Negative mindset when training self-defense

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Crash » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:42 pm

You just want to incapacitate to get away - not maim or murder. :x

As for "Spug Fu" :P :roll: :lol: :D
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby The Duke » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:49 pm

[quote="ninearms"]
Who here would be prepared to deliver multiple knee drops to the head, given the chance?

Nope. Maybe once. I don't have that in me any more - for which I am trully thankful.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby The Duke » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 pm

[quote="ninearms"]"We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for."

"Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice." :D
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby AbFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm

[quote="Crash"]
As for "Spug Fu" :P :roll: :lol: :D
SpugFu, I think this would make a great avatar for you.
AbFab

Postby benzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]

But the basis of Myers Fu lies in the probability of getting in a fight being tiny (similar to the chance of actually having sex for IT workers), and the realisation that training in self defense only changes the probable outcome of said fight by a tiny amount (no matter how much the practitioners delude themselves).

Living a positive happy Myers-esque lifestyle actually decreases the initial probability of getting in a fight (surrounded by happy people, giving out positive vibes), meaning it is a more effective form of self defense than "self defense" is.

Plus you get to do fun stuff instead of attending nutter-led fear-driven self defense classes.

I don't plan on getting in any fights, but I have stepped in to break some up, and ended up being hit a few times in the head by some angry bikers with few teeth. But it probably would have been a lot worse if we'd had a brawl, which might have been a more tempting option had i any idea about how to fight!
benzilla

Re: Negative mindset when training self-defense

Postby AbFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]I feel a bit like I'm spamming up the woman's thread so I thought I'd move my question into a new one.

I'm trying to promote my new theories on sunshine, happiness, badminton and relentless positivity as an alternative to conventional self defense :)
Take it to VBB!
AbFab

Postby Edison Carasio » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:37 pm

[quote="spug_myers"][quote="Edison Carasio"]Some people live in places where they have no choice but to be aware of their surroundings [snip]

Guys, this is what I'm talking about.

If you find yourself writing delusional "some day a real rain will come" rants on internet message boards then the negative mindset has taken over.

YOU NEED MYERS FU MORE THAN EVER.

I don't need Myers Fu, I need Khalib Starnes Do, IE run away. :D I see your view to be just as delusional than any whack job ex-military self defense teacher.

Live in happiness and think the whole world is joy and peace and be unprepared for the worse.

Live in perpetual fear and sleep with one eye open and never know inner calm and rest.

Strike a balance and walk the middle path and know peace of mind. This is what I have done, regardless if anyone else would agree or not. Only I know how I feel.
Edison Carasio

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:48 pm

[quote="Edison Carasio"]Live in happiness and think the whole world is joy and peace and be unprepared for the worse.

SpugFu recognises the world is not all happiness and rainbows. However it also realises that "self defense" training is not an appropriate response. It will limit your own individual happiness and impair you ability to form relationships. It will dim your view of the happiness and the rainbows where they exist.

Traditional self defense will leave you stunted at the point FEAR discovered you. SpugFu will allow you to grow beyond it.

SpugFu practitioners are not unprepared, as discussed they have a high level of physical fitness, often participate in martial arts for fun and sport, and move in big, shiny, happy groups. Often they are singing and dancing.

[quote="Edison Carasio"]Only I know how I feel.

That's sad.

SpugFu practitioners know how each other feel. It is revealed through hugs.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:49 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]How do the martial artists on here deal with the effects of the negative thinking that go along with practicing their art?

If you take away the physical side for a minute: consider where devoting many hours a week to contemplating the worst that can happen will leave you.

i think you're basically starting from a false assumption here.

i see martial arts as two things: 1) a way to connect body/mind/spirit and to learn discipline and 2) a systematic and logical way of understanding body mechanics, the human body, and how to destroy an opponent.

i never saw it as "what would happen if some guy in a bar bumped into me" or "what would I do if Spug tries to sexually assault me in an unwanted way" (just kidding buddy, there ARE no unwanted ways when it comes to you)

so i never saw the evil negative ghosties or planned for a real fight. I think that any martial art needs to teach you how to kill or maim a person to be effective, but i've never planned on using it. And, if a 'situation' came up, I imagine I'd shite it and get my clock cleaned anyhow.

Plus, people have weapons, are almost always bigger than me, there could be multiple attackers etc etc. So my philosophy on that is, whatever is gonna happen will happen.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:54 pm

[quote="omar tan"]i think you're basically starting from a false assumption here.

i see martial arts as two things: 1) a way to connect body/mind/spirit and to learn discipline and 2) a systematic and logical way of understanding body mechanics, the human body, and how to destroy an opponent.

i never saw it as "what would happen if some guy in a bar bumped into me" or "what would I do if Spug tries to sexually assault me in an unwanted way" (just kidding buddy, there ARE no unwanted ways when it comes to you)

As discussed earlier, there are various reasons for practicing martial arts. As a sport, out of interest in the art. You sound like the latter. I don't think these can have the same negative mental effects as training for self defense.

This is a discussion of martial arts as self defense - along the lines of the discussions in "ground fight" and "what women need to know".

I suppose Krav Maga would be the type of thing I'm thinking about.
SpugFab

Postby emm7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm

spug you are taking the michael, right?
Smiling and being happy isn't going to help me when a dodgy man is attempting to follow me home after dark. But self defence skills might.
Smiling and being happy will come later when I get home in one piece with life and limb intact.
emm7

Postby tempehmomma » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't have any negative thinking that comes along with practicing martial arts. I don't contemplate the worse that could happen to me except getting sued or charged with a felony. I've never been attacked, beat up, mugged and I don't train for sport.

I train so the next time someone wants a piece of me I'll cripple that motherfucker and they'll regret talking trash or putting there hands on me for the rest of their natural life.
tempehmomma

Postby The Duke » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 pm

[quote="tempehmomma"]I don't have any negative thinking that comes along with practicing martial arts. I don't contemplate the worse that could happen to me except getting sued or charged with a felony. I've never been attacked, beat up, mugged and I don't train for sport.

I train so the next time someone wants a piece of me I'll cripple that motherfucker and they'll regret talking trash or putting there hands on me for the rest of their natural life.

What is wrong with this picture?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby ninearms » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Zing! My power to make other people type things on my behalf is stronger than I thought...
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Edison Carasio » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:28 pm

I personally practice martial arts for a combination of self defense and sport.

I practice MMA for sport, fitness and fun. This one encompasses awareness of timing, devloping pace and rhythem, cardio health, muscular endurance and power, hand/eye cordination, and control of a small confined area (ring or cage). It allows me to spend time with like minded individuals, get my heart rate pumping, let out any agression or frustration from the work day, solve boredom, or just compete to test my skills in a particular field of interest.

My self defense practices encompass how to know when I am in a bad neighborhood (Ie gang graffiti, abandoned vehicles, run down and empty buildings etc) and to identify that you must be more aware. Actually having to fight is a last resort. A simple "I better be more careful" or "I should turn around and go a different way" is all the self defense you need. This isn't something you sit and think about 24/7 like I think you are implying Spug. This is just a part of a personality to know how to do this. You know if your computer goes wacky, CTRL + ALT + Deletei is your freind. Well, I know that being able to identify danger and avoid it is my freind. I don't dwell on it 24/7, I just know when to apply my knowledge and what kinds of things throw up red flags to have me pull this info from my memory. This IMO this is healthy and natural.
Last edited by Edison Carasio on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edison Carasio

PreviousNext

Return to Martial Arts