Jeet Kune Do...

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Jeet Kune Do...

Postby scout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:17 pm

Hi all...newbie to the forums here. I started working out a few weeks ago in the gym, and I also decided to take up a form of martial arts. After reading this forum and getting a few ideas, I researched Jeet Kune Do and came to the conclusion this is the martial art I want to initially try. So I called a local instructer and had a great conversation with him, we talked for about half an hour.

He asked me what am I basically looking to get out of martial arts...and I told him that as a single 35 year old female, a situation could come up where I will need to defend myself. I didn't tell him that as an animal rights activist, I'd like to be able to protect myself should a demonstration get nasty. But that's one of my main reasons, too. The primary reason is that I want to push myself physically to be the best I can be. I've never been disciplined when it comes to self-health except for the fact that I'm a vegan (and mainly for ethical reasons) and for a long time I've been feeling I'm taking my relative good health for granted.

His classes are small - about 5 to 7 students per class. I like that.

He seems like he knows his stuff, and I'm really excited about this. Scared, too! But - that's another reason I want to do this: to face my fears.
scout

Postby Strix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:50 pm

Ahh! cool, scout! Sounds like your mindset is perfect. I want to start a martial arts class too. I just haven't gotten around to it.

By the way, any advice on how to look for one to decide on? To tell you the truth, I find the options overwhelming. Just reading the board here, there are all these styles/types that it blows my mind :shock: I have no idea where to begin. I wouldn't even know what to look up! And then how to even decide what is good...

Anyway, keep us posted on how it goes :)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby scout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:04 pm

Hey Strix...well, I looked over this forum and saw a lot of choices too, but one thing that stood out to me about JKD was that it seemed like it teaches techniques that would be useful in real-life situations. So I did some more research on it on the Internet, and basically confirmed that. It's also, from what I understand, a bit more freeform and incorporates elements from many different martial arts disciplines. Plus, it is heavily based on Bruce Lee's fighting technique, and you certainly can't go wrong there! :)

I really want to learn how to protect myself in a dangerous situation, and this seems like a no nonsense discipline. I understand it has spiritual aspects to it as well, but I will have to wait until I actually take a class to understand this better.
Last edited by scout on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scout

Postby prenna » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Excellent choice. I've been practising JKD for about 4 or 5 years now and it's definitely a great way to improve your self-defence skills. The way that it blends a number of different martial arts to create the most effective system for the individual is fantastic in my book.

Another good thing about it is that a lot of JKD classes teach it mixed with Filipino martial arts, which are seriously street-effective.
prenna

Postby scout » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:31 pm

Prenna, thanks for confirmation of that...I've read your posts and obviously you know what you're talking about. :) Actually, the more I think about taking this class, the more I'm wondering: am I going to be way, way over my head?? I've never taken any kind of martial arts before!

Nevertheless, I do strive to do things that are over my head because that gets me out of my comfort zone. Plus, I really do think JKD is the best choice for what I'm looking to get out of martial arts. And I was super impressed with the teacher I talked to. He spent a long time with me on the phone and I get the feeling he will be someone who is responsible & careful yet not coddle me just because I'm female. When I went to the gym later that day, I mentioned him to a gym member with a background in martial arts and he said he knows who the guy is and that he's very well known for being an extremely talented fighter (in the competitive sense, not bar-room brawl sense).
scout

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:54 pm

I thought Strix was calling you a 'good Scout' and then I find out Scout is your IDname :mrgreen: hehe. Good scoutin bro, err sis! <sorry> [eta].

Hell sure yeah, with its mixture of styles and a spiritual aspect too and BruceLee to back it and all... Like Scout I also figure
you can't go wrong so if y'all wanna count me in as a novice JeetKuneDo potential student, by all means rope me in, lol. :D

[quote]very well known for being an extremely talented fighter (in the competitive sense, not bar-room brawl sense).

Yeah, who wants to be for the bar room brawl, I sure as hell NEVER do.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby scout » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:02 pm

I can't wait to start these classes. It won't be until the end of the month. In the meantime, I'm going to the gym almost every day. I'm pretty sure i'm going to need more muscular endurance/strength for any type of martial arts.

Next week our city is voting on whether or not to ban circuses with exotic animals from coming to town. So today a bunch of us are passing out literature to educate people about the cruel treatment of circus animals. OF course, the opposition has signs everywhere saying "don't ban the circus". And we're not trying to ban the whole circus. But of course they have no real argument so they have to distort the facts.

In general, people that oppose animal welfare/rights initiatives are often very angry, irrational people who scream and assert their points rather than logically explain them. That's one of the main reasons I want to learn how to protect myself, I don't trust these types of people at all. Jeet Kune Do seemed like the most practical/real-life self-defense discipline. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll be really good at it!
So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all this sad world needs.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
scout

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:41 pm

Yeah, although sadly (or gladly?) I have never been involved in any protest or activist situations due to whatever going on in my life so far..
but I HAVE HAD in ordinary situations, had encounters with the odd bully, a machismo woman for instance extremely hellbent and beligerant on being antagonistic toward me for no reason other than my veganism basicly... and her brute behaviour is what you might label the *threatening* opposition (rightly so called) and such I guess is no less the threat potentially present that one would encounter at a protest or activist event I don't doubt only with more on either side joining in of course depending on the fervour and the passion for and against whatever the thing.

But anyway my point is that such people to whom animal rites is a mere obstacle this is their often mindless angry state, but whereas our new found stability through doing things like martial arts contributes greatly to
mind AND body, how we think and how we act, and I think is what will save us from having to put up with endlesss further disgust (at animal abusers immorality) as we AR people realize all the more how distant these brutes are from being human beings, and how appropiately to deal with them and keep them at a safe distance and when need be by defending ourselves against a physical strike (despite our non violent natures)...
What is evident in my nature, suggests to me that whilst attacks can thwarted this way, what we also realize is that yes we are more motivated this way, having to defend ourselves, but ALSO karma and all such as the ability to stay peaceable, calm and collected and so on!!! All of which just on its own merit gives us more credibility of our human spirit per'se....for martial arts is ideal for developing these traits I don't doubt many would agree with me there on principle and as hopefully people like you Scout will prove in practice also. (not least myself likewise I hope).

Basicly we are keeping fit not just for health but obviously for other benefits too spurned by health and therefore take that advantage in
being able to protect ourselves and thus in the end live peaceable lives.

All this and more owing to ourselves, not least each other, but most of all
innocent animals that get caught in between experiencing humans of a
kind nature but all too often end up in the clutches of the ethically twisted
and hellbent.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby Mary » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:38 pm

[quote]In general, people that oppose animal welfare/rights initiatives are often very angry, irrational people who scream and assert their points rather than logically explain them. That's one of the main reasons I want to learn how to protect myself, I don't trust these types of people at all. Jeet Kune Do seemed like the most practical/real-life self-defense discipline. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll be really good at it!

I hope you never need it for the reasons you suggest, but applaud your decision to be sensible, and learn to defend yourself. I don't know the situation in America, but most activists I know in the UK have been attacked at some point or other by the opposition. While I don't believe we should ever start a fight, we should know how to defend ourselves if we have to. However, I like Daniel's style of self defence - diffuse the situation!

Glad to hear you are opposing the circus. Let us all know how it goes.
Mary

Postby Strix » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:59 pm

[quote="scout"]Hey Strix...well, I looked over this forum and saw a lot of choices too, but one thing that stood out to me about JKD was that it seemed like it teaches techniques that would be useful in real-life situations. So I did some more research on it on the Internet, and basically confirmed that. It's also, from what I understand, a bit more freeform and incorporates elements from many different martial arts disciplines. Plus, it is heavily based on Bruce Lee's fighting technique, and you certainly can't go wrong there! :)

I really want to learn how to protect myself in a dangerous situation, and this seems like a no nonsense discipline. I understand it has spiritual aspects to it as well, but I will have to wait until I actually take a class to understand this better.

Thanks, scout! Appreciate it...

Ugh, I *despise* circuses :evil: :x :(
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Cuguacuarana » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:48 am

JKD is awesome. Good luck.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Return to Martial Arts