Manchester vegan fair - how it went?

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Pete » Sat May 08, 2004 5:23 pm

So how did the Manchester festival go :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
I claim all photos for the VBB site, send them to me really quick, so I can see how it went.

Joni, did Martin inspire you to crush a #3 :?:
Billy, did you take more cake as well as doggy biccies :?: (did anyone prefer the doggy biccies :lol: hee hee)
Was neil still smiling after all the stress of organising :?:
Did mary get into a fight :lol:

Oh, the list goes on & on.

Oh yea, that reminds me I need a write up to go with the pics, volunteers :?: :?: :?:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby prenna » Sat May 08, 2004 5:39 pm

[quote="Pete"]So how did the Manchester festival go :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
I claim all photos for the VBB site, send them to me really quick, so I can see how it went.

Joni, did Martin inspire you to crush a #3 :?:
Billy, did you take more cake as well as doggy biccies :?: (did anyone prefer the doggy biccies :lol: hee hee)
Was neil still smiling after all the stress of organising :?:

Oh, the list goes on & on.

Oh yea, that reminds me I need a write up to go with the pics, volunteers :?: :?: :?:

Well, I've just got back from the event and it went great. The place was packed and I got to see some old friends and make some new ones. There was a lot of interest in the vegan fitness stall so hopefully we should get some more members here. I think it was a very well-run event that has no doubt done a lot to promote veganism.

Congratulations to all the organisors of the event! You should all be really proud of yourselves!

oh and Pete, yes there were pictures :)
prenna

vegan festival

Postby Rak » Sat May 08, 2004 6:07 pm

first vegan festival i've been to (vegan for last 3 months), would like to see photos from it as i had to leave at 1pm. looking forward to the next one to see if i can close any of the grippers.
Rak

Postby JP » Sun May 09, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi Rak - great that you joined up, hope you'll find this board useful mate!

The festival went great, there were around 2000 visitors, quite a few non-vegans which was great as well.

The stall was busy, at one point we were superbusy especially when Martin started bending nails and bolts. Two other people managed to bend 6 inch nails as well, one guy who has worked at a farm his whole life and one vegan guy who was just purely natural in grip strength! (hope he will be joining to the board as well!). Personally i managed to only make a dent to them :)

We had vegans and veggies from all sports/interest backgrounds visiting, martail artists, cyclists, runners, bodybuilders/weightlifters, swimmers etc etc.

Hmmm... let see if i can list all people from the board who were there (sorry if i missed anyone!): billy, k, littlegirlbunny (and the mysterious veganbiker :) ), oak, mary, prenna, realfoodneil, rochelle. And of course any new members who joined up now :) Good to meet you all!

We have some pictures and videos as well, will put the up later - watch this space.

(just returned from the gym with oak, rochelle and k. Oak added modest 25kg to his deadlift personal best bringing it up to cool 155kg - watch out for big weights coming from Oak in near future!)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun May 09, 2004 2:29 pm

It was WKD!!!! Place was totally packed from beginning to end. At one point I had to TEXT Rochelle, who was on the VBB stall across from my wee Tower Hill Stables one, because it was so busy I couldn't even see her, never mind shouting for attention :)
Pete, no, I didn't take cakes along with the dog biscuits, as those were a massive undertaking as it was. I made 40 bags, with Rochelle's help. She made a few trays and a Very nice, cool label to go on the bags, which made it look proper professional - and they sold out at 3.00! I'm pretty pleased with that, and the donations.
Making treats for humans alongside it is something else to consider though...you never know, maybe next time, but you'll have to come up and see for yourself :P
Unfortunately I only got to watch Martin's skills from a wee distance, whenever there was a gap in the crowd, but I'm sure he made an excellent contribution towards dispelling the myth of the "weak vegans" :wink: - alongside Joni and Oak that is!
Also really nice to meet LGB and mtbkid. I was well impressed with yous riding up all the way just for the festie!
Afterwards I felt sick from all the sweet stuff that I treated myself to, and I'm on my way again, with the rest of the bag of "honey"comb next to my keyboard. Obviously I will not be starting to log ANY kind of diet for the next days!
Whoever didn't come while they could've: you missed out BIG time! And anyone else: if there isn't a vegan fair around where you live, organise one! It's absolutely great!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun May 09, 2004 9:17 pm

The festival was ace! It was well worth the ride just to meet all yous off the board and put names to faces, nevermind all the rather tasty food we went home with! And lots of knowledge of more vegan issues. We managed to bump into several other vegans we know too, so that was rather nice.

The dog biccies went down really well with brodie, well rather too well, as it turns out that the weinmarana (im not really sure how you spell it!) is allergic to soya and wheat - oops! Maybe this is one breed of dog that could never be vegan?

So how many people have gone out to buy a bag of nails?!!!!
littlegirlbunny

Postby Mary » Sun May 09, 2004 9:47 pm

Hello there LGB.

Just to say, I am really sorry I missed you with all the running around! It was great meeting the rest of you though, and I was dead chuffed to be one of the females who about half closed the weakest gripper. For my next trick I want to be able to shut the bloody thing, then move onto number 2. Give me half a decade and I shall make headlines closing number 1! :lol: Well, I can dream... The vegan grip master was great, and hopefully should dispel a few myths on the documentary - bending iron nails with his bare hands on camera! Actions speak louder than words after all. He said, and I quote, "People have this idea that vegans are weak. Well..." Bent an iron rivet right round until the ends met! Then we got a close up of a massively flexed vegan muscle, that was somewhat larger than a baby's head. That'll make people think again!

We had, given our various estimates from people counting at the door, checking raffles sold, etc, over two thousand people through the door. We've already had people contact us looking for mentors to help them go vegan, which is excellent. Also, from the people who were selling the raffle tickets and some of the store holders it looks like between about twelve and three about half the people in the room were meat eaters. They were coming in, walking around and taking bunches of leaflets, asking a few questions and leaving. So hopefully we planted lots of seeds! I was most pleased when a bunch of people came from the farmers market - an intrepid vegan went in and leafleted there, and we had tonnes of people turn up who had come to the FM and were now presented with an alternative to free range organic corpse.

All in all, a fantastic, positive day, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. I was really pleased to with the creche (thanks Billy for helping organise that - again!) and how many really happy people there were in the room. I am still buzzing along on a bit of a high, and am still too cheerful to panic about my exam tomorrow.

Anyway, thank you to everybody who helped, Rochelle and Joni, Billy for putting up with me staying over and nattering on about my Granny :twisted: instead of quietly revising German, Oak and Kay for making themselves known, and anyone I forgot to mention for being just generally fantastic.

Here is to the next one. :!:
Mary

Postby Mary » Mon May 10, 2004 8:03 am

[quote="Pete"]Was neil still smiling after all the stress of organising :?:

Neil was still smiling, I didn't get into a fight, not even at the punk benefit gig the next day. (Sorry to disapoint you - I know I have a reputation to mantain!)

Currently Neil is knackered, and recovering from the event, and I have just realised I have two newsletters to write, and an exam at the end of the day.

Aber ich kann nict Deutsch sprechen - oder beschrieben.

Scheise.
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Mon May 10, 2004 8:29 am

The festival did indeed go really well and I really enjoyed the day. Meeting other board members was especially nice, and of course everyone was really lovely! It was a pleasure to have Oak and K staying with us.

Mary and Neil did a fantastic job of organising, so thanks to you both for bring the festival up north. Thank you both also for the lovely vegan power t-shirt with my Rosie the Riviter avatar- I'll wear it proudly!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Vegan fair

Postby Oak » Mon May 10, 2004 1:40 pm

Well K and I really enjoyed ourselves. Really really enjoyed ourselves.

The Fair was an absoloute success - well done Mary, Neil and the other organisers. It was great to meet Shaemas (embarass myself by not knowing how to spell names) no doubt he's going to grow up from a kind little kid to a lovely adult.

It's a pity that Pete didn't make it, was looking forward to meeting you, no doubt see you at a Vegan bodybuilding event soon! I'm sure you will have a pretty strong crush to show off with too!

Really good to meet to meet Prenna! We're in a nail bending race! :lol: I picked up quite a few leaflets, from your stall, for my friend who is thinking of making the transition from meat-eater to vegan. I'll give her lots of encouragement and hopefully the leaflets should help.

I completly forgot to extract grip strength improving techniqes from Martin. There was too much going on. He was very impressive! He has these enormous hands! I'm sure his fingers had little biceps of their own :lol:

It was so lovely to spend time with Joni and Rochelle, and everybody, i have to be emotionally honest and admit that i was gutted to leave :cry:
Had such fun being at peoples houses. Billy made masses of food for muchin. Thankyou! I got to meet Malcom who is a friendly quiet bloke.

I had some excellent technique advice from Joni which is really going to help. Confirmed my technique is purely smelly, in other words awful! But i'm going to put alot of effort in and try to get it right.

It was great to meet Jo and James (Hope i got your names right?), very friendly preople and no weaklings either. Two rock solid vegan bikers 8)

Excellent to meet everyone i did and hope to see you all as soon as pos.

Oak :D
Oak

Postby Pete » Mon May 10, 2004 6:11 pm

As it seems to have gone down well I'll ask Martin to do a article about preparing & doing nail bending. What exercises to start with, what to start bending with, technique etc. Should be of some use (I'll have to learn how to do that now too, as I don't want to be the only failed nail bender come next festival :oops: ), my grip is not all it once was, I can still close #1, but my #2 is further away than ever :( .
By the way Oak fantastic improvement in the DL, sounds like the day(s) went really well.

Still need someone to do volunteer to do a write up, doesn't have to be fancy, just a bit about the day

PS The table looks much improved this year, Rochelle you did a fab job redesigning all the stuff :!:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Mary » Mon May 10, 2004 6:20 pm

I am looking forward to the London Festival now. As Robin and Alyson are organising it I shall have more time to harass the fitness stall! And Joni, do you have a mail order address for the grippers? I really want to close the bloody things one day!
Mary

Postby JP » Mon May 10, 2004 6:42 pm

[quote="Mary"]And Joni, do you have a mail order address for the grippers? I really want to close the bloody things one day!

http://www.pullumsports.com/

My suggestion: Order the trainer. Once you close that, go for the next one up which is the #1.
JP
Site Admin

Postby GenTDuke » Tue May 11, 2004 4:25 pm

"Sad Panda", it was a shame I could not come along, London in July is a must.
GenTDuke

Postby K » Tue May 11, 2004 11:27 pm

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a fabulous time at the fair! I couldn't believe how busy it was, which was really good for me so I could meet so many fantastic people! :D

Billy - thank you for cooking our scrummy meal, it was a lovely suprise; Mary - thank you for showing me your crazily-easy-to-get-into yogic positions; Prenna - thank you for letting me have a go of your sand bags; Martin - will need to challenge you to a no. 4 gripper as I'm finding the 3's a piece of piss! :wink:

Rochelle and Joni - THANK YOU so much for letting Oak and I stay, we loved it! I am going to remember that massive white plate full of sweets for a very long time, YUM! Thank you for taking us to the gym, it was really good to get help with my weights and yoga.

See you soon!

K

PS Oak has just bend his nail 10 degrees - YIPPEE! :mrgreen:
K

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events