Any campaigners out there?

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

How many of us are animal rights activists or campaigners?

Animal Rights Campaigner
80%
Human Rights Campaigner
No votes
Environmental Campaigner
No votes
Caregiver
5%
Other interests
15%

Total votes : 20

Any campaigners out there?

Postby Mary » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:49 pm

There was a really interesting question asked earlier about what our hobbies were. As I am a full time vegan and animal rights campaigner I can't really call it a hobby, so couldn't mention it on that thread.

Who else out there does AR or vegan campaigning, and also, what kind of jobs do people do? Care giving, teaching, charity work etc. These seem to me to be more common amongst vegans. Anyone else agree?
Mary

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:32 pm

I voted 'other', as I'm into animal rights as well as human rights as well as environmental campaigning - although I have to admit I'm doing shamefully little at the moment to contribute :oops: . One reason is that my main 'occupation' in that field is being a caregiver to Malcolm. He has missed out on a helluvalot the first 5 years of his life (3 years in a shelter, the 2 years before ? but as he ended up in the shelter and was extremely timid and scared of everything when I got him, I imagine it can't have been much), so now I don't want to miss out on any opportunity to give him the best I can offer him. Part of that is that I want to leave him with other people as little as possible. As it is, he does spend quite a bit of time at a friend's house and in return I have his dog when he's away. So when either one of us (or both) is at all able to, we take them out to the countryside - Manchester isn't exactly dog heaven :(
My longterm dream is to have a house in the countryside where I am able to give care to lots more animals. Unfortunately for the near future I expect that people who'll want to take care of abandoned/abused animals will still be needed.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby JP » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:48 pm

i voted animal rights campaigner, though i do all sorts - not so much at the moment outside animal rights/veganism (and veganism in itself covers human and enviro issues as well), but used to be more active in things like defending asylym seekers in anti-detention and deportation campaigns, trade union issues etc.

But at the moment vegan/AR issues are the ones taking most of my campaigning time.
JP
Site Admin

Animal rights, but also so much more!

Postby Daniel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:39 pm

I voted animal rights, but I really had to think about which to vote for. I voted for animal rights because for ten years that has been the issue I spend the most time on. But I consider other causes important too, and I try to help out when I can.

I work at a residential treatment center and have done this work for about six years. I work with residents between 12 and 18 years old who have psychological and/or drug issues. Mary, is this the kind of job you meant by "care giving"?

I am not currently working with any particular organization or campaign right now, but the last group I worked with let me expand my activism beyond animals' rights. I coordinated two campaigns. One was building coalitions and organize cross-movement events with other progressive organizations that might not normally work on issues related to animals' rights. The other campaign I worked on involved speaking out against so-called "animal rights" organizations that promoted racist, sexist, heterosexist, anti-worker, pro-war, anti-environmental, misanthropic or speciesist campaigns and policies.

I don't think you can work on veganism and animal rights to the exclusion of other causes. Not that you have to spend your time campaigning for all causes, but at least don't do things that disparage or other wise harm them.
Daniel

Postby Mary » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:58 pm

Yes, that is what I meant by care giving. I find a lot of vegans work in more ethical jobs than most, as mental health nurses, teachers, etc.

Interesting work you have done there Daniel. Yes, I agree it is impossible to work on animal rights to the exclusion of other causes, because animal rights is part and parcel of all rights. If animal abuse acted as the precedent on which all other abuses are based, then addressing that abuse at root, where it begins in its most extreme form, is the cure for all abuse. If we refuse to accept cruelty to all living creatures, then surely that includes us too.

I am really glad there are other vegans out there who see through some of the racist propoganda that hijacks the movement sometimes. Neil and I have got into arguments with meat eating dog lovers who hate all asian people because "they all eat dogs." I know an Asian vegan who has been spat at in the street because the meat eater who abused her claimed she "ate dogs." That one shocked me, though I imagine it shocked her more. People need to see animal rights in a coherent manner, as a philosophy that makes logical sense, not just as a jumble of feelings.

Well, that's my tuppenworth anyways!
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:58 am

I can't vote because my activism is not limited to any one of these. I've done and continue to do a bit of everything.

As I was born in South Africa in the 70's and raised in the apartheid era I had one of 2 choices when I was growing up and forming my beliefs- conform or rebel. Guess what I chose:) That politicised me and prepared me later for the animal rights and enviromental movements that I became part of at various stage in my life and at various levels of intensity.

So I can't honestly vote.

I see this board as an extension of my activism. We started this board with the intention of it becoming a sort of campaigning tool. Has it succeeded? Will it succeed? I hope so!

Rochelle
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:29 am

This board is one of the best forums I have seen anywhere to promote veganism, so yeah! You are doing a great job with it. People interested in the diet can see from the content that vegans are a varied bunch a healthy bunch - and we can discuss and refine our philosophical and political beliefs as well without people telling us we are extremists for caring. So well done to everyone involved in getting the Vegan Fitness Forum up and running.
Mary

Euality and Nonviolence Campaigner

Postby Daniel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:24 pm

Thought about this some more and I wish I could change my vote. While it is true that I've spent more time working on animal rights, I consider my activism to be for equality and nonviolence, which includes animal rights and veganism. So, although I voted "Animal Rights Campaigner," I wish I could have voted "Equality and Nonviolence Campaigner." Guess I should have voted "Other."
Daniel

Postby Mary » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Guess I should have added more options - possibly "all of the above." :lol:

Interesting answers though, given that so many of my friends from before animal rights told me that AR people were single issue campaigners. Yeah, right! That is why Daniel's activism spills into every part of his life is it? Hmmm. :?
Mary

Postby Blaz » Tue May 04, 2004 1:41 pm

Voted for animal rights - I feel animals are the most abused group with the least rights. But I'm for plant rights, too. :)

I have succedeed to persuade a few people into vegetarian/(almost)vegan style of life. I wear a showy vegan T-shirt and I join demonstrations that are not too far.

I take you occupied people here as example, as a stimulation for doing more in the future. Thank you all :!:
Blaz

Animal Rights

Postby Lynne » Mon May 24, 2004 12:12 am

I voted animal rights campaigner. I started being active at the beginning of this year. Up to now it has been an eye opener for me. I am a peaceful demonstrator but already have been searched and had to produce my driving documents having been stopped twice in 3 hours.

Still the fight goes on!
For the animals
Lynne

Postby Strix » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:28 pm

I clicked "other interests" since I was heavily involved with protesting the Iraq war before we invaded and became occupiers. I'm gearing up for more this summer :).
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby stateofflux » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:30 pm

good to hear that you are involved in that, Strix. I've been involved in anti-war stuff here as well.

R
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:55 pm

It can be disheartening sometimes when it seems no one is listening. :(
I think it is obscene the way the People have acquiesced to war hawks. It is an obscenity for millions to be spent while there are people homeless(many elderly, many mentally ill); people unable to get an education; people starving; people dying of AIDS; people unable to go for a doctor visit for the basic of care, much less take their children for regular necessary checkups in the United States of America. And the list of atrocities is endless, born of this war.
Yea, I need to let off some steam...where's my picket sign?!! :D
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:32 am

AR & Vegan activism here.. I'm the main organizer of the local AR group, plus do a lot with the veggie group...i run and contribute to a number of AR/veggie email lists..run a number of websites...got my fingers in a number of pots. =)

I'm self-employed as a website designer for $$, tho i'm also a musician.

Glad to see other active people on here! I gotta say that from the messages i've read, this is one of the more 'balanced' veggie communities online..kick ass.
Dave Noisy

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events