Any campaigners out there?

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

How many of us are animal rights activists or campaigners?

Animal Rights Campaigner
80%
Human Rights Campaigner
No votes
Environmental Campaigner
No votes
Caregiver
5%
Other interests
15%

Total votes : 20

Postby JP » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:04 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Glad to see other active people on here! I gotta say that from the messages i've read, this is one of the more 'balanced' veggie communities online..kick ass.

Ahem, vegan communities ;) Sure there are veggies here as well, but if vegans make up to 95% of the users and most of the rest are going vegan then we could be brave and call it a vegan community :D

Good to hear you like it - especially since you have been around and have loads of experience on online stuff. What do you mean by balanced though? In terms of vegan activism? Or we have a good balance of loonies :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:35 am

heh - my veggie remark is in relation to the other communities, no doubting the vegan-rifficness of this board. =)

I mean that people seem fairly rational, level-headed, they think before they post, etc.. Mature maybe..? A little hard to explain.. It's all good tho!
Dave Noisy

Postby Mary » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:17 am

I have never been described as level headed before! :lol: Just think how firey and :twisted: some of these other boards must be.

Anyhoo, very nice to have you here. Look forward to seeing you around.
Mary

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:37 pm

Mature, level headed? Hmm, I've been offline for weeks, must be it. :?

See ya round!
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby barbara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:03 am

I am an animal activist newbie/novice! and newly more environmentally aware as a result.

I am presently campaigning to have our city join the 19 other communities in BC with bylaws against animal performing circuses. It is looking very promising so far!

Also, our SPCA here has developed a program based on your Freedom Food program in the UK. Right now 95% of all animal products to the consumer come from factory farms! I am helping them push local grocery stores to carry more organic and the new SPCA certified products as most in my city only sell the factory farmed varieties. Also campaigning to educate people on the real life horror movie that factory farming really is with the Why Veg brochures and soon, booths all over my city.

If a vegan saves 95 animal lives a year that means each and every meat eater is responsible for the suffering and death of 95 lives a year. So many people are unaware and I feel it is my duty to these poor creatures to let everyone around me know about it. Not so much in your face as that doesn't seem to work but more with educational materials and options.

I also wear a message shirt everyday. I find that starts the best conversations. Want to do more but still looking for a group or more individuals to join the cause. According to our mayor, I was the only one who protested the circus when they came a few weeks ago!

Wish everyone could be vegan but if not, at least more humane alternatives. How factory farming can be legal is beyond my comprehension. :shock:

I have seen the website on the Freedom Food program. I would be very interested if anyone knows how successful it still is.

I also agree that this is a fantastic forum! I have been on a particular vegetarian forums where talking veganism pushes alot of buttons. Just trying to discuss anything vegan such as leather alternatives ruffles many feathers! It is a comfort to be able to speak freely and say openly, I AM VEGAN!!! :D
barbara

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:15 am

[quote="barbara"]
I have seen the website on the Freedom Food program. I would be very interested if anyone knows how successful it still is.

Hi Barbara,

I hate to be the one that brings bad messages, but in the UK it appeared that farms who operated under the banner of the RSPCA's "Freedom Foods" subjected the animals in their "care" to no better conditions than the ones who didn't. Sheds and cages were still over crowded, with sick and injured animals, who obviously did not have any "freedom" at all to move etc. From what I remember - and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong - the RSPCA was plain dismissive about the findings andkept insisting that their "Freedom Foods" farms were a lot better than the rest. Hmmmm.
I personally have come to mistrust anything the RSPCA does, other than rescuing cuddly cats and dogs. I hope the SPCA at your end is better.

See ya,
Malcolm's Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:12 am

Hi there.

Check out our Real Freedom Foods campaign - the RSPCA over here have been putting meat recipes up on their website, which is disgusting I think you would agree!

www.realfood.org.uk
Mary

Postby barbara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:24 am

Oh, I do hope so too!!! Just once, I would like to see something positive happen for the animal side! I agree with Blaz that animals are the most abused group with the least rights. It can get really hard to sleep sometimes!

This is still in the very early stages but now that I think of it, here in Canada, the SPCA doesn't have the authority to view the living areas of farm animals. I guess I will have to questions the co-ordinator about how they plan on regulating this aspect of it if they can't inspect it regularly! Good point. Thank you for letting me know.

I am really sad to hear that it isn't working as well there as we have been told. I am going to find out how they plan on making sure the same thing doesn't happen here.

Are organic meats and other organic animal products widespread in the UK? I was surprised to see how little of it consumers buy here.

Thanks again for the info Malcolm's Billy! (great name!!!)
barbara

Postby barbara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:32 am

Hi Mary,

Yes, definitely awful and hypocritical!!! Why would they do that? It is such a contradiction.

I guess now that I think of it, if they are signing up all these farms, they would try and promote them too. I remember now that the co-ordinator here was talking of cooking at the big food show here. Cooking what? It never even crossed my mind. If it is meat, I am so out of there!!!

Thanks for the link! Great website!!! Good to see what you are doing over there. It inspires me to think maybe I don't need the SPCA umbrella. There are only 3 of us right now but like whoever said it, Never doubt that a small group....

Again, so happy to have found this site!!!
barbara

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:42 am

There are only two of us at real food, and one of us is in hospital right now. If you have three active people, and can network with others to help you (as Neil and I do) then you can really go places!
Mary

Postby barbara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:09 am

My problem is that I am the only vegan out of the 3 of us. One (my partner) is vegetarian and the other (my sister) is still an omnivore. The vegetarian has just been for less than a month now (gave up all meat with the Why Vegan booklet) and the omnivore has given up alot so far but not quite ready. Both are in transition though!!! :D

This isn't an issue with some of the campaigns but anything vegan, I am on my own at the moment. The fact that the two of you, you alone at the moment, can be active without a "large umbrella" is inspiring to me! I can set up my own booth!!!
barbara

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:40 pm

Hey Barbara - stay away from the SPCA. As said, they're (usually) great with cats and dogs, but they should limit their activities...

In Van, you should contact the Humane Society, they've got a fairly progressive anti-factory farm program in the works. (They don't actually say 'go vegan', but they do disclose a lot of factory farm horrors..)

Debra Probart is really great, she runs the office, here's their website:

http://www.vancouverhumanesociety.bc.ca

If you want to get into fur, my good friend Rae has been campaigning against Famous Players for the last year and a half, and could use help as well, our campaign is here:

http://www.skinned.ca

Earthsave is also a pretty good food-issue group:

http://www.earthsave.bc.ca

Finally, there's a group called Vegan Voices, and they've got a small collection of vegans who hang out on their message board, tho it's a very inactive group:

http://www.veganvoices.org

That's Van in a nutshell. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby barbara » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:01 am

You know I never even heard of the Vancouver Humane Society? Thanks for the link! Sounds like a group I need to know more about. I am a member of Earthsave and I will also look into your friend's group as fur is definitely an important issue for me.

Thanks Dave!
barbara

Previous

Return to Vegan activism and events