Woolwich

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Woolwich

Postby thestoatyone » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

Condolences to the man's family, must be damn near impossible to come to terms with a death this pointless.

Discussion point for here is how alarmingly quick the street-facists are on reacting to this. Is no-one else a tiny bit terrified at that?

Hell, I ain't even brown and I'm twitchy, feel for anyone trying to go about their business whilst black/asian in London for a while.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Re: Woolwich

Postby Konstantin » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

That's how I'm feeling, my first thoughts were sympathy for the yet unnamed muslims/asians who look like muslims who are going to get hassle for this - already mosques have been attacked and the attackers have not yet been identified as muslims. And of course some poor bastard has just been hacked to death. WTF.

Sometimes it seems as if we're slipping into a fictional world. Attackers try to behead a man in the street and then stand soaked in blood talking while someone films it on his phone. Surely there's enough rationality in the centre ground to accept that this comes from terrorism not islam. Please.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 pm

I have been thinking about this a lot today, so hard to put it together. Especially as the guy was a soldier, if they were in a different place it would be war rather than murder.

The implications of the event have the potential to be huge, with tension in London and talk of increase snooping laws. On the radio (I have started listening to radio 4) they interview this guy -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Timms who was attacked in 2010 in a very similar way. This is the only known similar attack, so as this guy pointed out him self. 1 attack every 3 years is probably not something we can solve by legislation and even if it could we would save more lives using those resources on road safety.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Thu May 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I am more worried that it was labeled as a terrorist attack. Saying that something is a terrorist act opens up a lot of options for both government and police/military do do pretty nasty stuff regarding peoples integrity and civil rights.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby thestoatyone » Fri May 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, both guys were know to MI5; an increase in surveillance wouldn't have done anything, but would erode everyone else's civil rights...

Calling it terrorism just gives justification to the street fascists. Calling it a vicious act by a couple of deluded idiots puts it squarely in "4 Lions" territory, albeit with tragic consequence.

Lots of folk I follow saying "Brown person/woman/gay individual stabbed to death = business as usual, white dude stabbed to death = terrorism" is a pretty sad equation.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat May 25, 2013 9:06 am

I can't help but think that the incident is to some extent the chickens coming home to roost. Britian has spent centuries invading and meddling in other parts of the world (at one point 20% of the world's population was ruled by Britian!). Bush and Blair starting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have started a long chain of events that will take years to settle down.

Having said that, I have no time at all for religious fascists. I couldn't help but feel sick at the irony of one of the Woolwich attackers whinging on about how he had to do what he did because he was tired of muslims being killed. He was of Nigerian descent. What's more it turns out his family are christian. Christians in Nigeria have experienced plenty of violence and murder at the hands of sunni extremists, but I guess he will have plenty of bullshit to justify that.

I'm quite surprised by the lack of violent response to the murder. A couple of mosque trashings in a country of 60 million people is pretty insignificant really.
Sid Delicious

Postby baldy » Tue May 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Nice article I came across today, a very British approach to the problem, which is great on so many level.

[quote]A York mosque dealt with a potentially volatile situation after reports that it was going to be the focus of a demonstration organised by a far-right street protest movement - by inviting those taking part in the protest in for tea and biscuits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/2 ... a-biscuits
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Speciell » Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 pm

<3
You simply have a sledgehammer down your pants!
Speciell

Postby veganlifter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Personally I don't understand the scale of the outcry. If you look at the atrocities the western powers have perpetrated over the last 10 years then the coverage attributed to this one incident is disproportionate. Why is this one incident plastered all over the international news and a child killed in Afghanistan attracts little coverage? Somehow we seem to have a hierarchy of life where the blood of a westerner seems to be worth more than the blood of someone else.

This sort of thing is happening everyday in Syria where fighters have even been seen ripping the hearts from dead bodies and eating them, yet we choose to arm these people. The thing that pisses me off more than anything is the hypocrisy of the whole thing.

Also they talk about the "Help the Heroes" Who the hell are the heroes? Are these the same psychopaths involved in illegal and immoral wars?
veganlifter

Postby knackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:32 am

+1 veganlifter

I was having a conversation with an ex mercenary / sas instructor / (war hero..) who was suffering post traumatic stress from the things he did in the war... funnily enough his reaction to me calling him a pawn in a war-game was a non argumentative one. These people live for the thrill of being a 'soldier' and put the reasons the war started to the back of their mind. A few ex soldiers told me bluntly that its all an adrenalin rush, and they get hooked. It makes you think of the innocent iraqi/afghan families that get taken out after a few soldiers have been sitting around playing war games on their xbox and decide they want to go out and kill someone for the thrill of it... which has happened .
The war in which they serve isn't honourable at all and it also shits me when they give them a heroes send off all over the news.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs