How many of you believe or do not believe in God?

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby xJimx » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Turns out I was wrong. Conclusive proof has been discovered in Wales:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8071865.stm

DYEL
xJimx

Postby helmut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

you're right! there is a god! and it's frank zappa!!!

*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Gelert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm

xJimx wrote:Turns out I was wrong. Conclusive proof has been discovered in Wales:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8071865.stm

It's always been said that this is God's country.
Gelert

Re: Poll

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:04 pm

VeganLu wrote:I set up a Poll about the above posting I made, but I guess I did it wrong. What else is new?

I hope I don't get kicked out of the forum for starting this new topic?

Vegan atheist here.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Gelert wrote:It's always been said that this is God's country.

I'm assuming you mean America? :D
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Gelert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Gelert wrote:It's always been said that this is God's country.

I'm assuming you mean America? :D

:D

Assumption is the bruvver of all fvckups.
Gelert

Re: Poll

Postby Beck Bristow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 am

Andrewc wrote:That brings me to another issue. What's up with monotheists who staunchly defend their God yet find it acceptable to laugh off indigenous and polytheistic religions without a second thought? Pot-Kettle-Black.

I've never understood that, either. Just like I've never been able to grasp the mindset of the legions of vegans who proudly bash Christianity, yet they tiptoe around every other religion as if nothing else is quite so bad to them. They'll gladly mock the image of Jesus [held quite sacred by devout Christians, who are not all bad people], but I don't see any pictures of Mohammed playing tonsil hockey with a pig to go along with it. Or Kali using all available arms to wank Ganesh. Or whatever you have, there's plenty of potential to be fair if one wants to criticize religion evenly. I know, I know, in this day it's 'hip' to be anti-Christian, but if you're going to be that way, at least have the stones to bash EVERY religion if you're proud of your atheism. Anything less is silly - all or nothing, otherwise it's one big mega-fail.

And I am agnostic also. Nothing has ever been proven, and conversely, nothing has been disproven, so I remain open to the fact that we're all in the dark about how we really got here. To me, the rantings of athiests who claim that they're somehow more intelligent [or less gullible] because they "know" there's no god doesn't impress me. That's just mental masturbation to create an aire of self-superiority as far as I'm concerned. No offense intended to those who feel that way - I just don't believe it creates such an awakening to choose to ignore everything that doesn't fit with your ideology. Everyone's entitled to their beliefs, but as soon as the yap opens to tell me that my feelings of not really knowing the answer make me any less sensible, and your argument is done for as far as I'm concerned. I also don't particularly care for it when someone claims their god is the only one and the rest of us are sinners bound for hellfire and damnation. I'm equal-opportunity for thinking that both ends of the spectrum have some things to learn about being open-minded to that which doesn't have an obvious answer.

We could always get into the discussion where people also think that you need a particularly political affiliation to be vegan. There are FAR too many vegans in the USA who think that a conservative mindset cannot work within veganism, which is laughable at best. I'm sure other countries have the same issues as well, but it's particularly bad over here. I've even heard some vegans proclaim 'I don't believe that there could be such a thing as a Republican vegan, and if there is, I wouldn't want to know them.' Such a great attitude to have, immediately relegating someone to less-than-respectable status because of opposing political views, eh?

There's no single type of vegan. We come in all races, religions, sizes and shapes. That's what's so fucking wonderful about it, the fact that we should ALL be coming together for the greater good of the animals while putting petty differences aside. The day that we start believing we need to fit a mold to be a 'real vegan' is the day I never call myself one again out of pure shame for the movement.
Beck Bristow

Re: How many of you believe or do not believe in God?

Postby Andrewc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:50 am

Due to the proverbial shit storm I created above (actually picture it), I've split the topic which can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20809
Andrewc

Postby Pro Radii » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I do not believe in god. I'm not a zealot atheist and I don't like to argue about the existance of an imaginary bearded man in the sky, mostly because I do not care. I don't know what that makes me.
Pro Radii

Postby BlueRose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm

I know of vegans who are hardcore Christians, Jews, pagans, Muslims...all stripes. Never one type more than another.

I'm pagan myself. :)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Postby Bounce » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:27 pm

I was raised a Christian by two ex-Mormons, left the Presbytarian church at seventeen having served as head chorristor and then flirted with Paganism. In my early twenties, my mother introduced me to Buddhism, which I also loved learning bits of. I think that Buddha's teachings (or what I know of them) are great, real good psychology...

I went to a Unitarian church in Brixton a few weeks ago and was going to go back today, though unfortunately it was a rare occasion where I overslept. :oops:

So right now I'd say I do believe in God... But God as a force of nature, as a beam of light shining through a prism and creating a rainbow of different forms for inspiration, not as a white guy sat on a cloud caressing his beard and damning the gayers/non believers/shellfish eaters to hell.
Bounce

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Bounce wrote:I was raised a Christian by two ex-Mormons, left the Presbytarian church at seventeen having served as head chorristor and then flirted with Paganism. In my early twenties, my mother introduced me to Buddhism, which I also loved learning bits of. I think that Buddha's teachings (or what I know of them) are great, real good psychology...

I went to a Unitarian church in Brixton a few weeks ago and was going to go back today, though unfortunately it was a rare occasion where I overslept. :oops:

So right now I'd say I do believe in God... But God as a force of nature, as a beam of light shining through a prism and creating a rainbow of different forms for inspiration, not as a white guy sat on a cloud caressing his beard and damning the gayers/non believers/shellfish eaters to hell.

So not as an actual consciousness, but the way in which light works, gravity works, the laws of physics are, God?
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Bounce » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Asleep on a sunbeam wrote:
Bounce wrote:I was raised a Christian by two ex-Mormons, left the Presbytarian church at seventeen having served as head chorristor and then flirted with Paganism. In my early twenties, my mother introduced me to Buddhism, which I also loved learning bits of. I think that Buddha's teachings (or what I know of them) are great, real good psychology...

So not as an actual consciousness, but the way in which light works, gravity works, the laws of physics are, God?

I meant it more metaphorically... The beam of light is 'God', but the spectrum of colour is how different people experience it.
Bounce

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 am

Bounce wrote:

I meant it more metaphorically... The beam of light is 'God', but the spectrum of colour is how different people experience it.

I'm not so sure that's a good metaphor, but you might correct me here.
There are many different people in life who hold opposing views about God.
Some say there are many Gods.
Some say there's just 1 God.
Some people say God is all loving.
Some people say there's a hell.
Not everybody's belief in God can be true.
On the other hand with light through a prism there aren't those same contradictions, are there?
BOOYAH!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Konstantin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am

+1
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs