chick fil a hates gays and has record sales..

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: chick fil a hates gays and has record sales..

Postby Adena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:01 am

Goob wrote:
etherspin wrote:matter of time.. we are progressing despite hateful idiots.

I think I actually talked my parents out of their homophobia over the last year.. anyone else witnessed some fogeys coming around?

After one of my childhood friends came out as gay my father told me if he found out I was he'd probably never talk to me again, but that didn't mean he didn't love me :roll:

My mother isn't quite as bad, but she still voted to abolish civil unions in our state despite one of her best friends, a straight women, being in a civil union. The only benefit of civil unions in florida was the ability to put your partner on your insurance plan if that plan was required to follow state law instead of federal law.

I guess I haven't witnessed any "fogeys coming around," but maybe some of this stuff is a generational thing. My parents are against gay marriage but I wholeheartedly support it, much to their dismay. Not to mention I also went vegan in 2002 even though I knew they would have issues with that as well. So, at least not everyone follows in their parents' footsteps and hopefully it's just a matter of time before things change for the better. My, I'm chipper about the future.
Adena

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Adena wrote:
Goob wrote:

I think I actually talked my parents out of their homophobia over the last year.. anyone else witnessed some fogeys coming around?

After one of my childhood friends came out as gay my father told me if he found out I was he'd probably never talk to me again, but that didn't mean he didn't love me :roll:

My mother isn't quite as bad, but she still voted to abolish civil unions in our state despite one of her best friends, a straight women, being in a civil union. The only benefit of civil unions in florida was the ability to put your partner on your insurance plan if that plan was required to follow state law instead of federal law.

I guess I haven't witnessed any "fogeys coming around," but maybe some of this stuff is a generational thing. My parents are against gay marriage but I wholeheartedly support it, much to their dismay. Not to mention I also went vegan in 2002 even though I knew they would have issues with that as well. So, at least not everyone follows in their parents' footsteps and hopefully it's just a matter of time before things change for the better. My, I'm chipper about the future.

The psychologists i've talked to about this claim that there has been a quite rapid generational sea change with most of the younger generation just not thinking it's a big deal
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Adena wrote:
Goob wrote:

The psychologists i've talked to about this claim that there has been a quite rapid generational sea change with most of the younger generation just not thinking it's a big deal
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby blinki » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:The psychologists i've talked to about this claim that there has been a quite rapid generational sea change with most of the younger generation just not thinking it's a big deal

Scotland suggests that is the case. It was around 65% of people who favored equal marriage, 75% if you look at only under 55s, 78% of 18-24 year olds.
blinki

Postby ColleenE » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm

I find it so interesting that no one has replied opposing gay marriage--I would take a wild guess and say that 98% of vegans are in full support of marriage rights for all because of the generally progressive orientation of vegans and their empathy for the suffering of all beings.
ColleenE

Postby seasiren » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:13 pm

I was not surprised by his answer at all.

seasiren

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:50 pm

seasiren wrote:I was not surprised by his answer at all.

put another way: had they supported gay marriage it would be rather like Satan suddenly deciding to offer a really good health plan for his workers ;)

Go to hell for our sins, stay for the great dental coverage ;)

ColleenE wrote:I find it so interesting that no one has replied opposing gay marriage--I would take a wild guess and say that 98% of vegans are in full support of marriage rights for all because of the generally progressive orientation of vegans and their empathy for the suffering of all beings.

In general I agree but I have come across a far right vegan ha ha ha. I suppose if you go vegan for 'health reasons' it's totally consistent.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 pm

ColleenE wrote:I find it so interesting that no one has replied opposing gay marriage--I would take a wild guess and say that 98% of vegans are in full support of marriage rights for all because of the generally progressive orientation of vegans and their empathy for the suffering of all beings.

I actually don't care either way about gay marriage. I think the general idea of 'marriage' is dead and broken and in 100 years people will all be asking why we bothered to have such a silly institution in the first place. If you love someone, you can commit yourself to them. If you stop loving them, your commitment will waver. A piece of paper and a ring of valuable metal won't change a thing.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby ninearms » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote: If you love someone, you can commit yourself to them. If you stop loving them, your commitment will waver. A piece of paper and a ring of valuable metal won't change a thing.

Incorrect. Amongst other things it is that "piece of paper" which can protect one party being screwed over by the other when that commitment wavers It also helps step parents retain custody of their step children when their spouse dies, and makes dealing with the deceased's estate a whole lot easier. Such benefits should be enjoyed by all, not just heterosexuals.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Goob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 pm

seasiren wrote:I was not surprised by his answer at all.

I already knew his views on homosexuality, he's donated millions to anti-gay causes over the years, so anyone that wanted to know could have easily found out from google. I'm upset that so many people that aren't affected either way felt so strongly on the issue that they went out of their way to support him on "chick fil a appreciation day." People waited in line for hours to buy that shit.

It's the overwhelming show of stupidity that pisses me off, because those are the people that will vote in the elections this november and they will vote based on race and stance on gay marriage without ever learning about any of the actual issues.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby ColleenE » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 pm

[/quote]

In general I agree but I have come across a far right vegan ha ha ha. I suppose if you go vegan for 'health reasons' it's totally consistent.[/quote]

Wow! I guess i can't imagine someone on the far right identifying as vegan, even if they do not eat meat or cheese for health reasons. I mean, they still need to hunt, right? And wear leather?:)
ColleenE

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 am

ninearms wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote: If you love someone, you can commit yourself to them. If you stop loving them, your commitment will waver. A piece of paper and a ring of valuable metal won't change a thing.

Incorrect. Amongst other things it is that "piece of paper" which can protect one party being screwed over by the other when that commitment wavers It also helps step parents retain custody of their step children when their spouse dies, and makes dealing with the deceased's estate a whole lot easier. Such benefits should be enjoyed by all, not just heterosexuals.

This is exactly my point. Economics should never be tied to relationships. Ideally, in 100 years no one will bother to get married and all the bull**** legal crap that goes with modern marriage can go away. The government shouldn't be able to say two craps about who I am married to and where my money goes, etc., etc.

Also, the government shouldn't have to protect your money because you decided to marry an idiot. And custody should go to whichever responsible adult had been providing the most for the children in the first place. But those are both separate debates.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

The reason the state gets involved in marriage is because strong families are the bedrock for a functional society.
It is certainly possible to rearrange society around other intimate social groupings.
As someone who wasn't a US citizen living in the USA until relatively recently, being married conferred a sense of legal security that my ever changing legal status could be buffeted with. It isn't that I need the state to confer value to my relationship; but rather that the state is messed up and I need a way to live within the patchwork of public policy and laws that otherwise would make my life, and that of my family and wife, all the more difficult.

Perhaps after the revolution marriage as a legal construct will be moot. But until then, I fully support gay marriage as a way to confer legal status to what should always have been there.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm

ColleenE wrote:
In general I agree but I have come across a far right vegan ha ha ha. I suppose if you go vegan for 'health reasons' it's totally consistent.

Wow! I guess i can't imagine someone on the far right identifying as vegan, even if they do not eat meat or cheese for health reasons. I mean, they still need to hunt, right? And wear leather?:)

I've met a number of Republican vegans both in person and many more (further right as well) on the internet. Matthew Scully, a former Regan speech writer ( I believe ) also wrote a book on AR philosophy. In the United States, at least, people with liberal political views are more likely to go vegan. However, the overt and implied beliefs of Republicans and right wing Christians don't exclude caring about animals.

There is a sect of Christianity in the US called "Seventh Day Adventists" who have traditionally been vegetarian and politically conservative.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Previous

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs