Bug problem, seeking non-lethal solution

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Bug problem, seeking non-lethal solution

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I live in Spokane and the temperature's in the 90's and low 100's.

I just looked up at my bedroom ceiling and see an alarming number of bugs clumping and congregatating on my ceiling. They're the same kind that I see crawling on my detached garage---it's an old, old house. I don't think they're termites. I've looked, and they don't have big heads and pinchers. They on the dark side and winged, and I don't know, maybe a quarter inch or half a centimer?

Does anybody have any experience with humane insect control? Non-lethal? I'm a Buddhist and I take karma doctrine and ahimsa seriously, and I just don't like to kill. I know many vegans wouldn't have a problem with insecticides, and I don't judge them for that. I just want to explore non-lethal options. I think I've seen the vacuum cleaners. Anybody tried them?

Any links that deal with the problem would be appreciated. Something as quick and easy to understand and apply as possible. Thank you.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Bug problem, seeking non-lethal solution

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 am

Vegan guy here in Scotland does remote consultations i think can certainly advise you. http://humanewildlifesolutions.co.uk/testimonials
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby israel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 am

I do suggest you check out the link --- and i try to minimize my internet use so i can do some vipasana meditation :wink: so im not sure if i would check this thread to see your reply --- but maybe you can take a picture of this bugs and post it here - so people can tell what bug it is

if its not termite and it dosnt eat walls - and it dosnt bite you - than maybe just let it be there ?

of course i do suggest checking all bug repellent options - the internet is full of how to explanations about bug repellents (if the remote counseling dosn't help)
israel

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:51 am

I did take a quick look at the link, but it looked to me like it focused on larger animals, like foxes and rabbits, and applied mainly to animals in the U.K. Maybe I'll read it more closely.

They seem to be going down just a bit. Maybe it was just a population surge. it was 108F Sunday and I've had the small upstairs air conditioner on. I'm wonder if that's been drawing them in.

I did buy a vacuum cleaner and was vacuuming them up when they were getting really thick, but I'm afraid this may have been "grinding" a lot of the up, so even that's not totally "ahimsa", even though my intention and hope is to remove them unharmed.

My two main concerns are that they may be eating the wood of my house and biting me and giving me disease. (I've seen documentaries about "sleeping bugs") I don't see any evidence they're doing any wood damage. I don't seem to be itching any more than usual. That's the only thing about any kind of bug---transmitting disease, stinging you, or making you itch, eating your wood and paper, leaving feces. Just a minute ago, my smoke alarm was beeping loudly, and I'm guessing they've gotten into that and set it off. (It's stopped now.) They seem relatively harmless. So I'm not as worried as before. I'm sort of in "wait and see" mode.

I have an old digital camera, but I'm very UN-tech-savvy and have always struggled getting it to work. I don't even know if it does any more, or whether I could even take a picture that wouldn't turn out blurry.

Maybe I'll ask around locally to see if anybody else is having a problem like this.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:50 pm

yeah ask the dude on social. Vegan guy very approchable. Even if he doesn't do a thing he might point you to the right thing
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs