use of animals in films

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

use of animals in films

Postby muchluv » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 pm

So today I had arranged to go to the cinema with a friend to see Life of Pi. I had completely forgotten the relevance of the fact the film is about a tiger. So I start googling to check up on the film, and found its mostly cgi. However Animal Defenders international have apparently complained about the use of performing animals. So now I don't want to see it. However the only other option is The Hobbit, which is also under fire LOL. The production company is said to be responsible for the deaths of up to 27 animals, as no animals were harmed on set but that doesn't include where they are kept and trained. So, great. Now I can either try to back out, or go but be guilty lol.

So do you avoid watching all films with animals? Or just those with cruelty? Or not mind watching as long as your not paying towards it?

I apologise for the poor writing in this post I'm using a tablet.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Re: use of animals in films

Postby blinki » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 pm

It's not something I'm very on top of but I think it's more about spending money on watching it than watching it. So if my mate already has it on DVD then I don't care because whether or not another person watches that DVD makes no difference.

I'm fine with animals being in films if they are not suffering. Like Pudsey from Britians got Talent was in Mr Stink (the TV film on BBC over Christmas based on the David Walliam's book) and I'm pretty sure he would have had a reasonably pleasant time filming it and he's also loved and looked after well. I'd also assume the point of his life wasn't to preform but he happened showed potential so they kept training ect. Animals being bred for the sake of having them preform is a bit different. I don't think an animal like a tiger could ever be in a film in a non-cruel way because they aren't the sort of animals with a disposition towards hanging around humans.
blinki

Postby vCLaW » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:39 pm

You could check the American Humane Association website, they monitor films to see if any animals are harmed. They have reviews on their website: http://www.americanhumanefilmtv.org/reviews/
vCLaW

Postby Prime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 pm

This issue is tricky. I always feel bad for the horses in medieval battle films and movie animals in general; however, nearly all movies show people eating meat/animal products, wearing leather, etc. Is that any different? As long as people think it's ok to kill and eat animals, they will keep using them in movies.
Prime

Postby muchluv » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:45 pm

[quote="Prime"]This issue is tricky. I always feel bad for the horses in medieval battle films and movie animals in general [/qoute]

Yeh! I saw A Knight's Tale the other day with the horse falling over and I was like WTF?! Same sort of stuff happens in Clint Eastwood movies, which I also dislike, but I think it was sort of weird with A Knight's Tale being newer.

I didn't go to The Life of Pi in the end, I suggested we just go for a drink instead. Shame as it seems like it would be a really good movie.

I think this is a pertinent matter though as animals are used in so many film and television programmes, as well as what Prime mentioned about leather and meat.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby JP » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 am

not such an issue for me personally since i mainly watch romantic comedies, and sometimes there might be a cat in it.

also going to cinema is a rarity, so rare that i would be happy to take part to any call for boycott or criticism of a movie on the grounds of animal abuse.

But the meat comment is a good one, thousands of animals do get killed for the movie set catering.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Johnstuff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Yes I've always found it odd when they say at the end credits "no animals were harmed during the making of this movie". What about all the ones the cast and crew ate?

I'm not too sure what I think. I suppose it's about not paying for animals to be used as your entertainment. Perhaps a situation when illegally downloading a film is the ethical thing to do :lol:
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Postby Prime » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

[quote="Johnstuff"]Perhaps a situation when illegally downloading a film is the ethical thing to do :lol:

+1
Prime

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs