West Midlands Vegan Festival. Sat 26th Oct

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

West Midlands Vegan Festival. Sat 26th Oct

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I've had an email from Kevin, one of the organisers.

[quote]This year's West Midlands Vegan Fest takes place on Sat 26th Oct, 10am - 6pm (open an hour longer this year!). Would Vegan Fitness be interested in having a stall and organising a rowing machine fitness challenge again? It seemed to go very well last year. Please find a booking form attached (in 2 formats). We still have lots of slots free if someone from the group would like to give a talk, so please let me know.

I'll get in touch with John Barleycorn and see if we can borrow his rowing machine again. They were short of tables last year, I can bring one.
Anyone want to do a talk ? After sitting in on one last year with a few of the VF crew, I'm sure we could do better.

A couple of ideas for improvements;
We need a banner. We had a big blank wall behind us, we should use it.
We need a better way to display times. Something big on the wall, rather than a sheet of A4 on the table.
A crowd attracts a crowd. We need more VFers hanging around and rowing.

Last year's Celebrity Vegan opening the festival was more of a raw food self publicist than a proper celebrity.
It would be good to get a vegan athlete as this year's celebrity.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Re: West Midlands Vegan Festival. Sat 26th Oct

Postby mvc94 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 am

It's disappointing not to see any discussion about the fitness challenge, it seemed so popular and successful at last year's event! It is a good attraction so is mentioned on the reverse of the leaflet, alongside the push-up contest, so we hope it can still go ahead!

And if someone would like to give a talk, we still have slots available, so please let us know.

If you have connections with any well known vegan athletes etc, please do put us in touch, we still need someone to open this year's event! :)
Midlands Vegan Campaigns
For the benefit of animals, people & the planet
mvc94

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 pm

This thread's a bit quiet.
For various reasons; there were no replies here, I've lost contact with John Barleycorn and don't know where he is, and I'm not really active on the forum any more, I didn't follow this up.
However, there's a rowing machine at the right price locally which I'm seriously considering buying, so I've emailed the organisers to see if it's not too late to get in.
Is anyone else interested in getting involved ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 am

I've bought the rowing machine and will be collecting it later today.
Kevin is keen to have us there, as the rowing challenge was popular last year, and has even moved another stall so we can be next to VBB.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 pm

I've got the rowing machine, I've got a table, I've paid for the stall. Still no replies...
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

I'll be around, can cover for lunch breaks and stuff. Wouldn't want to commit to much more because I may have a share of child watching to do, but I don't mind making sure no-one nicks it or tries to blag the scores for a shift or two...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:53 am

That'll be great thanks. At the moment it's just Mary and myself, so any help that allows us a bit of time off to see the rest of the festival is a bonus
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby kallefs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 am

Wish I could be there! It was great fun last year.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby silver » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm working that day, so I'm of no use either, sorry.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:10 pm

The results.
V=Vegan
V=Vegetarian

Female under 16
Lara V 3:03.4
Victoria V 3:16.8
Zarina V 3:24.2
Abby V 2:00.0 Second fastest woman at only 14 years old
Olivia V 3:30.0
Isis V 3:45.0
Erin V 2:32.0

Male under 16
Caden V 3:02.5
Orlando V 3:07.1

Female
Kasia V 1:58.1
Helen V 2:00.9

Male
Sam V 1:35.9
Lee V 1:46.0
Robert V 1:35.3 Fastest overall
Sam V 2:03.0

Female over 40
Mary V 2:14.2
Janet V 3:19.6
Dawn V 1:53.8 Fastest woman overall

Male over 40
Graham V 1:43.5
Spence V 2:09.4
Mark V 1:48.6
Matt V 1:51.7
Nick V 1:50.8
Stuart V 1:44.8
Last edited by VeganGraham on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby kallefs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Nice to see vegans on almost all top spots!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 am

As the day went on, I could see vegans were leading every category, except open women's.
The rowing machine is a kid magnet, most of them wanted to keep coming back for another go, but it was hard to persuade women to try it.
Eventually, Stuart & Dawn turned up, with Stuart setting second fastest male over 40 and Dawn setting fastest female over 40, also beating the open leader, so I'd count that as vegans winning every category.

Caden was by far the most enthusiastic competitor, he even had a go at 10000m and I think he did quite well on the VBB press up challenge as well.
Abby was outstanding for a 14 year old.
Male over 40 was the close, with only about 8 seconds between the top five.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Return to Vegan activism and events