The Banking System- The Money Masters Documentary-seen it??

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

The Banking System- The Money Masters Documentary-seen it??

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Re: The Banking System- The Money Masters Documentary-seen i

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:50 am

Without a successful example of full-reserve banking ever being put into place, I think a more certain solution would be to regulate the banking industry and clean up the tax loopholes. I don't know much about the tax system over there in Europe, but here in the US it's been shot to hell....
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Sorry, but no YouTube zeitgeist movies for me. :)

Wiki, however, has this to say:

"There are currently no examples of full reserve banking with an established history of operation. However, a variety of organizations aspire to provide full-reserve banking or claim to do so."

If you can provide a good link to information about a full-reserve banking system, and not something from a scare video, then I will definitely take a look at it. :)
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:Without a successful example of full-reserve banking ever being put into place, I think a more certain solution would be to regulate the banking industry and clean up the tax loopholes. I don't know much about the tax system over there in Europe, but here in the US it's been shot to hell....

It's pretty fucked in the UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/nov/2 ... ouncil-tax

That's a tax bill I pay. Don't see why they should skive it because they have better accountants...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Guernsey (and Jersey too) both create their own money, but this is only one component of a full reserve banking system. But perhaps I am making the wrong argument here. I am not saying that full reserve banking CAN'T work, I am saying that it WON'T work to solve our current issues.

Actually Steven Horwitz has a good chapter on the topic, which I have linked to below. As he discusses, since full-reserve banking combined with commodity money means that during periods of high demand for money, the prices of other goods must fall, the broader real economy may require adjustment costs that are no different from those it would require during periods of moderate inflation. Full reserve banking won't solve the monetary policy issues we have today, it will just create a different path for the super rich to stay super rich. We need to fix the tax system to really solve the problems surrounding our monetary policies.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z0hCJRTx6JAC&pg=PA255&dq=steven+horwitz++banking&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uP4eT-HROobs2AXQwoGDDw&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=steven%20horwitz%20%20banking&f=false
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 pm

RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:....Do you even understand the mathematical equation involved in regard to economics ,the lending ratios involved in Fractional or Full reserve lending?....

....Are you going to answer the question I posed to you Fallen Horse in regard to the ratio lending systems that apply to each system or just avoid that most important point?....

I had university courses in macro, micro, and energy economics. So yes, I do understand the equations behind fractional reserve lending, although without you mentioning something more specific, I don't have any thoughts on the matter.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

The first 30 seconds superimposes pictures of presidents with tanks and the Nazi symbol. This documentary isn't worth ANYONE'S 3.5 hours of life. Now, if you would like to present an article, or paper, or educated debate among scholars, then I will definitely look at it. But I refuse to spend any more of my life watching videos like that. So I suppose our argument is probably over.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby JP » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:The first 30 seconds superimposes pictures of presidents with tanks and the Nazi symbol. This documentary isn't worth ANYONE'S 3.5 hours of life. Now, if you would like to present an article, or paper, or educated debate among scholars, then I will definitely look at it. But I refuse to spend any more of my life watching videos like that.

i agree...

as a far leftist into popular economics, been struggling to find good sources of balanced views on macro economics - too much of it is polluted by crazy rants.

i did like this book tho:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enigma-Capital- ... 1846683084
JP
Site Admin

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:57 am

RBE.VeganZeitgeist

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs