Ground Fighting

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Ground Fighting

Postby Frostfire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:29 am

So, I'm beginning to realize that my martial art is lacking in ground fighting (the only area where it is lacking might I had ;) ). I don't want to do anything new soon, but I'm thinking that in the future I will want to add a martial art that is primarily ground fighting to sort of make up for it. What do y'all recommend?
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby funfetus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:07 am

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu seems to be the choice of just about everyone in mixed martial arts for ground fighting. That, or good old fashioned wrestling.
funfetus

Postby pandiriver » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:19 pm

Mike Pyle's GAP seems nice 8)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:07 pm

Speaking of adding a new martial art, the gym I have just joined does Thai Kick Boxing, and I can have a free lesson a week. Now I love the idea, but will it mess up my karate? Cause, frankly, I have watched some of these guys, and I could (to sound American :wink: ) whale on most of them. They look like they are having great fun though, and the instructor looks a lot better than most of the class. And another possibility is boxing. Taught by a vegan of thirteen years standing, with all the other students big blokes (a lot of them bouncers.) Wouldn't it do me a lot of good to train with men? (I do anyway, but these guys are more likely to be street in their style, and don't look like they pull their punches.) Again, would it mess up my karate?

It is just, it is down the road, free, and I love fighting. That makes me sound so thuggish. :( But you know what I mean. But I really want to keep my karate as clean and smart as possible.
Mary

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:58 pm

What's ground fighting in martial arts?

*Mary likes to kick ass* :P
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:00 pm

Strix wrote:*Mary likes to kick ass* :P

Oh dear. My secret is out...
Mary

Postby Frostfire » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:00 pm

Strix wrote:What's ground fighting in martial arts?

It is simply fighting while on the ground. Say someone throws you. You are now laying on the ground, but definatly not out. Most no-holds-bar fights end up on the ground it seems. Also, if you are on the ground and the other person isn't, you are by no means at a disadvantage if you know some ground fighting moves! Very practical stuff. It's sort of like wrestling, well, sort of.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:43 pm

Ahh, okay, thanks!
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:58 pm

Or alternatively somebody gets you on the ground, tries to rape you, you bite his nose and twist really hard, till it goes crack. Then you head butt him and throw him off. Then you kick him as hard as you can in the bollox repeatedly. Then the police come along and arrest you for assault. :roll:

They dropped charges when they realised he had a previous conviction of attempted rape. (This is why I do martial arts...)
Mary

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:38 pm

:evil: :evil:

So he went to jail for attempted rape, right?

Right? :|
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:45 pm

No. The police refused to charge him, because the taxi driver who called in the incident originally said it was my fault.

On the other hand, I kicked him so hard that his left testicle burst. The scrotal sack filled up with blood, and by the time the ambulance got there it was nearly as big as a football, and they had to cut his pants of him. He lost the left testicle.

I think the police didn't like to admit that they had made a mistake. When I told them what had happened the police woman questioning me said that "women who have been attacked don't behave like you did. They freeze." Then she said that even if he had attacked me I had over reacted, and I shouldn't have put him in hospital. By fighting back I might have made him angry, and he would have hurt me worse.

So, next time somebody tries to rape you, lie back and relax. Then they will rape you nicely.

This was five years ago, and it still makes me furious, that the stupid woman said that. It is too late to sue now for false arrest and mental distress. I didn't know anything then about how the police worked.

If I had known martial arts I wouldn't have hurt myself as badly in the process of my defence. (Hurt my neck badly, head butting and wrenching him off me.) However, I would sooner hurt myself preventing a rape than make myself a sympathetic victim that the police would support by lying there passively thinking, "oh, I am only a woman. Mustn't make him mad at me..."
Mary

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:42 pm

OMG...

I don't even know what to say. You were raped. By the system. :evil:

I'm so sorry and I'm so peeved. I'm angry for you. Big ~HUG~ for you too.

:evil:
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Defense

Postby Daniel » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 am

Mary, it is so awful that that happened to you. But on the other hand, where do I sign-up for Marydo Ryu?

I say, if someone attacks you, you do what ever it take to get them off of you. A couple months ago a I was jumped by this drunk and he was choking me, so I stuck my thumb in the jerks eye. It got him off of me, but then he cried for hours about how I fight dirty--even called my house and left several messages on my machine. WTF? The guy jumped and I was about to pass out, was I just supposed to let it happen?

It is so messed up that the police were saying you went to far. I believe very strongly in nonviolence, but I ain't no pacifist. If you are being raped, or someone is otherwise trying to cause you physical harm, you do what you have to. If more rapist ended up in the hospital there would probably be a lot less repeat offenders.
Daniel

Re: Defense

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:06 am

Daniel wrote: If more rapist ended up in the hospital there would probably be a lot less repeat offenders.

Apparently women succesfully defending themselves doesn't make the news - according to the female nurse at the hospital where I had to take myself for a check up (the police didn't bother) most attempted rapes don't actually work. I would love to see some studies done.

The whole point of reporting female victims, but ignoring those who defend is to make women feel weak. My tuppenceworth anyway.

Sounds like you know Daniel Ryu anyway. Keep on fighting dirty - when you have too. :wink:
Mary

Postby pandiriver » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:20 am

Mary wrote:Or alternatively somebody gets you on the ground, tries to rape you, you bite his nose and twist really hard, till it goes crack. Then you head butt him and throw him off. Then you kick him as hard as you can in the bollox repeatedly.

good going! that's the way to treat these pervs.

I read somewhere that 80% of the women who actually try to use force to avoid being raped can avoid it. Seems rapists prey on the weak and hope they'll scare someone senseless and when they do get someone fighting to get out they chicken out. :roll:
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Next

Return to Martial Arts