Would I be classed as vegan

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Would I be classed as vegan

Postby roper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 am

I'm not keen on labeling myself but don't really want to offend other people by posting on a vegan site if I'm veggie.
I often get asked about my dietary requirements but am not sure what would best describe my habits. I have been on other vegan sites and felt I was probably more strict veggie rather than vegan. Hopefully more experienced members could help.

for the last 3 months I haven't eaten meat, fish or dairy products. I don't buy products I know have leather or glues from animals in them. I occasionally eat honey. I am involved in animal conservation but also breed some scorpions and spiders ( I love bugs). I have a rescue dog and three rescue cats, they eat meat. My son and wife are veggie and I prepare food for them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
roper

Re: Would I be classed as vegan

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

The term "vegan" is a political term as well as a simple description.

The simple description is a strict vegetarian (no animals or dairy in diet) who also abstains from wearing or using animal products in cosmetics and fashion and home. I think that veganism also includes abstaining from honey, but that's up for debate in some circles, since veganism is also a political term... political in the sense that the private values are made public (thus political).

What you feed your family or your animal friends is not really usually considered part of veganism, but there's no consensus there. You do not have to be involved in animal conservation to be vegan, but breeding animals tends not to be so "vegan"... but that usually applies to breeding animals for profit rather than conservation.

I think that the term vegan is a term that is self-taken, rather than given. You have to "claim" veganism, and as long as you fit the basic strict vegetarianism thing and also avoid animal products in clothing and home as much as possible (there is often a long transition for folks until they replace their leather shoes with vegan wares, for example), then the term can be aptly claimed.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am

Strictly speaking, you're not vegan because of the honey.
However, it seems quite common to hear someone say "I couldn't become vegan because I couldn't give up x" as justification for making no attempt at all.
I'm not saying you'd do that, but some people get too hung up on the word and the mindset that says "I eat honey, therefore I'm not vegan, therefore I can eat eggs and milk etc."

I'd say it's better for one person to become 90% vegan than for 100 people to try it, then give up completely because they can't do it 100%.

I wouldn't like to see someone dissuaded from posting here for not being fully vegan when they are very close and making a serious attempt.
After all, you're more likely to make the final few steps if you're mixing with vegans.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Gastroplodder » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am

I don't think you can be a vegan while deliberately consuming honey. The UK Vegan Society certainly say vegan's don't eat honey. I don't agree that this is debatable, a definition is a definition, you start playing about with it and you end up with people claiming to be vegetarian while eating fish.

This doesn't imply you don't have a dedication to animal welfare just as admirable as that of many vegans though. Why not just stop eating honey then you can have the vegan label to go with your obvious commitment?

Nik
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:59 am

The vegan eats no honey thing must be more prevalent in the US. Our family never eats honey, and I haven't eaten honey since I went vegan in '94... but there's A LOT of people who claim to be vegan that I've met that eat honey. My wife and kids are some of the few "vegans" that we've met in our area that avoid honey in all cases.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby roper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.
If it's the honey, I can't see it as too much of a problem. I only consume it when making energy bars but have been turning to use dates instead. They get less sticky in heat and keep their shape better.
I think I am going through and transitional period. Since looking into veganism and trying it for three months I've noticed how using animal products in day-to-day actions is so accepted and seen as normal. This has been quite a shock. Because of that I have been looking inwards at my own actions, thoughts and behaviour with regards to food and products. It has been a good lesson and I feel much healthier for it too.
I can see why some people feel so passionately about which is why I thought I should check here first.
roper

Postby JS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I guess the label is there as a guide and gives boundaries so folk understand. It's hard as I know when I was veggie I was sick of being given fish as an option to eat as apparently veggies eat fish! Hence the big campaign "fishconceptions" or something like that by the vegsoc here in UK. I would say no you aren't vegan if you take honey as that's an animal product and if you read more about the bee industry I think you can see why vegans choose to opt out of using it. I think all vegans try to lead a life as best they can without the use of any animal product.

Believe me the time and time again there is discussions about eggs for example from rescue hens.

It sounds like you have taken a big leap on removing animals products from your diet and if I had to label you I'd call you a strict veggie too although I think on some airlines that equates to vegan!? There's a lot of confusion out there and I use the vegan society description of a vegan to lead my life by :)

Welcome to the board :)
JS

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I think that honey is quite easy to avoid... and that it *should* be avoided. It is hardest to avoid in "healthy" processed snacks sold in co-ops and supermarkets. There is no need.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Hopefully you are not breeding scorpions WITH spiders? :D
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby bob_summers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Welcome to the forum Roper, think I've seen your spider posts on a popular MTB magazine forum ;-)

As Rodolfo says, I find that in Spain, honey can cause more of a problem in terms of finding it in everything. IME store-bought muesli and energy bars that contain it are less common in the UK. In Spain, at least where I am, you really have to hunt for muesli without it.

Try swapping it for Agave syrup, better for you, they say...
Or this recipe for DIY energy bars (I can't be arsed and buy in Clifs from CRC!)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=589&p=76285&hilit=rune#p76285
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby roper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 am

apparently veggies eat fish

I was served black pudding last week as a veggie option :D
I can't see not eating honey being a problem. I thought cheese would be but I'd rather not be involved with anything diary, so it's not a problem at all.

Welcome to the forum Roper, think I've seen your spider posts on a popular MTB magazine forum

Thanks bob. yes that might be me :D
It was posts on that site which lead me here.
There is honey in lots of food in Spain. I do sometimes have the option of a Morrison's, in Gibraltar. I have a wiggle order ready so might try some cliff bars.
roper

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 am

Hey, Roper, I didn't make the connection until Bob mentioned it.
If you hadn't already worked it out, I'm MidlandTrailquestsGraham on STW forum. Image
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby roper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello Graham,

I did wonder but wasn't sure. Are there more STWs here? Seems like quite a civilized place :D
Thanks for the post too, very helpful.

I hope to see you arround

roper
roper

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

LittleGirlBunny's here as DownhillingDemon. No others that I know of.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Goob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 pm

It doesn't really matter if you are vegan or not, this is surely the place for you. Hopefully this forum will lead you towards veganism and help to assure you that it is possible to excel in athletics on a plant based diet. Welcome to the forum, even if you are one of those biking folks :roll: :lol:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Next

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs