in favor of gay rights while against abortion

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: in favor of gay rights while against abortion

Postby tal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 pm

[quote="aspara-gus"]Yes, I believe it should be punishable by law (for both doctor and patient).

Should a woman be punished by law if she uses contraception?

If not, then what is the difference?
tal

Postby sergio » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 am

[quote="aspara-gus"]Sergio. You have completely missed the point. I was replying to a poster who addressed the abortion issue in terms of interest and sentiency. These are the lines you should have focused on and not the general lack of similarity between having an abortion and killing your room mate.

No I haven't. I was questioning the analogy you used to answer an otherwise legit question. But never mind, it's off topic.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby ninearms » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 am

I'm pleased that this discussion hasn't devolved into name calling or ganging up on Aspara-gus who seems to be the sole person articulating an anti-abortion access point of view.

Practically, this conversation, as that with anyone who currently eats animals, is about values. Ethical and "practical" discussion rarely changes a person's point of view. Before I went vegan, no matter of logical argument or video, or pamphlet was going to change my mind, and none did. It was experiences and personal narratives and social/cultural support (rather than arguments) that led me to the moment when I went vegan. I can look back at that moment and see how that day, I made an argument for veganism that I couldn't refute, or that I had a read a book on veganism earlier... but that would be giving false credit to something that had been brewing inside me for a while, and that is ultimately based on my experiences rather than conscious decision making.

In the end, unless folks here who support abortion have a change of experience, then there's likely no chance that anyone will change their current view. The same goes for the anti-abortion side.

Keep this in mind instead of frustrations about why the other person keeps on disagreeing in spite of well reasoned and clear arguments and metaphors. To use a metaphor: Clear arguments and keen metaphors just open the door to new narratives. Experiences allow you to walk through that door.

I've nothing to add to this argument.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs