A Martial Artist Who Hates Violence

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

A Martial Artist Who Hates Violence

Postby BrandonB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 am

I wrote a post for my blog about the seemingly contradictory fact that I dislike violence yet practice getting good at it. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

http://fitmonkeyhawaii.com/2011/07/21/a ... -violence/

BTW, each of the photos are of me sparring in one form or another, specifically BJJ, Kali, and Kickboxing.
BrandonB

Re: A Martial Artist Who Hates Violence

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 am

[quote="BrandonB"]I wrote a post for my blog about the seemingly contradictory fact that I dislike violence yet practice getting good at it. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

http://fitmonkeyhawaii.com/2011/07/21/a ... -violence/

BTW, each of the photos are of me sparring in one form or another, specifically BJJ, Kali, and Kickboxing.

Almost every club I've ever been to the people have hated violence, this seemed especially true of an aikido group. I'm not sure if you're really making a new point (and if you're not, I think that's an encouraging sign for both of us).
That said if boxing counts as a martial art then I can see why the point may need to be made.
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby blinki » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Violence is why I struggle to see boxing as a martial art. Even as a kid I always saw the point as being technically good for the sake of skill, not being able to fight- even though I do like knowing my chances are a bit better if someone were to start on me/someone around me. It's why I think a martial art needs to have some level of philosophical/moral principles behind it that it actively teaches it's students
blinki

Postby elixir » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 pm

All the traditional martial arts have in them some kind of spiritual aspect. The training is a path of self development, involving physical, spiritual and mental cultivation - the irony is that the better you get at a martial art, the less likely you are to need to use, and the less you'll want to!
elixir

Postby onyourmark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:01 pm

hey this link doesn't work anymore!
onyourmark

Return to Martial Arts