London Riots

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

London Riots

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Sounds pretty heavy out there, lots of partisan blog fallout already too. Anyone got anything?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Re: London Riots

Postby Talyn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Happened just a few miles from where I live, so it's a little surreal & scary.

Don't know much of the details, but I doubt the vandalism & looting will do much for the original cause.

Edited to add: it seems just about every news source wants to turn it into a race issue though, like Tottenham is the only area with ethnic diversity?
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby ninearms » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I'll say one thing, nothing reinforces stereotypes like looting from JD Sports. Nice work Poindexter.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Talyn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Allegedly it started due to police beating a 16 y/o girl.

Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby veganlifter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:00 pm

The thing that really pisses me off about all of this is when the police use animals for crowd control. I just saw some videos of the police aimlessly charging at crowds with horses and trying to intimidate people with dogs. I see all sorts of vegan campaigns e.g. vivisection, anti hunt etc however I have never seen a campaign against the use of animals in the police force / army – don’t people feel very strongly about this? In many ways I think we are stuck in medieval times when I see things like this.

The poor horses looked terrified when there were fireworks being set off etc. I think to use an animal in this way is pure cowardice. If I was ever engaged in a violent dispute I would never expect an animal to do my fighting for me.

Also as much as I hate to say it I really can’t blame people defending themselves against a police horse or a dog. The simple thing is these animals should not be put in these situations.
veganlifter

Postby baldy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 am

Still going on and looks like it might kick off again tonight. Anyone got any theories about what is really going on?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 am

baldy wrote:Still going on and looks like it might kick off again tonight. Anyone got any theories about what is really going on?

It's gone beyond reason now.

Bit scary last night. Walked down Bethnal Green Road from my gym to the tube station at around 6,30pm. Probably around 200 kids in groupds of 5-6 at street corners, all the shops shuttered & closed, felt rather unsafe. Found out later that it kicked off there not long after and both train stations were closed due to fires.

And then Hackney... watching the reporting from Mare St/Clarence Road and I'm like 'I used to live right near there'. Freaky. I think our trip to Pogo is off, if it's still even there, as it's right next to Pembury estate where it kicked off.

Cancelled my plans for going out tonight, probably best to stay at home.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby veganlifter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 am

Anyone got any theories about what is really going on?

I think the main problem starts at home with the families. From what I hear from friends in London most of those rioting are very young so it really begs the question why aren’t the parents controlling their kids? When I was 14 / 15 I was never allowed to roam the streets at 2am. I think parents need to instil some sort of discipline within the home.

Secondly I feel there are underlying tones of hatred towards the police from many youth due to the harassment they have experienced through stop and search etc. As a result they seem to resent all authority and this anger has boiled over. This is no way condones the actions of looting, attacked on people etc however you can understand how these things boil over.
veganlifter

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 am

From afar, this reminds of the 1967 Detroit Rebellion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

Is this similar?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

its a mixture by the looks of it.

some of it legitimate anger, but without political background goes aimless quite fast - contrast this with greece where passer by do not have to feel unsafe, or fire crews can do their work without harrasment during a riot.

but largely it seems to be like dianne abbott said "recreational looting" - all those products that are advertsed to us all the time now are there for the taking. And its fun - for sure!
JP
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:37 pm

damn. i can't believe it's still going on. been following this crazy situation. be safe, London VFers!
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm

vegan hal wrote:damn. i can't believe it's still going on. been following this crazy situation. be safe, London VFers!

From the vibe here in the office and my friends I have spoken to they are expecting it to continue tonight. Everyone is prepared though, so should be safe.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Kicking off here now too...
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby veganlifter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Five police dogs have also been injured in various attacks. One was seriously injured when hit on the head with a brick. One dog had its teeth broken out by an object thrown at it. The remaining dogs were injured by bottles and other items hurled in their direction. Scotland Yard said mounted police and their horses, though both are very exhausted, have so far not been injured in the riots.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110809/165652205.html

They should put the dogs away. ANIMALS ARE NOT WEAPONS. I am incensed that police have to resort to medieval tactics in this day and age. Fucking disgrace.
veganlifter

Postby JP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Catt Queen wrote:Kicking off here now too...

here too...

must be thousands of people involved if the number of arrested by this morning was at 560+ already!
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs