martial arts or gym membership?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

martial arts or gym membership?

Postby barbara » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:49 am

I have been to a few martial arts classes now. My problem is that I can only afford one monthly membership. Gym membership or a martial arts classes.

I have been going to the same gym my entire adult life. I started to go regularly since becoming vegan almost 6 years ago. Being vegan has made me healthy! I follow a usual, pretty strict routine and credit it with keeping me healthy, sober and smoke free so am sort of afraid to make any changes.

At the same time, I don't want to be stuck doing the same thing indefinitely as it can be unchallenging.

If you had a choice, what would you choose? I am not sure how many of you here in this section do both. My classes would only be twice a week. Right now I go to 3 sometimes 4 classes at my gym and 2 weight sessions a week. I assume practice will take alot of time so I wouldn't need to worry about having a day with nothing to do. I could also do something else for cardio besides a class at a gym.

I am also not sure what martial art to do. I have tried 2 different ones so far. I went to the links section but there are so many to choose from. As a total novice, is there one that is a good place to start? I tried Hapkido and Kung Fu. Neither really got into too much as a first and second class but I am very drawn to the discipline, respect aspects and that someone is telling you what to do! :D
barbara

Postby PaHulkster » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:54 am

http://www.mattfurey.com

Go there, and get Combat Conditioning. That will be the cost of one month at a gym. You'll never need a gym again. Now you can take martial arts classes. You have tons of options when choosing an art. Well, maybe less depending on the schools in your area. Are you interested in something for self-defense, or something more traditionally focused? Traditional arts will help you defend yourself, but something more incident proven like Krav Maga would be better if you're interested in self-defense. Good luck.

Edit: I'm not sure if I can post that link or not because of previous issues, but I'll keep it in for now. Let me know if it needs to come out.
PaHulkster

Postby pandiriver » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:38 pm

Hmmm.. Martial arts or Gym. that's a though one - totally depends on what you like spending your time with.

Me, I'm lucky - I do both. If I had to chose I'd go with martial arts (wing tsun kung fu & escrima concepts for me - both that I totally enjoy 'cause of the total lack of training for tournaments, no discipline and no respect =P)). Martial arts speak more to me. I train Kung Fu 'cause there is nothing else to do really - and the goal is jus the training. Brilliant =)

with the gym it's more like "hey this is fun, feels good" and a goal to get some muscles. hrmm.. I could do that at home if I had to tho.

oh well. Go try all the local clubs and see what tickles your fancy =)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby prenna » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:55 pm

[quote="PaHulkster"]http://www.mattfurey.com

Go there, and get Combat Conditioning.

Alternatively you can go to http://www.trainforstrength.com and get better material for free from a guy that doesn't make bs claims and isn't racist.

I bought Furey's material before discovering the wealth of information out there from more reputable sources (something Furey relies on). Then I discovered the material on trainforstrength.com and found that it is much better.
prenna

Postby stateofflux » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:32 pm

PAHulkster, thanks for asking about the link.

How about we agree that Matt Furey and his general nastiness and racism is not really welcome here on VF, and as a moderator, I am asking you not to post links to his site anymore. I think it's pretty clear from all of your messages that you are a fan and that he's been sufficiently advertised here for VF members to make up their own minds about him.

Barbara, I'd join a gym and take martial arts classes, depending on the gym. Here in Manchester, and actually in most gyms I've been in, you'll often find highly trained and skilled martial artists giving classes, it's just something they do on the side. The fact they teach in a gym doesn't make the class or training session somehow less worthy. In my opinion anyway! And of course this may not be the same in all countries!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:17 pm

If I had to pick only one, I would go for MA I am afraid - especially since Barbara is drawn to discipline. But then as Rochelle says, you can find a gym with MA as part of the package. And Rochelle - the gym I just joined has a vegan of thirteen years standing doing yoga! (Also teaches tai chi and boxing. Pretty solid looking guy...) So I am going to be taking a yoga class on Fridays, an hour and a half. Yahay! You said it would happen.

Keep looking Barbara. I know what you mean, about not wanting things to change too much. I am having to get used to training without Neil, and he has been my mentor so far - as Crystal said, sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone. On the other hand, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. You have done well with the gym, and made it work for you. A good gym can be a home away from home. Just give yourself another month or two of looking for a good local gym that also does martial arts. Then make your mind up.

The fact that I am bonkers about Martial Arts shouldn't influence your decision. You know yourself what really appeals to you. Josh lets people have a month free before they make their minds up, as he wants them to really know what the class is about. One lesson might not be enough to make your mind up.

Check out Daniels thread on what to look for in a dojo for some other ideas.
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:54 pm

So great that you are going to be taking yoga classes at your gym! I do a class at my gym and it's a case in point, my teacher for that class is one of very few senior certified Iyengar teachers in the North West (they are a rare and dogmatic breed these Iyengar sorts :wink: ), he also teaches at the Iyengar Institute in the North West and is a superb teacher. I was very surprised to see him teaching in a gym. He has a regular core group- some students have been practicing with him for 5 years or so at the same gym. So that's cool. You never know who you'll get. Do you know what style the class is?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby JO » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:00 pm

that's a good tip about people teaching aerobics/fitness kickboxing having martial arts backgrounds & just ask them whether.

yes, there's an excellent ashtanga teacher who makes the trip to India annually and has her own studio, even, here in Chicago, but she teaches at the gym where I go and that's actually how I got started with yoga (liked the name "ashtanga", and she was good). It's a good way for instructors to meet new clients/potential yoginis and share the benefits of good practice, etc.
JO

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:00 pm

Not yet. He also does Pilates, tai chi (not enough interest yet for a class during the day though - I have off peak membership) and boxing. He is well built, but does no weights, so I suppose he must be quite tough on himself.

I found out today that he is a Buddhist too. Was vegan before a Buddhist though, and recently got in an argument with a meat eating Buddhist about - well - what else! Nice that some Buddhists practise what they preach. :D
Mary

Postby barbara » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:32 pm

All of your gyms there sound better than mine. We have to pay extra for classes like pilates and yoga so it adds up in the monthly fee. We had a martial arts class but unfortunately no one went, including myself ,so it got cancelled indefinitely. I never even thought about switching gyms. Maybe some of the newer ones will have more options. I will keep looking and taking the free classes. Maybe I will find a class yet that doesn't cost so much.

Unfortunately, I think if I started any "at home" plan. I will end up finding other things to do. Self discipline is something I am working towards but I do know myself well!

Your new gym sounds very cool Mary! They sound like they really care about their members which is perfect as you are getting used to training without someone you were used to training with. I know my sister is a huge motivator for me which is another reason why I have stayed where I am so long as we both go to the same place.
barbara

Postby Frostfire » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:26 am

Hey Barbara, I'd like to add my thoughts, but I am a bit biased toward martial arts so I had a different idea:

Flip a coin! If it comes up, for example, to go with the gym but you deep down really want to do martial arts, you will tell yourself "hum, I should flip again". Then you would know! It's a good way to force yourself to find out what you really want (sometimes) - I could just be a little crazy here as well :roll: .

Or you could find a gym like Rochelle was describing, but good luck! I know none of the gyms around me teach any martial arts, just aerobics and yoga.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:49 am

Good idea Crystal! Go for it Barbara. That might tell you more than we can.
Mary

Postby Myrddin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:16 pm

Definitely go to martial arts classes. You can do gym stuff at home and a martial arts class will deal with your cardio. But its really hard to learn martial arts from a book or a video. Go to a martial arts class (preferably one that does both standing and groundwork) and save up for a barbell and some weights. You can do practically everything with a barbell and weights - if there is a chin up bar in a park near you, even better (you can do chin ups and hanging leg raises)!

Adam
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Postby barbara » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:43 am

Help! could someone please check this link and tell me what you think? There are SO many different kinds to choose from. This school is better because it offers 4 classes a week and also offers yoga which I am dying to try.

http://www.creativefightersguild.com/newindex.htm

Also, someone is offering to sell me their Bowflex really super cheap. Has anyone used one of these? I am thinking I really could do weight stuff at home. Thank you!
barbara

Postby Mary » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:00 am

If you can afford it, and it is near enough to go to, then go for it! I think it looks great. Don't believe all the hype though. "Double your progress in half the time!" Just advertising spin. But for all that, it is certain that training with people will really push you on.

I would go for the Jeet Kun Do personally. A fantastic style of martial arts. I see they are trying to persuade women to do kick boxing. Well, if you can do that as well fine. I used to love Tai Bo, and am looking forward to doing a thai kick boxing class at my new gym. But if it is a choice between the two, go for jkd.

Oh, the most important thing though, is go for the class you feel most comfortable and confident in. This may change as things progress, but how you get on with your teacher is key.
Mary

Next

Return to Martial Arts