MMA - help me understand

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby tempehmomma » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:38 am

[quote="prenna"][quote="tempehmomma"]One of the reasons why MMA is popular is because if the top pro boxer fought the top pro MMA fighter in ANY weight division the boxer would get destroyed.

I wanted to stick in my 2cents with regard to this. If any top pro MMA fighter fought any top pro boxer using boxing rules the MMA fighter would get destroyed. No "well rounded" mma fighter of note has the boxing skill to hold their own in a boxing match.

The fact is they are two different sports. Apples and oranges imho.
Using MMA rules before UFC and Pride modified their rules to favor grapplers UFC much more so than Pride, a world class boxer would get destroyed in any weight division. I posted UFC and Pride rules on another thread.

It's not comparing apples and oranges because both fighters from either sport would be allowed to use any technique they learned from their fighting discipline.
tempehmomma

Postby prenna » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:45 am

[quote="tempehmomma"][quote="prenna"][quote="tempehmomma"]One of the reasons why MMA is popular is because if the top pro boxer fought the top pro MMA fighter in ANY weight division the boxer would get destroyed.

I wanted to stick in my 2cents with regard to this. If any top pro MMA fighter fought any top pro boxer using boxing rules the MMA fighter would get destroyed. No "well rounded" mma fighter of note has the boxing skill to hold their own in a boxing match.

The fact is they are two different sports. Apples and oranges imho.
Using MMA rules before UFC and Pride modified their rules to favor grapplers UFC much more so than Pride, a world class boxer would get destroyed in any weight division. I posted UFC and Pride rules on another thread.

It's not comparing apples and oranges because both fighters from either sport would be allowed to use any technique they learned from their fighting discipline.

They are not fighting disciplines. They are sports. Two different sports. You'd be taking one fighter from one sport and putting them against a fighter from another sport in that fighter's given sport. Of course they would lose. Just as any mma fighter would have their arse handed to them stepping into a boxing match (which was in fact my original point).

The question of UFC & Pride's rule changes is irrelevent.
prenna

Postby SpugFab » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:47 am

MODS!!!

This is OFF-TOPIC :cry:

prenna - to mma fanboys it isn't just a sport. IT IS LIFE.
SpugFab

Postby ninearms » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 am

I think the real questions are:

Why hasn't MMA produced any bouts on a par with Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff, Legion of Doom vs Demolition, Ultimate Warrior vs Rick Rude, and so on?

How long before we start seeing faces and heels in the big league MMA organisations?
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby The Duke » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:27 am

[quote="ninearms"]
How long before we start seeing faces and heels in the big league MMA organisations?

Followed closely by lingerie MMA (hopefully)
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby No other way » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="prenna"]I think the sport in Japan is much more diverse and interesting.

i agree 100%
No other way

Postby tempehmomma » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote="prenna"]They are not fighting disciplines. They are sports.
I'm not interested in a silly discussion over semantics. You know what I meant by fighting disciplines.
[quote="prenna"]Two different sports. You'd be taking one fighter from one sport and putting them against a fighter from another sport in that fighter's given sport. Of course they would lose. Just as any mma fighter would have their arse handed to them stepping into a boxing match (which was in fact my original point).

The rules are relevant because *many* MMA fighters have more weapons (techniques) in their arsenal than a boxer. Throws, takedowns, arm/leg locks, kicks, punches, elbow/knee strikes, choke holds...
tempehmomma

Postby SpugFab » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

[quote="tempehmomma"][quote="prenna"]They are not fighting disciplines. They are sports.
I'm not interested in a silly discussion over semantics. You know what I meant by fighting disciplines.

This is a discussion of mma as sport, not as self defense.

[quote="tempehmomma"]The rules are relevant because *many* MMA fighters have more weapons (techniques) in their arsenal than a boxer. Throws, takedowns, arm/leg locks, kicks, punches, elbow/knee strikes, choke holds...

Still not relevant. I probably made a mistake making the comparison with boxing. It confused the mma fans. I should have made the comparison with football, tennis, cycling or athletics.

Nobody needs a "which style beats what" thread.

Thanks

Spug "Yet to see a MMA fighter who has punches in his arsenal" Myers
SpugFab

Postby fredrikw » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 pm

hey guys, a cyclist will take down an MMA guy anytime, check out these dangerous moves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk

cyclocross racers have a special trick up their sleeve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjmZ_KS8p4

so be afraid, be very afraid.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby prenna » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:51 am

[quote="tempehmomma"][quote="prenna"]They are not fighting disciplines. They are sports.

It's not about semantics it's about your attempt to homogenise two separate sports. You're doing the equivalent of saying that a 100 metre sprinter would have no chance competing against a 3000m Steeple Chaser runner because the steeple chaser has more tools in their arsenal (such as practice jumping over steeples). Even though they are both running disciplines they are different sports with different requirements of their athletes.

[quote][quote="prenna"]Two different sports. You'd be taking one fighter from one sport and putting them against a fighter from another sport in that fighter's given sport. Of course they would lose. Just as any mma fighter would have their arse handed to them stepping into a boxing match (which was in fact my original point).

The rules are relevant because *many* MMA fighters have more weapons (techniques) in their arsenal than a boxer. Throws, takedowns, arm/leg locks, kicks, punches, elbow/knee strikes, choke holds...

The rules are irrelevent to the argument because we are discussing different sports. Of course they'll have different rules, that's what makes sports different from each other.

You've still completely ignored the fact that any mma fighter would be smashed if they tried to fight in a boxing match. The boxing skill level in mma is woeful.
prenna

here's a few

Postby aphexish » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Nog vs Barnett 1 and 2
Fedor vs Crocop
Liddell vs Wanderlei
Kawajiri vs Melendez
BJ Penn vs Pierre

All of those are good fights, that went back and forth.
aphexish

Postby puppydog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:05 am

[quote="ninearms"]I think the real questions are:

Why hasn't MMA produced any bouts on a par with Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff, Legion of Doom vs Demolition, Ultimate Warrior vs Rick Rude, and so on?

Those are good rivalries but Kamala the Ugandan Giant vs. Andre the Giant circa 1981 really sets the standard in my opinoin. (Kamala's manager was named KimChee....)

Anyhow I think with Brock Lesnar it won't be long.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Previous

Return to Martial Arts