford to train right now. I miss that cocky swagger.
tempehmomma

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 pm

[quote="tempehmomma"][quote="HumanGazelle"]Mostly fights aren't won by skill or prowess, they're won by being unafraid of the consequences of severely damaging your opponent. In other words, by sociopaths. How is that healthy? Who would want to pump their aggression levels up so much that they're constantly fantasising about how to inflict pain and damage, about how much other people deserve it, about how much some people need putting in their place (even if they do)? You'll lose the ability to relate to people. I don't particularly want to relate to thugs but neither do I want to get off on the knowledge I could take them. Before long that leads to wanting to test your abilities, waiting for the opportunity to prove yourself, soon enough you'll be encouraging a situation instead of avoiding it. That's the path to the Dark Side.
Exactly the path I want to walk down. The Dark Side gives me a sense of power. I can feel it when I train and practice. The fantasies are the adrenaline rush I need to maintain the edge I need to survive in non-combat situations as well. I can't just turn it on when I need too so I try to keep it on most of the time.

I've never had to use martial arts or self-defense in a street situation, however I need to see it work in order to know what damage I can do and what I'm capable off.

Yes, I fantasize about stomping someones face or head in with the heel of my foot, the physical reaction of an asshole's knee being taken out by my low roundhouse kick, knocking someones front teeth out. I think about it without feeling or emotion.

It sucks I can't afford to train right now. I miss that cocky swagger.

I fantasise about some people coming up to me to start a fight, people I don't like, and me defending myself, even though I didn't start or look for the fight. It's just a way to get violent tenancies (spelling?) outta me when I can't say, go for a walk to cool down.
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Edison Carasio » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Spug, I think there are def. some people who could use a little Spug Fu around here now . . .
Edison Carasio

Postby emm7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm

[quote="tempehmomma"]

this kind of attitude being put into action, is exactly why women need to memorize self defence tips!
emm7

Postby ninearms » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:41 pm

I don't think any amount of finger-breaking is going to be of any use against that!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby XkillerX » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:47 pm

tempeh, you need to get in the cage, N O W.

if you can keep those amounts of hate flowing non stop, you're a wasted could've-been if you dont get into the cage to fight.

i started mma because of hate, now i'm hooked on the fun factor. beating (and getting) the living shit (beaten) out of (me) somebody for purposes of fun and passtime is something i've been looking for all my life.

when i try to explain that to people they think i'm completely insane and a socio/psycopath.

well, that's what most people think of me my entire life, so nothing's changed!!!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby XkillerX » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

[quote="ninearms"]I don't think any amount of finger-breaking is going to be of any use against that!

there's nothing to *think* about it, it just won't. period.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby ninearms » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:02 pm

There's always tickling...
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby tempehmomma » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 pm

[quote="XkillerX"]tempeh, you need to get in the cage, N O W.

if you can keep those amounts of hate flowing non stop, you're a wasted could've-been if you dont get into the cage to fight.
Dude, I'm 38 1/2 years old.[quote="emm7"][quote="tempehmomma"]

this kind of attitude being put into action, is exactly why women need to memorize self defence tips!
emm7, I don't hit women. Period! I take offense to your post.[quote="ninearms"]I don't think any amount of finger-breaking is going to be of any use against that!
NIN, are you going to print out my post and have the Misses analyze it. :P Will I get paid for being a participant in a study? :lol:
tempehmomma

Postby emm7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 pm

tempeh I was only trying to say that the attitude of being able to cause harm to another without feeling or emotion is the cause of many problems..... from which the necessity to defend ourselves stems. In some people this attitude is permanent and pathological and this is what makes them people against whom we may need to defend ourselves. Hence the need to learn self defence tactics. (See previous posts in thread).

I would never wish to imply or suggest that you personally attack women! Apologies for any offence caused.
emm7

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:21 pm

[quote="emm7"]tempeh I was only trying to say that the attitude of being able to cause harm to another without feeling or emotion is the cause of many problems..... from which the necessity to defend ourselves stems. In some people this attitude is permanent and pathological and this is what makes them people against whom we may need to defend ourselves. Hence the need to learn self defence tactics. (See previous posts in thread).

I would never wish to imply or suggest that you personally attack women! Apologies for any offence caused.

What I got from your post was that it leads to people not being able to have empathy (and therefore can often be very dangerous, although not always as everyone is different), which is linked into what hs been said between us on the woman self defence "AHHHH OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK SHOULD I DO" thread. If that wasn't your message then oh well, but if it was, I agree with you.
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:07 am

[quote="emm7"]I would never wish to imply or suggest that you personally attack women! Apologies for any offence caused.
Okay I understand what you meant now.
tempehmomma

Postby Muay Jin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:23 am

Thats my personality when i'm drunk :(
Normally i'm the embodiment of Spug Fu.
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Re: Negative mindset when training self-defense

Postby prenna » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:00 am

[quote="spug_myers"]I feel a bit like I'm spamming up the woman's thread so I thought I'd move my question into a new one.

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15098&start=92

How do the martial artists on here deal with the effects of the negative thinking that go along with practicing their art?

If you take away the physical side for a minute: consider where devoting many hours a week to contemplating the worst that can happen will leave you.

It's f**kin awesome. Knowing that I can handle the worst case scenario means that I don't have to fixate on it and gives me the mental space to truly absorb myself in enjoying life. Even in terms of martial arts in increases my enjoyment. Instead of learning an art and thinking "Wow, 95% of this is bullshit", I can learn any art for arts sake, or for fitness, or to be a ninja (a personal favourite reason), knowing that my real arsenal is taken care of.

[quote]How do you guys cope with that? Especially if you've been the victim of an attack and that has lead you to start training. Isn't that bound to compound your already distorted perception of the dangers around you?

Nice, you nearly slipped your premise by us without us noticing. You automatically assume that we have a distorted perception of the dangers around us.

[quote]If your coping mechanism has been increasing your skills and fitness levels (to battle against your ever expanding imagined threat of attack), how would you deal with losing them through injury, illness or old age?

Again, you're presupposing that this is some kind of coping mechanism. You also presuppose that our assessment of potential threat is not only imagined but ever expanding. Frankly, at least in my case, that's bullshit.
prenna

Postby XkillerX » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:23 am

[quote="tempehmomma"]Dude, I'm 38 1/2 years old.

dude, randy's 45. in real world terms, you're at least 10 years fitter than your average 38 1/2 year old guy. get out and into the cage. come on, vegans reprazent! :wink:
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

PreviousNext

Return to Martial Arts