Best exercises for muscular endurance?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Best exercises for muscular endurance?

Postby funfetus » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:53 am

I think my biggest weak-point in my physical conditioning for my martial art is my muscular endurance. My trainer says I've got power, and I never seem to get out of breath when I spar, but my muscles, particularly my shoulders and quads, get worn the hell out.

What are the best exercises for this? I'm doing pushups, jumping rope, and plan to start doing hindu squats regularly, in addition to my normal weight-training routine. Any other suggestions? What sort of numbers should I be shooting for? Thanks.
funfetus

Postby PaHulkster » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:39 am

Try adding hindu pushups and handstand pushups into your routine.
PaHulkster

Postby prenna » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:19 am

Here is a workout that will really help your muscular endurance:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml
prenna

Postby Frostfire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:22 am

Hum, I don't know how to help shoulders, but running will give you crazy leg (quad) endurance. Or try holding your kicks (you kick in your MA right :? ?). Phew, you will be the endurance king if you do that.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby funfetus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:11 am

[quote="Crystal"]Hum, I don't know how to help shoulders, but running will give you crazy leg (quad) endurance. Or try holding your kicks (you kick in your MA right :? ?). Phew, you will be the endurance king if you do that.

I'm running already, but it doesn't seem to be helping enough. I've started doing some high-rep bodyweight squats.

Kicking is very important in muay thai, but I'm not sure the kicks are well-suited to being held. The main kick, the roundhouse, basically just uses the whole body to swing the leg "through" the target, like a bat or a club. There are no side kicks, and the front kick is mainly used defensively, to push the opponent away.
funfetus

Postby pandiriver » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:22 pm

the wing tsun rolling arms exercise gives great shoulder endurance :wink: and standing in the I-Peed-My-Pants stance we have gives great legs :D

for the rest of you... how about holding heavy stuff in front of you with arms straight for as long as you can? should work the shoulders and give endurance, no?
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby funfetus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:43 pm

I can imagine the I-Peed-My-Pants stance...what's the rolling arms exercise?
funfetus

Postby pandiriver » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:31 pm

hmm.. was asking google for a good picture of the most wonderful of all stances - no luck. oh well. Dang you guys are missing out on something 8)

anyhoo. rolling arms (poon-sao) two person is a WT-exercise for training chi-sao. Gives good shoulder endurance basically 'cause you stand with your arms in front of you the whole time (anywhere from 10 minutes to 5 hrs ;))

looks something like this. Yip Man and Bruce Lee btw =)

http://www.wingtsunwelt.com/german/welt ... /ym_05.jpg

complete with the Ipeedmypants-stance too! yay!
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:56 pm

Sticky hands in tai chi! Woohoo!

Do a google for the eight treasures, tai chi, and see what you get. There is one where you stand in horse stance, with your arms out in front of you, slightly less than shoulder height, relax, but hold your hands without moving them. For as long as possible. They start to ache after a while!

But the best thing to do is to do the excercise. So punch the air (or a bag) repeatedly. Kick something (preferabley a heavy bag) repeatedly. Keep it up! If at first you only manage ten minutes, aim to increase it by thirty seconds a time.

That way you train specifically for that movement, and no other.

My theory for what it is worth, anyway.
Mary

Postby kettlebellnut » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:02 pm

[quote]Try adding hindu pushups and handstand pushups into your routine.

I've started doing these in addition to holding 'dog pose' for as long as I can (2 minutes - aiming for 5 minutes) - Ouch. The Hindu pushups are amazing.
kettlebellnut

Postby funfetus » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:29 am

I did a set of dive-bombers (similar to hindu pushups) in the bathroom at work last night, and those buggers were a lot harder than I expected.
funfetus

Postby prenna » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:17 am

[quote="funfetus"]I did a set of dive-bombers (similar to hindu pushups) in the bathroom at work last night, and those buggers were a lot harder than I expected.

I mix divebombers and hindu press ups. They are great exercises.
prenna

Postby pandiriver » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:13 am

[quote="Mary"]Sticky hands in tai chi! Woohoo!

Do a google for the eight treasures, tai chi, and see what you get. There is one where you stand in horse stance, with your arms out in front of you, slightly less than shoulder height, relax, but hold your hands without moving them. For as long as possible. They start to ache after a while!

that what I said.. poon-sao is sticky hands training ;) WT style tho, not tai chi style. tai chi style is weird :shock:
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby david » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:11 pm

If you don't mind spending the money, I recommend you check out Bas Rutten's Mixed Martial Arts Workout.
http://basrutten.tv/html/mma_workout.html
I use this regularly as part of my training routine.
It's essentially a set of audio cds/cassettes where you are given combinations/exercises to do, broken into 2-3 minute rounds. If you're looking to gain strength and endurance, this will kick your ass.
david

Postby Mary » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:16 pm

It does seem very expensive for what it is, though it looks like a good routine. But isn't this kind of thing easy enough to find on the net?
Mary

Next

Return to Martial Arts