Intelligence Squared Debate - Should Animals be off the Menu

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Intelligence Squared Debate - Should Animals be off the Menu

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 am

http://wheelercentre.com/videos/video/intelligence-squared-animals-should-be-off-the-menu/

Debate held recently in Melbourne including speakers Peter Singer and my personal friend and hero Phil Wollen

Enjoy!
NatB

Re: Intelligence Squared Debate - Should Animals be off the

Postby knackers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for posting, this was hilarious...

- does the lady on the right honestly beleive that all bacteria and soil rely on the farming of a few species? what a joke.. it was good to see her shut down by an audience member who questioned her referred study... she had no idea.

- the dr in the middle, native bison and indians being helped by farming of animals??! WTF. Again it was good to see him shut down by a very recognisable sea shepherd audience member, good work peter.

- And as for the egocentric idiot on the right.. noone cares about your family history mate!!

Great effort by all of the for speakers on the left, Phil spoke with a very fiery passion which was fantastic. Veronica and peter singer gave very good facts and spoke well.

Epic Win for all vegans and animals.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby NatB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:07 pm

It was indeed! The carnivores were so misinformed! I have had some (not so intelligent) friends get angry that all the rain forests are being destroyed to grow soy beans to feed vegans. You think a PHD would know this is to feed cattle though! And the claim that eating endangered species helps their populations! please! I think the entire audience were more intelligent than the panel on the right. They thought they could bluff them with bad science!

If you arent already aware you can find more info on Phils philanthropic work here
http://www.kindnesstrust.com/

:)
NatB

Postby Goob » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm

The woman for the no meat side really should have picked vegan dishes as examples. That is the main reason I don't like animal rights organizations. They are always trying to appeal to a wider audience by watering down the message. Nonsense like that really hurts the argument and I knew she was going to be called out for it.

It's obvious the pro meat side was not prepared. I wouldn't expect them to be though, because it would require them to have actually thought about the issue, and normal people can't do that and still defend the animal industry afterwards. It seemed that they only had bits and pieces of ad campaigns and biodiversity, biodiversity, mumble mumble, biodiversity, what about plants and bacteria, did I mention biodiversity, and how are we going to keep eating animals if we stop eating them?

The woman was just rambling every time she was meant to speak, the guy in the middle had a pretty solid anti dairy argument I thought then he lost the plot, and the chef guy shouldn't have been there. He didn't even bring made up facts and incomplete studies to the discussion. His only point was that he thinks it's just fine, so it's okay.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby aspara-gus » Fri May 18, 2012 7:12 am

The against side really needs to put up some more competent speakers. As a debate is concerned, this was a slaughter. Both guys on the for side were great, especially the passionate guy in the middle. The only blemish was the lady on the left who shouldn't have included dairy items in the recipes she promoted. Using lack of time as an excuse was pretty lame. The clown of the day was the cook guy on the right.
aspara-gus

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs