EU bans animal testing for cosmetics?

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

EU bans animal testing for cosmetics?

Postby Mellos » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

This article says that from march 11th all animal tested cosmetics will be banned in the EU.
Can this be for real?
http://www.buav.org/article/1184/eu-set ... cs-forever
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Re: EU bans animal testing for cosmetics?

Postby Raynak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Seems so:

Regulatory context

The Cosmetics Directive foresees a regulatory framework with the aim of phasing out animal testing. It establishes a prohibition to test finished cosmetic products and cosmetic ingredients on animals (testing ban), and a prohibition to market in the European Community, finished cosmetic products and ingredients included in cosmetic products which were tested on animals (marketing ban).

The testing ban on finished cosmetic products applies since 11 September 2004; the testing ban on ingredients or combination of ingredients applies since 11 March 2009.

The marketing ban applies since 11 March 2009 for all human health effects with the exception of repeated-dose toxicity, reproductive toxicity and toxicokinetics. For these specific health effects the marketing ban will apply step by step as soon as alternative methods are validated and adopted in EU legislation with due regard to the OECD validation process, but with a maximum cut-off date of 10 years after entry into force of the Directive, i.e., 11 March 2013, irrespective of the availability of alternative non-animal tests.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/c ... dex_en.htm

Would be great news!
Raynak

Re: EU bans animal testing for cosmetics?

Postby sergio » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

I read it this morning and I'm still slightly amazed. One step forward.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs