Cars and leather

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Cars and leather

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"][quote="Big Good Wolf"]If it's just the steering wheel that's a problem, there are aftermarket options available.
You might have to go for the vintage wooden rim look, although, somebody must be making non leather normal looking ones.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... ing-wheels

Thanks BGW! This helps a bit because I don't really know much about steering wheels or aftermarket stuff. When I looked stuff up, I was looking in the wrong places. Now I know that I should look for something aluminum or wood.

This is a world I knew nothing about... and now I know a bit more. Thanks.

[quote="Lordmuppet"]I was wondering about this too but you said you'd looked into aftermarket stuff. Presumably they'd have no objection to taking the steering wheel off and then you could attach a new one on it or get a mechanic too. Since they've all been leather since 1997 though it might be hard to find one that fits :(

I did look into aftermarket online... and I found nothing. It may be because I don't know the subject well. It's not just a simple replacement of the steering wheel. The whole thing is a complex electronic machine, and the buttons and knobs and controls need to switched out too.

Frankly, thats the thing I know least about. I'm sure someone whose got half a gear-head can actually switch the steering wheel. Besides basic questions on switching steering wheels, I don't know how to look for this.

I'm specifically looking at the 2013 (or 2012) Ford Focus Hybrid or the 2013 Ford C-Max. Those things are complex electronics and nowhere does it show how to do a replacement, or that its even possible.

Help?

you've seen the youtube video about removing wheels right?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Cars and leather

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:13 pm

update to say that I ended up getting a second hand Fiat Panda Eleganza 2006/7 for £3000 No leather and a damn nice car! :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Previous

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs