Vegan cafe startup fund in Finsbury Park, London

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan cafe startup fund in Finsbury Park, London

Postby baldy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 am

http://startsomegood.com/Venture/lennys ... afe_happen

[quote]Campaign Overview

I'm opening a vegan worker's co-operative cafe in Finsbury Park, London, with delicious vegan eats for all, at very reasonable prices.

Lenny's is going to open on busy Blackstock Rd, in the former Caribbean take away and restaurant known as Granny's! It's cute and won't take too much work to make it ship shape and ready to go, but it does need some equipment, crockery, cutlery, coffee machine, insurance and many many other tiny things. The costs mount up incredibly fast!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Vegan cafe startup fund in Finsbury Park, London

Postby mouche » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for posting, that's very cool!

Don't have the funds myself to spare at the moment, but have tweeted it so hopefully someone more useful than me will see it. When I next have a "screw this I'm just going to blow whatever money I want on whatever I want" moment I'll definitely pay their page another visit!
mouche

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Cool--I live quite near Finsbury Park so would probably go to this place. I also don't have money to give right now but will be keeping it in mind for when I do have some spare.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby JP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:14 pm

firstly, awesome venture and i hope it gets set up.

but am i the only one wondering the chances of success if someone hasnt been able to save or find that amount of money without asking people for donations?

genuine question, dont want to be a dick about this but just wondering...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:37 pm

You are right to wonder.

Running a café for a year costs thousands of pounds and they should expect to make a loss for at least the first year, even if working twelve hour days, six days a week. Four out of five café start ups fail within 5 years.

I wouldn't touch this project with a cash-coated bargepole unless they come up with a way to,

a. Guarantee that all the money donated will be spent on the café and not trousered by the people setting it up, and;

b. Have some kind of system in place for accepting money, like loanstock with a time-period for repayment (e.g. two years or five years).
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

thats the thing, i have seen now several start up projects milking others because of the vegan angle and really shit plans and foundations.

but, i dont know about this case, it could be that the person is really really good and this will be awesome.

but just dont want people to be fooled just because they want to support a vegan project.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Vegan activism and events