Vegan Boot Camp, Feb/March 2013, Peak District. Interested?

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Boot Camp, Feb/March 2013, Peak District. Interested?

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm

For a while now,I've been thinking of organising a long weekend of boot camp style activities, such as running, orienteering, mountain biking, aerobics, maybe a bit of yoga. Plus full-on wholefood meals with lots of stir-fried veg and brown rice.

The emphasis would be on fun, pushing ourselves and discipline. I know a running instructor and could find some other skilled people to put us through it. People would come "at own risk".

You can hire a camping barn in The Peak District National Park for about £5 per person per night off peak, with showers, kitchen facilities etc. Manchester is a bit more than half an hour away by train, and people could car share. The Peak District is within 3 hours travel of the majority of people in Britain.

if anybody is interested, please PM me and I'll form an email list for interested people. I reckon 8-12 people would be ideal.
Hiking Fox

Re: Vegan Boot Camp, Feb/March 2013, Peak District. Interest

Postby tal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm

I am definitely interested, but have a fairly poor level of cardio fitness, would you need to be super-fit to do this?
tal

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

No way! The idea is that unfit people get a kickstart to fitness and that quite fit people get more encouragement and motivation. There could be some compulsory activities (like a morning packrun) and other optional ones (like mountain biking and yoga).

We had in mind that a "buddy" system could be set up at the event, whereby people at the same level pair up to keep in touch about progress during the months that follow.
Hiking Fox

Postby tal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 am

In that case, I'm up for that.

I should be able to work around whichever date is chosen provided there is a bit of notice.
tal

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 am

I was thinking it could go something like this (bear in mind these are just ideas I've had. Contributions welcome):

Day 1 (Friday)

Afternoon: Arrivals and light buffet food. Optional guided hillwalk.

Evening: Welcomes over a meal. Discussion about personal goals.

Day 2

Early morning: Pack run. Two levels - beginners and fitter.

Showers and breakfast

Buddy system explained and people pair up. Question and answers skillshare. Discussion about personal goals, with people encouraged to talk about what holds them back and what challenges they face.

Discussion about good running technique.

Afternoon: Orienteering or long hike, with packed lunch

Indoor exercise session with options like yoga, lifting etc. depending on interests of participants

Evening: Meal, followed by session on assertiveness and active decision-making.

Free time

Day 3

Similar to above, with different discussions if needed.

Fell running would be an option for those fit enough and with the right shoes.

Day 4 (Monday)

Breakfast followed by an activity requested by group.

Goodbyes and packed lunches.

Optional activity for those not in a hurry to get home.
Hiking Fox

Postby XindestructibleX » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Yes, interested!
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Postby JS » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Hiking Fox I reckon I'd be up for this kind of weekend depending. Once a date was confirmed I could let you know as I currently have other tentative plans bubbling away such as snow holidays :)
JS

Postby Twoism » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:53 pm

I like the sound of this. I've never done orienteering and I haven't been on a bike for about 13 years. And I'm very inflexible. But my cardio isn't too bad. But I'm more of a grappler, so maybe it's a different kind of fitness. I'll be honest, I don't think I will be putting time into biking, running or orienteering after the camp. Grappling is my passion and takes up any free time I do get. But I will see it as an opportunity to take myself out of my comfort zone, get fitter and (finally) meet some fellow vegans.

Hmmm, tried to PM you Hiking Fox but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so. If there is still room, I am serious about attending the boot camp.
Twoism

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 pm

[quote="Twoism"]Hmmm, tried to PM you Hiking Fox but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so. If there is still room, I am serious about attending the boot camp.

Sorry about this. I disabled PM's a few weeks back as I no longer post regularly and am trying to work out how to delete my account. I didn't want PMs to sit around for weeks unnoticed. There doesn't seem to be a delete option and I intend this to be my last post on VF.

When I organise this event, I'll put the info about a lot on the internet. It won't be early next Spring, unfortunately, as I'm currently in too much pain to walk much, let alone do all the running I used to do. Summat up with my back/nerves that doctors are using needles and electricity to try and suss out. In the meantime, watch this space, as I've got some great instructors interested and the event will happen at some point...
Hiking Fox

Postby muchluv » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:54 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"][quote="Twoism"]Hmmm, tried to PM you Hiking Fox but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so. If there is still room, I am serious about attending the boot camp.

[quote]Sorry about this. I disabled PM's a few weeks back as I no longer post regularly and am trying to work out how to delete my account. I didn't want PMs to sit around for weeks unnoticed. There doesn't seem to be a delete option and I intend this to be my last post on VF.

aw, why Hiking Fox :(. Would be a shame for you to go!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby JS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 pm

that's a shame hiking fox.......your posts usually give me a good chuckle :)
JS

Postby JennyPe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey this sounds right up my street and I would definitely be interested :)
JennyPe

Postby Twoism » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 am

Well I hope this goes ahead. Keep us posted :)
Twoism

Postby Heidi-Paris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm interested if this is still in the pipeline!
Heidi-Paris

Postby kallefs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm interested but I would not count on me just yet ;) which is the best airport to fly to?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Return to Vegan activism and events