Vote against the tories on 6th May

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Vote against the tories on 6th May

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm

My constituency got a new Tory MP, btw.

The good news is that the UKIP did craply and the Greens did pretty well.
Hiking Fox

Postby firejuggler » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm

I am in the Frome and Somerton area we have been Lib Dem controlled for years and still are today, but I am worried about this right wing majority from the Conservative Party, being a anti hunt campaigner and hunt sab we will have our work cut out if they put the hunting bill up for review..... :cry: they are a pro blood sport party.
firejuggler

Postby Big Good Wolf » Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Do you really think that anyone who voted tory is going to admit it on this forum ? :?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby firejuggler » Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]Do you really think that anyone who voted tory is going to admit it on this forum ? :?[/quote]

I would be surprised if they did the most un-vegan party ever, Brighton have a Green Party member in which is good news for those guys.
firejuggler

Postby longdogs » Fri May 07, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm absolutely depressed at the increasingly likely prospect of a Tory government... i did a nightshift last night and watched the whole thing unfold on the internet feed.. i think i'm overwrought and may need the smelling salts :shock: . I'm happy Caroline Lucas got Brighton though.. the TV commentators keep on about Cameron making overtures to the few 'other' seats to form a majority. Maybe politics doesn't work this way but i'm consoling myself with the idea that she will tell him to stick his offer somewhere that the sun never shines!

My constituency- increased Tory majority. UKIP got 3 times as many votes as greens... maybe i should move- in my village people take their kids 800m to school in 4x4s :x
longdogs

Postby mabli » Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm

We got a tory :evil:
mabli

Postby The Duke » Fri May 07, 2010 4:54 pm

mabli wrote:We got a bigoted, elitist, lying, fascist bastard:

fixed.

edit ... sorry, forgot "selfish".
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Gelert » Fri May 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
The Duke wrote:How soon people forget.
Fucking idiots.

My questions for anyone (not that I expect there are many on here) who voted Tory are:

1. Do you have private healthcare?
2. Are you too young to remember the 1980s?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then ...why?

Why would you not expect there to be many Tories on here?

It's a secret ballot, so why should anyone fess up?

Anyway I'm happy to say in all seriousness I did not (and could not, probably ever) vote Conservative, but I can see two answers to the questions posed

1. The NHS is bloated and smothered with kindness by the Labour Party in a kind of ideological Munchusen's by proxy committed against Nye Bevan's baby. It has given it money, but what has it been spent on? More managers. £12 billion on a fucking computer system that doesn't work. 30,000 less beds since 1997. Etc. Personally I don't think Labour has done much less to fuck it up than the Conservatives did. In some ways more. It could have revolutionized it by the single act of getting on the blower to the BMA to either pack up their shit about capping the number of medical students trained to inflate doctors' pay or expect a visit from the SAS in half an hour to cap them. I suppose Tony Blair might have been able to achieve that in nicer words, although Gordon might not have had a phone left to call with. Anyway he only bullies his office juniors.

2. Counter-question: To anyone who voted Labour, are you too young to remember the 1970s? I say that not to belittle the point you make, Hiking Fox, as it's a very valid one. But I think it might capture the problem with British politics in that it lurches from left to right (or more recently, red and blue conservatives) and much of each lurch is spent undoing the excesses and failings of the previous one. I think that the recent "Clegg effect" has amounted even less in substance than I suggested in my earlier post goes to show that not much will change. Time will tell with regard to any coalition. Thing with democracy is that one often gets the government one deserves.

I suspect the bottom line is that many voted not for the Tories but against Labour. Here's a short list why that might be.

It's by the Tories so do take it with due caution but it does largely check out under scrutiny.

http://www.conservatives.com/pdf/Labour ... liures.pdf

Although it could be to do with just one reason - to get rid of that that unelected, incompetent, incontinent bully. I'm surprised the man can spell courage in his illegible felt-tip pen scribble let alone write a fucking book on it. About the only thing he could do with an ounce of courage now is ask the nice Constable stood outside the Führerbunker to borrow his Glock in lieu of a mess Webley. Maybe that's why the duty rumour goes he was sedated this morning?
Gelert

Postby JP » Fri May 07, 2010 6:29 pm

it is funny though, among my work mates and training partners (those who voiced their opinion) i didnt come across anyone who voted tory - in fact, seems like the hatred for them is nicely universal!

It will be interesting to see some breakdowns based on things like age how tories support is among young people - seems like it is way down from what it was just a few years back.

Another interesting factor in these elections has been demolition of BNP in local council elections - has a corner been turned in this issue?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Tory here now too :(
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Gelert » Fri May 07, 2010 7:22 pm

http://www.b3ta.com/links/Cameron_Speech_Cut_Up

Troof.

JP wrote:Another interesting factor in these elections has been demolition of BNP in local council elections - has a corner been turned in this issue?

I hope so, but there are still 563,743 people in the UK who voted for them in the general election though, a raise of 1.2%.
Gelert

Postby Rochellita » Fri May 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Konstantin wrote:Some good news from last night. First Green MP. Also, former ALF activist Keith Mann stood against

Like JP I think it's sad Evan Harris lost his seat and aside from the animal rights issue I agree with nothing Keith is campaigning for, he wouldn't have gotten my vote.

I couldn't vote in the general election because I'm not British but I chose a local Green in the council election, who also happens to be vegan. It's really weird not having any say in a country I've lived, worked and paid taxes in for a decade.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby emm7 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Am glued to radio 4 lately following all the latest gossip about the political "discussions in smoke filled rooms?"
Think it was Vince Cable who likened the current situation to "perfect snooker"?
Wondered what kind of outcome you would like to see.
As a Lib Dem voter I personally would feel very betrayed if we got a Tory + Lib Dem government.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby longdogs » Mon May 10, 2010 12:36 pm

I'd like to see the Green MP appointed as Prime Minister with a properly democratic all-party coalition governing on a case-by-case basis :wink: . If the upper class elitist males like Cameron et al are really well behaved, they can have a job watering pot plants in Whitehall.
longdogs

Postby Gelert » Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

emm7 wrote:As a Lib Dem voter I personally would feel very betrayed if we got a Tory + Lib Dem government.

I would feel the same in your shoes too. But considering the expected surge from the "Clegg Effect" translated into no gains but actually losing 5 seats (OK, four if we exclude Lemsip Obit, which is probably nothing to do with his policies and everything to do various things slightly libellous to repeat) it's probably the best opportunity the Lib Dems ever had and are likely to get (under the present system at least) to effect their policies.

If the upper class elitist males like Cameron et al are really well behaved, they can have a job watering pot plants in Whitehall.

Not sure that's a good idea. They'd just privatise it off to the little man from the village and then make him buy water from their moats to fill his watering can.

What would you do with working/middle class females though? Like Thatcher?
Gelert

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs