Boxe-Francaise Savate anyone?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Boxe-Francaise Savate anyone?

Postby Rawfighter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:58 pm

Has anyone here either seen or practiced Savate (Boxe-Francaise)?

There tends to be a mystery surrounding Savate, as so few martial artists have ever trained it properly. It is an Anglo-French kickboxing style, one of the few indigenous European martial arts, predating modern kickboxing by several centuries.

To watch and to practise, Savate is a graceful, fluid kickboxing style. Its moves are designed to be controlled, light and quick. The foot is extended for kicking, and not drawn back as it would in Karate or TKD. Top Savate fighters are able to deliver light, numerous kicks, moving fluently between hands and feet, ranges and heights.

Modern Savate is most commonly fought 'Assaut' style, in which contact must be controlled, or else disqualification ensues. The sporting aspect is predominant in training, but this does not ignore its streetfighting origins. The accuracy of the kicks allows the fighter to be technical and effective. Because brute force is not a tool in Savate, women can be as effective as men.

Does anyone have any experience in training in Savate? I've seen in the US that Savate Danse La Rue is quite popular.

I am starting a Savate class in London from 9 September: see www.londonsavate.co.uk. The course will be an introduction to the kicks, footwork, hand strikes etc, and will give a good overview of how the art works and how to get fitter, more flexible and learn to kickbox effectively.

All are welcome to join me in Camden, North London.

James
Rawfighter

Postby prenna » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:19 pm

As part of my Jeet Kune Do training I've looked at some Savate techniques and regularly include some Savate style kicks into my training. The little pecking kicks using the tip of the foot are excellent when applied to the knees of your opponent. I haven't learnt it in any great detail though so my techniques would probably be laughed at by most Savate practitioners.
prenna

Postby Rawfighter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:41 pm

Yes - the leg kicks can be very effective as the reach you acquire with Savate can keep someone away quite comfortably.

Bruce Lee made some studies of Savate (reputedly) and JKD practitioners tend to be quite fond of it. The accuracy is the main attraction: going for knees (forbidden in sports version) is available if you are training for real.

Some top Savateurs aim for specific organs, seeing as they fight with the toes they can get through the guard and choose a rib, your liver, etc if they please. It has been said that the heart can be forced to miss a beat if hit with enough speed and precision with a Savate boot.

Plus it's good fun and gets you very flexible.
Rawfighter

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:06 pm

Wish you were in Wolverhampton. :( Sounds brilliant! As a francophile and JKD fan (though not practitioner.) I study karate, and have discovered that I can beat the kick boxers in my local gym easily, although I am only yellow belt wado ryu. To be honest, I am wondering if they are any good...

This sounds a really challenging, elegant sport. I would love to learn.

Did they use it in Brotherhood of the Wolf? (Great film, by the way...)
Mary

Return to Martial Arts