Best exercises for muscular endurance?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby funfetus » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:52 am

[quote="david"]If you don't mind spending the money, I recommend you check out Bas Rutten's Mixed Martial Arts Workout.

Thanks a lot, man. You owe me 60 bucks.

:lol:

I'll report back once I've gotten it and tried it out.
funfetus

Postby Heyutang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:12 am

I don't know, but seems no one mentioned it yet: just lower the weight and increase your reps!! Your muscle fibers probably are more of the short type, so good for short and explosive moments. What you now strive for is the long type, woth more oxygen and thus more endurance. You need to train for that, and your muscles will look different from that as well.
Besides more reps (still the best way!), isometric work is also good- was mentioned in this thread already. JUst keep on holding the weight in a fixed position for as long as you can. Possible for every muscle group.

[quote]There is one where you stand in horse stance, with your arms out in front of you, slightly less than shoulder height, relax, but hold your hands without moving them. For as long as possible. They start to ache after a while!

This is the basic Qi Gong posture. I trained very hard for this some years ago. I could hold this position for 1h15mins at a certain time. There are some other much harder positions than this one. They train meridians, tendons and ligaments really well. Internal martial art does not care about muscles, but about tendons: that is where the real power comes from.
Heyutang

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:04 am

I know a lot of people train their muscles, but don't pay attention to the tendons, with the result that the muscles outgrow the tendons, and cause problems. As well as weights and karate I do yoga - I used to love tai chi, but can't find a teacher. What other postures do you advise to develop tendon strength?
Mary

Postby Heyutang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:27 am

There are literally thousands of postures. Qi Gong has so many subdivisions and branches, one can never learn it all. As one of my Tai Chi teachers (Gordon Faulkner from Scotland, he's good!) used to say: "There's always more". I loved the way he said that.
OK postures: gosh Mary you really want to let me write a book? The best is learning it from a teacher. I initially learned my Qi Gong from Mantak Chia, a taoist teacher. His system teacher ancient Chinese meditation but also the physical part: Dao Yin (Chinese yoga), Qi Gong and Tai Chi.
His QI Gong is really useful in that he chose a few exercises that train the most important tendons and structures. The basis stance is embrace the tree, probably much like what you called sticky hands, but with a different hand position. There are however many many small details to pay attention to, like coccyx and sacrum position, knees, hips, spine, footsoles, neck, vertex, elbow uhm the whole body I mean.
Another one is the turtle stance. IN this one you bend to the front, back completely straight and paralled with the floor, hands turned inwards under the face. Now hold :) This is a tough one but strenghtens the back like nothing else. Another one is holding the urn. Horse stance and hold your hands out like you would hold an urn in each hand. Really twist your arms and relax in the position. This can be done both inwards and outwards. I think you need to see some pictures to really understand it, but couldn't find any online. There are books by Chia though, maybe check your local library? Also it might be worth finding out if there is no Universal Tao group in your area, they are quite a few practitioners in England. Better even, find Gordon Faulkner. He must be one of the best in Europe. He is quite short and thin, no muscle at all. He once told me the story that some aikido practitioners wouldn't believe this talk about inner strength and tendons and all. So he asked two of the biggest and bulkiest guys to hold his both arms. He would let them pull, wait a while and then he just pulled one brief second and bang! their heads against each other!
Also, I believe the Shaolin monks are now in London performing. If you can: go see it!! All of you! I've seen them in Beijing and it is really awesome. They break sticks on their abdomens, arms, even heads. All this is Qi Gong strength. One of them is specialized in Bagua Zhang, one of the Chinese inner martial arts in which you keep on turning and twisting to confuse your opponent. What he does is incredible, he's like a robot. Awesome![/code]
Heyutang

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:42 am

Thanks! I shall look into these suggestions and let you know how they go. And yes, write a book. :lol: Stick it up online with you doing the poses, and spread the word! Vegan Power!
Mary

Postby Heyutang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:44 am

ok but I'll write it in Chinese. OK? :lol:
Heyutang

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:21 am

Bugger. :lol:
Mary

Postby david » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:17 am

[quote="funfetus"]
Thanks a lot, man. You owe me 60 bucks.
:lol:
I'll report back once I've gotten it and tried it out.

haha. yea, the checks on it's way.
let me know how you like it.
david

Postby funfetus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:49 pm

Got it a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to do more than a couple rounds yet, but I watched the DVD, and I can tell it's gonna be an asskicker.

Thanks again.
funfetus

Previous

Return to Martial Arts